Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Clearing most of my credit cards debt avoiding to lose my benefits.

Hello,

I am claiming PIP and ESA IR and I am planning to sell my home in order to buy a smaller place and also to clear most of my credit cards debt (£28000 overall). I expect to have £22000/£25000 sitting in my bank account at the end of the conveyancing, which exceeds the minimum threshold of £16000. I am going to clear most of my debt with those funds the same day I receive them. What complications might arise with the DWP and what documentations they will need to see? My benefit will be stopped?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Once you receive the money in your bank you will need to report it to DWP. As you will be exceeding the amount you're entitled to themn your ESA will stop (if it's all Income Related ESA) if part of it is Contributions based then this part will continue.

Paying of debt is unfortunately, classed as deprivation of capital unless you're receiving letters demanding payment. Deprivation of capital means you'll still be classed as having the money. Hope this helps.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • theitalianalientheitalianalien Member Posts: 44 Connected
    Hi Poppy, 
    thanks for your help......well I guess it's better to buy a more expensive flat then and have just under £6000 profit circulating in my bank account.

Thanks
    Are you 100% sure that all your ESA is Income Related? or is part of it Contributions based? if you're not sure then you can ring DWP to ask.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Yes it is, before claiming I worked for nearly 14 years. I guess they won't stop my PIP, in case I exceed the £16000 threshold
    My Esa is all Income related.
    If you worked for 14 years before claiming ESA then part of it could be Contributions based. Were you previously claiming Incapacity benefit before ESA?

PIP won't be affect because it's not means tested. If you're claiming council tax reduction this will also be affected if you have £16,000 and over.
    I'll check the paperwork then. No I wasn't claiming incapacity benefit.

Yes sure I will have to pay the full council tax.
    It's not always easy to understand the paper work from DWP especially with ESA. Possibly one of the most confusing letters i've ever seen. Best thing to do if you don't understand it is to ring them and ask.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,067 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, nice to have you on board here, I see your query has been answered anything els we can help you with just ask
  • OxonladyOxonlady Member Posts: 381 Pioneering
    theitalianalien and poppy123456, sorry to intrude in your conversation but please could explain to me what the £16,000 threshold is? I always thought that if you have more than £6000 in your bank account, then you'd lose your ESA and consequently Housing benefit and Council Tax relief? I realise that DLA and PIP are not means tested. 
    Oxonlady said:
    theitalianalien and poppy123456, sorry to intrude in your conversation but please could explain to me what the £16,000 threshold is? I always thought that if you have more than £6000 in your bank account, then you'd lose your ESA and consequently Housing benefit and Council Tax relief? I realise that DLA and PIP are not means tested. 

Savings of £16,000 and over and yes you will not be entitled to any means tested benefits. Less than this but more than £6,000 and your benefits will be reduced by £1 per week for every £250 over that amount. If claiming UC there's a £4.35 per month deduction for every £250 over that amount.
    As far as I am aware you can have less than £6000 and this amount will be ignored by the DWP, if you have more than £6000 up to a maximum of £16000 your benefit will be reduced and there is a calculation to be made. Over £16000 ESA will be stopped. Yes council tax relief will be lost if you have more than £6000, I dont know about housing benefit, cos I never claimed it.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,707 Disability Gamechanger
    As above if part of your ESA is Cont. based that would continue and you would only lose the IR part (i've recently gone through this myself.)
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
    Thanks for the input woodbine
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Hi @theitalianalien, I may be naive but why not ask the dwp? Pose it as a possible outcome when you sell your property, ie “what if I have more than 16000 would it be okay to pay off my credit card debts or would that be classed as wrong?” Or similar. 
    in the same situation I once asked them if I could buy double glazing and they told me home improvements were fine, ie new kitchen, double glazing etc. 
    Just a thought.
    Yes I am going to ask them too. It's just my daily thought for something that didnt materialise. Well home improvements are not in my case, I am trying to clear debts using my own funds, but it will be classed as deprivation of capital, but again I will give them a call on Monday.
    edited July 2020
    Under the old legacy benefits such as Income Related ESA/JSA and income support, paying off debt with a large lump sum is classed as deprivation of capital in order to claim a means tested benefit. If you're paying off debt weekly with your own money, of course it's not deprivation of capital.

