PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Help with PIP

SystemSystem Posts: 521

Scope community team

Replies

• redfox_65redfox_65 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi 
    I've re applied for pip yesterday, a full year after my last application was rejected, I only scored 6 points. 
    Suffering from debilitating arthritis in my hands, neck and hip was not enough to score more than 6 points. I scored no points for my toilet needs, no points for having to use adapted cutlery etc etc.
    I have appealed and because it's got worse and could take another 12 months to get a decision, I couldn't wait. 
    I am devastated to think that a retired nurse was able to make a decision on my health not knowing anything about me, but because I could speak and hold a conversation with her, my disability doesn't affect me. They are, as far as I'm concerned, corrupt. 
    This time I am going to answer every question as if it was my worst day.

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Thank you 

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    @redfox_65 Hi and welcome,

Please don't answer the questions based on your worst day because this is not a good idea and could potentially be seen as fraud. You need to answer those question honestly and tell them exactly how your conditions affect you.

When filling out the form you need to put as much relevant information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Then add a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Also add who was with you, where you were and exactly what happened.

Medical evidence is only useful if it states exactly how your conditions affect you and most medical evidence only states the basics like diagnosis and medication etc.

PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Starting another claim while waiting for a Tribunal isn't always the best idea, i'm assuming you got some advice before you did that?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • redfox_65redfox_65 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thanks for replying. 

Yes, I did. My condition has deteriorated and with new medical evidence they have advised I can go ahead with a new claim whilst still having an appeal going through (citizens advice and a benefit organisation run via a helpline) have confirmed this.

They advised it could be another year before my appeal is heard, and because it has got worse, this would not be taken into consideration anyway?

If I came across belligerent in anyway I apologise,  my experience with the face to face was not a good one. There are things in the assessment notes that never actually happened, which really meant that the lady in question lied about my examination. 

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Whilst it is correct that you can make a new claim whilst an appeal on a previous claim is pending I see no mention of your having been advised that any PIP award made as a result of your appeal will end the day before the date of claim for your second claim. It’s very disappointing that two organisations are still suggesting it might take a year for an appeal to be heard. There are multiple regions across the UK with no PIP backlog at all at present and so some appeals are being heard between week 11 and 13. 
Sign in or join us to comment.