Welcomes and introductions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi Everyone. My daughter has SPD, and we can't go out much any more due to Covid. Can anyone relate?

EllestarEllestar Member Posts: 19 Connected
edited December 2020 in Welcomes and introductions
Hi everyone,
My name is Ellen, I'm 59, I'm new to this forum, I've not been a member of scope for long, I'm a full time Carer for my severely disabled daughter, she has Semantic Pragmatic Disorder, which not a lot of people have heard of, basically she has severe communication disabilities, severe learning disabilities, she cannot look after herself, cannot go out alone and cannot travel alone.
I'm not sure what to say except that, before Covid, I used to try and take my daughter all over the place, we went to the theatre, the cinema, day trips/holidays, now we don't go out at all except for short walks for fresh and exercise, weather permitting, wearing our masks, my daughter is too frightened to go out without one.
I know we're not alone in this situation.
It would be nice to make some new friends on here.
Take care and stay safe.
Ellen
Tagged:

Replies

• chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,915 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ellestar - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community, Ellen. Certainly Covid-19 has impacted all our lives, but for many, such as your daughter, the impact has been even greater, & this must be very hard for you, her Mum, to see.
    I'm sure you'll find this a good place to be, with many parents in a similar situation to your own. It's great to read how many wonderful experiences you've given your daughter, &, given time, hopefully these will be able to be resumed once more.
    Please do look around the forum, & join in with any discussions of interest, & perhaps that much needed distraction for yourself.....have a look at our virtual 'Coffee lounge' for some more light-hearted chat. There's a link to this & other discussions at the top of this page. :)
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,334

Scope community team

Hello @Ellestar and welcome to our online community.  I hope you and your daughter are well today :)

The pandemic has had a real impact on us all, in so many different ways.  I'm sorry to hear it's reduced all your fun activities but that's totally understandable too.  Fingers crossed 2021 is a better one and you can get back to doing the things you both enjoy again.

I'll be honest, I'd not heard of Semantic Pragmatic Disorder before.  I did find one thread from another mum who's child had the diagnosis so you might want to see how they are getting along.  Also, our Parents and Carers discussion group could be a nice spot to meet other people facing similar and make friends.  

Are you getting any support as a carer?  It sounds like you are doing a smashing job but make sure to look after yourself too  <3 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,108 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome @Ellestar glad you have joined hope to see you around 
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,010

Scope community team

Hello and welcome to the community @Ellestar :) I look forward to seeing you around and chatting with you soon! 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 3,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome just going through the welcome list I will be back lol 
Sign in or join us to comment.