However, under Universal Credit, paying off debt is not classed as deprivation of capital.

Do also be aware that asking DWP this sort of advice, you may not be given the correct advice, as it has been known for them to give bad advice. Yes, ask them whether your ESA is income related or Contributions based or part both because they will look at your claim and tell you.
    Thanks for your input and to be so bright to understand my position...I had many advises, which were not accurate
    You're very welcome. I'm glad i could help :)
    I've already checked my paperwork and it is all IR ESA, so I think I will do like the last time I sold my flat and bought another one...I will have to be just careful and work out that I end up with less than £6000 profit in my bank account.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,923

Scope community team

It's a shame that ESA didn't change their rules on capital and deprivation to mirror Universal Credit's as this would be allowed on UC.
    I hope you manage to find a resolution @theitalianalien
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    I agree with what you said Adrian. It would be great and obvious if an individual could clear personal debts with own resources in 1 go, like my flat in this instance, instead of being defined in that way (deprivation of capital it sounds awful). I sold my previous flat last year, cleared my mortgage (£21000) and I had £5000 circulating in my bank account (just under the £6000 threshold) for few days so I cleared some of my credit cards debts and I sent many many document to the DWP and they replied saying that it was all ok, but I still have a large amount of debts as I mentioned before. I think I will have to work out in the same way like last year, reducing my debt by another £6000 is not a bad idea and it wouldn't upset the DWP.
    You're very welcome. I'm glad i could help :)
    Hi Poppy123456, My flat is still on the market, but I would like ask you about another possible scenario, what happens if I end up with an amount between £6000 and £16000 in my bank account? I will be free to clear part of my credit card debt or it is still deprivation of capital? I am aware that my benefit will not be stopped, but reduced. Thanks in advance 
    When claiming the old legacy benefits such as Income related ESA then paying off debt that's not imediately repayable (you're receiving letters demanding payment) then it's classed as deprivation of capital.
    When claiming the old legacy benefits such as Income related ESA then paying off debt that's not imediately repayable (you're receiving letters demanding payment) then it's classed as deprivation of capital.
    Thanks for your reply. So in few words even within the £16000 threshold is still a problem and if I spend £10000 on home renovation....such as new kitchen and new bathroom (LeeCal mentioned before) would be ok? I guess the DWP will ask all the invoices?   
    I can't tell you what will be ok and what won't be. It's rather a grey area and only the decision maker can decide that. Providing you don't buy the most expensive things then i can't see there being any issues.
    I can't tell you what will be ok and what won't be. It's rather a grey area and only the decision maker can decide that. Providing you don't buy the most expensive things then i can't see there being any issues.
    Thanks. Have a lovely weekend.
    Thanks. Have a lovely weekend.
    Hello poppy, how are you? You sound very competent about benefits and I would like to ask you a question about a completely different matter. What happens to IR ESA and PIP if I get married? My girlfriend doesn't work, doesn't claim benefits and she has no savings.
    As you're already claiming Income Related ESA then you should be able to add her to your claim so it becomes a couples claim. Your ESA will increase a little. PIP won't be affected because it's not means tested.

If she doesn't claim any benefits and doesn't work then how is she supporting herself?
    As you're already claiming Income Related ESA then you should be able to add her to your claim so it becomes a couples claim. Your ESA will increase a little. PIP won't be affected because it's not means tested.

If she doesn't claim any benefits and doesn't work then how is she supporting herself?
    Thanks for your reply. She is living with her parents.
    edited August 2020
    You're welcome,

She should still be entitled to claim benefits even when living with parents, unless she's a student.  She also needs to think about her national insurance for her state pension. The credits are given when claiming certain benefits.

One thing i did forget to mention, if you're claiming the SDP in with your ESA at the moment, if your partner moves in with you then you won't be entitled to claim this, unless she also claims a disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or she's registered blind.

