The general chat thread - Page 9 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The general chat thread

Options
12345679»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I took the bull by the horns earlier armed with my list I left the better half in bed and went shopping at 7a.m and wow am I glad I did it was already very busy, although it has to be said that the shelves were full, and some of the prices were lower than I've seen them for years, just one example 5lb of spuds for 39p. I do hope this price war on fresh veg helps some less fortunate families this Christmas.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,668 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes there does seem to be some cheap pricing going on with vegetables. I saw some potatoes for 29p down from 99p in Tesco and also some asparagus for 59p down from £2! 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Aldi are selling 6 veg for 14p each, good news for a lot of people

• dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Options
    The local Tesco has a bin at the front door filled with loose carrots, and a sign saying take one for Rudolph  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    That’s really cool haha 
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just measured my blood pressure as a family member just got a machine.

Mine is approximately 150/100 which is apparently quite high but not a crisis.

Might have to see my doctor about it in the new year.

I am always nervous and on edge which apparently can have something to do with it.

Might have to start eating and drinking less. :blush:
  • woodbine
    Options
    @66Mustang good idea to see your GP about its, as it can be easily controlled for most people with simple medication, depending on age and other factors the ideal BP would be 120/80, but that's in an ideal world.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @woodbine for the tip. I will see the GP about it. You may be right about medication but if I'm being honest with myself I do indulge in more food than I perhaps should and on average I drink more than 2 units a day, so maybe some lifestyle changes are needed as well.
  • woodbine
    Options
    @66Mustang lifestyle changes can help but aren't easy at the best of times, I was weighed last week at the hospital and was amazed that during lockdowns I have lost half a stone, despite doing far less walking than usual, I suppose I have cut down on some sweet stuff.
    Whilst I would never preach at anyone remember a high BP does carry risks.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang It's good that you've detected it early.  I've just checked on the NHS blood pressure chart and it does read a little high.  This official advice is to book an appointment with your GP or practice nurse in the next month or so, so don't forget to get it checked :)

@woodbine Well done on the weight loss, it's surprising what we can achieve by cutting out those sweet treats.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks for looking that up @Cher_Scope. I will be sure to see the GP in the new year! :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.