Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My Granddad

KarmaMarKarmaMar Member - under moderation Posts: 70 Courageous

I am not a royalist, not here to be ruled over. I am not a patriot. I have seen and experienced first hand many corrupt institutions In this country and it has a LONG way to go before it matches what the perception the rulers falsely give abroad.

My Granddad's family had a haulage firm before, world war 2, I think, what is certain is that at the start of WW2 he was a driver in the army. If he believed in something strongly he never stated it to me, like most of his generation he kept silent, he was at Dunkirk.

Now if there was ever a moment to be proud of this country Dunkirk was it, he ended up with shrapnel in his back there. He did speak of El alamein and the wonder he had of the hundreds of British artillery opening up on the Axis lines. After then he was in support of the British commandos training in the Highlands, where he met my Grandmother.

The only photo I have seen of him in uniform was next to a M16 halftrack, he most certainly drove tanks, lorries etc all through the war, but the photo was somewhere close to or in Germany, either supply or a reconnaissance unit.

He was a bit of a poacher and used the telescopic aerial as a fishing rod, often promoted and demoted, lol.

He told me that towards the fall of Germany they fully expected to keep on fighting against the Russians. He lived until 1989 and taught me how to fish.

My gran before her death told me he was not so great as everyone believed, I understand that.

it is a weird world we are in now but I would be doing a disservice to those of that generation who fought for so many freedoms you take for granted now.

Replies

• Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,747 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds like you had some good times together @KarmaMar :) I'm sure he had a lot of stories!
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,089 Disability Gamechanger
    My grandad died when I was 14 in 1973 and I still miss him to this day, he suffered from ill health all his adult life and didn't fight in WW2, my gran worked in heavy industry all through the war and carried on until she retired in the 1970's.
    As for Dunkirk, we were very lucky it could have been an unmitigated disaster had Hitler pressed on and attacked as he might have done, as Churchill said you don't win wars by losing battles.
Sign in or join us to comment.