If she moves in with you She could claims carers allowance if she looks after you for at least 35 hours per week. This will then pay her NI credits towards her state pension because if she's added to your ESA then only you will receive those NI credits.

Hope this helps.
    You're welcome,

She should still be entitled to claim benefits even when living with parents, unless she's a student.  She also needs to think about her national insurance for her state pension. The credits are given when claiming certain benefits.

One thing i did forget to mention, if you're claiming the SDP in with your ESA at the moment, if your partner moves in with you then you won't be entitled to claim this, unless she also claims a disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or she's registered blind.

If she moves in with you She could claims carers allowance if she looks after you for at least 35 hours per week. This will then pay her NI credits towards her state pension because if she's added to your ESA then only you will receive those NI credits.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much for highlighting many dark areas. She would move in with me and she hasn't got a disability.
    You're very welcome. Always happy to help and if you need some more advice please do just ask! :)
    You're very welcome. Always happy to help and if you need some more advice please do just ask! :)
    Hello Poppy, how are you? I hope you are well. I would be very glad if you could help me with a possible scenario ahead. I have a buyer for my flat (I accepted an offer of £55000 minus fees and auction fee I should end up with £53000) yesterday I viewed a flat I like listed for £37000, which means I will end up with £16000 in my bank account, so I would like to know if it will be naughty to offer £38000 for the flat so I have a margin, which will not send me over the threshold? I would like to know also if I use £4/5000 for extending the leasehold of the flat will be a problem? I will use the remaining £10000 for renovation (new kitchen, new flooring, new boiler, new windows and new bathroom) Thanks for your help in advance. 
    I'm not too bad, thanks for asking. Hope you are well too?

Even with savings of £15,000 you'll still have a reduction in your ESA of £36 per week. I can't see that extending the leasehold will be any problems if the leasehold needs extending, although i'm not a decision maker and it will be down to them to decide and make the final decision. Likewise for the renovations, if it's needs doing then there shouldn't be any problems, providing you don't buy the most expensive things. Deprivation of capital is a very grey area and the only one that can make any decision regarding this is a decision maker.

Of course once the money goes into your bank you will need to report those changes.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the move.
    I'm not too bad, thanks for asking. Hope you are well too?

Even with savings of £15,000 you'll still have a reduction in your ESA of £36 per week. I can't see that extending the leasehold will be any problems if the leasehold needs extending, although i'm not a decision maker and it will be down to them to decide and make the final decision. Likewise for the renovations, if it's needs doing then there shouldn't be any problems, providing you don't buy the most expensive things. Deprivation of capital is a very grey area and the only one that can make any decision regarding this is a decision maker.

Of course once the money goes into your bank you will need to report those changes.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the move.
    Yes, I am ok, thanks for asking and thanks so much for the clear and swift reply.

What happens if the decision maker don't accept the lease extension and what happens if he decides that home renovation is deprivation of capital? (Ok I dont buy the most expensive things) but what is their criteria? 

Yes I will communicate straight away, once the funds are in my bank account.....my other worry is that despite offering more than the asking price in order to have £1000 cushion, what if my calculation is wrong instead and the solicitor charges me less, so I end up with more than £16000 in my bank account.....maybe £16500. That would be awkward and illegal to withdraw £600 or to spend it on tiles? 
    Offering more than the asking price could cause problems if DWP found out. I can't advise you on this or whether you should or shouldn't offer more but this could be deprivation of capital.

There's no definition of deprivation of capital because there's no specific guides and the only person that can decide is a decision maker. If deprivation of capital is decided then you'll still be classed as having the money and your benefits will still be reduced.
    Yes so deprivation of capital is really like walking in the darkness, a grey area as you mentioned before.

Ok then well I stick to the asking price and I will surely end up with more than £16000 in my bank account, maybe £16750.....they will stop my benefit cos of that £750 and then I start spending on a new boiler, because the flat needs a new boiler and when I am under the £16000 mark I need to apply for benefit again? They will want to see how I spent?
    Savings of more than £16,000 and all your means tested benefits will stop, including council tax reduction. You can request your ESA remain open for NI credits, if these are needed. Whether you'll be able to go back onto ESA once your savings go below £16,000 i don't know because all areas are now Universal Credit so you may have to claim this.

