Finally have a diagnosis and struggling to work — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Finally have a diagnosis and struggling to work

System Posts: 633

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Welcome to our discussion group for invisible impairments.


  • jcey360
    jcey360 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi all. I have finally been diagnosed with fibro after nearly 35 years of suffering pain, no sleep, I.B.S etc. Soooo frustrating. But I`m not really sure where to go next. I am struggling to work now, (I`m 61), can I get benefits?. Just not sure what my next action should b.  
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,180

    Scope community team

    Hello @jcey360. I hope you don't mind but I've moved your post so hopefully it can get a little more attention. 
    I imagine there's some relief in finally having a diagnosis I'm just sorry it's taken so long for you to get there!
    Whether you'd be entitled to any benefits depends on your personal situation. Do you claim anything at all at the moment?

    Income-related benefits such as Universal Credit may be an option, or depending on your work history, New-Style Employment and Support Allowance. Depending on how much your condition impacts your daily living and mobility, PIP (Personal Independence Payment) might be an option for you.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • jcey360
    jcey360 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Adrian.
    No I have been working part time for some time now but am really struggerling. I am thinking of stopping work after Christmas.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Listener
    I was diagnosed with Asperger's in October 1999 at the age of 23, and apart from various voluntary positions I've never worked.

    Problem is, as soon as I declare my disability on any application, especially the Asperger's, my application gets insta-binned.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,776 Disability Gamechanger
    jcey360 said:
    Hi Adrian.
    No I have been working part time for some time now but am really struggerling. I am thinking of stopping work after Christmas.


    I wouldn't advise you to just stop work like this. Firstly you need to look at claiming SSP from your employer, with a fit note from your GP. Information here. This is payable for 28 weeks. You should also get some expert advice before stopping work.

    As Adrian has advised, whether you're entitled to any benefits to top this up will depend on your circumstances. Universal Credit is means tested so claiming this will depend on your circumstances such as savings/capital and other income. If you live with a partner then you claim as a couple. Savings/capital of more than £16,000 will exclude you from claiming. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.

    Do be aware that a claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming and you won't ever be able to go back onto them.

    New style ESA may also be possible once your SSP has ended but you'll need a fit note from your GP and the SSP1 form from your employer. If you've paid enough NI contributions from working in the previous 2 tax years then you'll be able to claim this. It pays £74.35 per week.

    PIP (personal Independence Payment) may also be possible but it's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. A successful claim can take several months, sometimes longer.

    Hope this helps.

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,876 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi an welcome 

    Sorry you are struggling I would just like to reaffirm what poppy has said do not just leave work this could affect your eligibility for benefits 

    As advised you should first see your gp and get signed off as unfit for work and then follow your companies medical dismissal process or dismissal on capability due to I'll health 

    It may be worth looking at their policy to give you an understanding of the process 

    Some companies also pay compensation for this so if you leave you would miss out on any payment due 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.