They may or may not ask to see proof of what you spend the money on, it will really depend on how quick you spent it. As i said, spending the money is a grey area and you can search the internet all day long and it's very unlikely you'll find any answers.
    Savings of more than £16,000 and all your means tested benefits will stop, including council tax reduction. You can request your ESA remain open for NI credits, if these are needed. Whether you'll be able to go back onto ESA once your savings go below £16,000 i don't know because all areas are now Universal Credit so you may have to claim this.

They may or may not ask to see proof of what you spend the money on, it will really depend on how quick you spent it. As i said, spending the money is a grey area and you can search the internet all day long and it's very unlikely you'll find any answers.
    Well if I will be transferred to UC, it might be even better, which means if I pay my credit card debts using all £16000 is not classed as deprivation of capital and it is a big relief for me. 

Thank you so much for taking time in answering all my questions. You are a star!

Have a lovely eve. Sweet dreams when you get there.
    In conclusion I think I should better buy a flat that at the end of the transaction gives me savings under £6000.....because my depression/stress and anxiety levels would go sky high with the £37000 flat's scenario. Good night and thanks again.

Well if I will be transferred to UC, it might be even better, which means if I pay my credit card debts using all £16000 is not classed as deprivation of capital and it is a big relief for me. 

You're right about that. Of course it's your decision what you do but what ever you decide, good luck with the move because this in itself is very stressfull. I've moved house so many times in the past, you'd think i was used to it by now lol. It just becomes more stressful each time.

You're right about that. Of course it's your decision what you do but what ever you decide, good luck with the move because this in itself is very stressfull. I've moved house so many times in the past, you'd think i was used to it by now lol. It just becomes more stressful each time.
    Thanks. How the mechanism work once I go over the £16000 threshold? I will call them and also send them the bank statement for that month, but if I go under the threshold within the same month (buying a new boiler including labour) and it will show up in the bank statement, they will stop it anyway or I will be classed for deprivation of capital, because I spent let's say over £2000 for a new boiler straight away or they won't stop it and they reduced it as you mention before. 
    As soon as the money goes into your bank you will need to ring them to report the changes. If it's more than £16,000 then your ESA will definitely stop. You can ask for your NI credits to still be paid because you have Limited capability for work. Once your money goes below £16,000 then you contact them again but whether you will be able to recieve the ESA payments or not i'm unsure about and you may have to claim Universal Credit. The ESA claim itself may close and just remain open for the NI credits towards your state pension.

It's unlikely that buying a new boiler will be classed as deprivation of capital but no one can tell you for certain because there's no specific guildlines as previously advised.
    Ok thanks, so once I go under that famous amount I just need to call them and they will transfer me to UC, I don't have to fill the capability questionnaire again and have the interview again. Thanks so much for explaining the process.
    No problem. No, they won't transfer you, this will never happen. If your ESA payments can't restart then you have to claim UC yourself. This doesn't mean that you won't be reassessed again if you claim UC, even remaining on ESA you can still be reassessed anytime from 3 months.
    No problem. No, they won't transfer you, this will never happen. If your ESA payments can't restart then you have to claim UC yourself. This doesn't mean that you won't be reassessed again if you claim UC, even remaining on ESA you can still be reassessed anytime from 3 months.
    Ok, well if they can't keep me on ESA, as mentioned on the gov website I can't even claim new style ESA, because I get severe disability premium and 3 years ago I wasnt working. I will have to start a new claim for UC with work capability assessment, show medical reports and interview......it gives me sleepless nights, that's stressing. Thanks for your support.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,083

Scope community team

edited September 2020
    It can be very stressful @theitalianalien, I understand how you must feel. But hopefully the grass is greener on the other side and it can all be sorted out for you soon. 

This community is always here for you if you need support or just want to chat.

Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    You can't claim the new style ESA because you won't have paid the correct amount of NI contributions from working. Claiming the SDP has nothing to do with new style ESA.

As you do claim the SDP this means that you won't be able to claim UC if it's under 1 month since your ESA claim closed because of the SDP rules, providing you still satisfy the conditions to claim the SDP. Had i known about you claiming the SDP earlier then i would have advised you of this.

If it's longer than 1 month then you will need to claim UC.
    See updated regulations for the SDP and UC here. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/10/regulation/2/made

“Restriction on claims for universal credit by persons entitled to a severe disability premium

4A.  No claim may be made for universal credit on or after 16th January 2019 by a single claimant who, or joint claimants either of whom—

(a)is, or has been within the past month, entitled to an award of an existing benefit that includes a severe disability premium; and

(b)in a case where the award ended during that month, has continued to satisfy the conditions for eligibility for a severe disability premium.”

Thanks for your important input
    It can be very stressful @theitalianalien, I understand how you must feel. But hopefully the grass is greener on the other side and it can all be sorted out for you soon. 

This community is always here for you if you need support or just want to chat.

Hi Ross, thanks about that, this forum has been very important and very supportive. 
    You're welcome :)
    You're welcome :)
    Good morning Poppy123456, I had my offer of £50.000 accepted yesterday for a flat in Wales, which is the best and less complicated option. I will have approx. £3000 left in my bank account, well below the £6000 bottom threshold. I would like to ask you if there will be any changes in my IR ESA and PIP considering that I am moving to Wales, but maybe it is a silly question because it is part of the UK. Thank you so much for having the time and patience in explaining so many important regulations these days. You have been fab! 
    It will just be a change of address for both ESA and PIP. Good luck with the move :)
    It will just be a change of address for both ESA and PIP. Good luck with the move :)
    Thanks! Have a lovely Sunday.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,923

Scope community team

Congratulations on the new flat @theitalianalien. I'm glad you were able to work out an option that was the least stressful for you. I hope the move goes well. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    Congratulations on the new flat @theitalianalien. I'm glad you were able to work out an option that was the least stressful for you. I hope the move goes well. :)
    Thanks Adrian and I would like to highlight the huge importance of this forum in helping working out the best option.
    Hello Poppy, how are you? I hope you are well. I have a problem. Actually the owner of the flat I was going to buy, she has changed her mind and she doesn't want to sell anymore, so could you please let me know what happens if I go on with the sale only (which means I have approx. £52000 sitting in my bank account) and I move into a new place after 2 months (well the time that the solicitor will take) .......which means I will have to go on short term renting for 9/10 weeks. Thanks in advance.
    I'm not too bad thank you. Hope you are well too.

I'm sorry to hear this. With that amount of savings in your bank then all your means tested benefits will end. You won't be able to claim for help with any rent either because this is also means tested.

Although if you're planning on buying another property then the money you have can be disregarded for 26 weeks and more if needed but this will be down to a decision maker to decide for certain.

Either way, you will need to report the chages once the money goes into your bank. Do be aware though, that if your ESA ends then you won't be able to reclaim it and it would be Universal Credit that you will need to claim.

I'm not too bad thank you. Hope you are well too.

I'm sorry to hear this. With that amount of savings in your bank then all your means tested benefits will end. You won't be able to claim for help with any rent either because this is also means tested.

Although if you're planning on buying another property then the money you have can be disregarded for 26 weeks and more if needed but this will be down to a decision maker to decide for certain.

Either way, you will need to report the chages once the money goes into your bank. Do be aware though, that if your ESA ends then you won't be able to reclaim it and it would be Universal Credit that you will need to claim.

I am ok, thanks for clear reply as usual. Well if I have time, that's great news (26 weeks) IF the solicitor allows me to put this amount in their dormant bank account is it classified as fraud?
    No problem. You can't just "hide" the money. It's always better to be upfront and honest, this way you will have no worries that you're doing everything right.
    No problem. You can't just "hide" the money. It's always better to be upfront and honest, this way you will have no worries that you're doing everything right.
    Well yes exactly, it is just to avoid complications and I am not disrespecting the law. Thank you very much and have a lovely weekend.  
Sign in or join us to comment.