Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

The first record you ever brought?

woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,086 Disability Gamechanger
What was the first record you ever brought?

Mine was in 1971 a version of "Moon River" by Greyhound

Replies

• vikingqueenvikingqueen Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
          Mine was an album, Electric Warrior T Rex also in 1971, and my love of all things glam rock was born  :D
  • MrAllen1976MrAllen1976 Member Posts: 1,135 Pioneering
    You'll laugh when I tell you mine.. The first I bought with my own money was "leave it with me" by Ted Glen, a character in Postman Pat, well I was about 5 at the time.

Slightly less embarassing, I bought "Happy Talk" by Captain Sensible, used to love the video to that when I was 6.

• Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,376 Disability Gamechanger
    Mine was The Foo Fighters Greatest Hits  :D 

I never had a record player the first time around and only got one about 3 years ago!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    Mine was The Foo Fighters Greatest Hits  :D 

I never had a record player the first time around and only got one about 3 years ago!
    Vinyl made a bit of a comeback a few years back as well.

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,086 Disability Gamechanger
          Mine was an album, Electric Warrior T Rex also in 1971, and my love of all things glam rock was born  :D
    I saw T Rex live in Manchester in 1972
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 3,665 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m ashamed to say I’ve never bought a physical album for myself, only digital ones and I tend to just buy the one song I want rather than the whole album
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 22,059 Disability Gamechanger
    I remember it well and it was Culture Club Karma Chameleon in 1983. I was with my late nan at the time and she gave me pocket money to buy it.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 6,059 Disability Gamechanger
    I honestly cant remember I used to use my parent record player till I bought my own stereo tower system had double tape deck radio and record player 

I saved up for it out of first job so will have been in 1983 
         @woodbine I am very jealous, I never got to see them live nor my other love "Queen" Too late now for both  :(
         @woodbine I am very jealous, I never got to see them live nor my other love "Queen" Too late now for both  :(
    Yeah in about 3 and half weeks it'll be 30 years since Freddie Mercury died of AIDS.

Yeah in about 3 and half weeks it'll be 30 years since Freddie Mercury died of AIDS.

I'm not sure the sad cause of his death is relevant? It was a great shame to lose such a great talent.
    woodbine said:

I'm not sure the sad cause of his death is relevant? It was a great shame to lose such a great talent.
    Blimey and some people call ME picky! He was a great talent though yes.

I am well aware of the anniversary of the late great Freddie, it doesn't matter what caused his death I just know it was a very sad day, but he will live on for many years to come. My 7 year old granddaughter knows the words to We Will Rock You and I intend to teach her a lot more  :)  but she doesn't understand Marc Bolan  :D

I am well aware of the anniversary of the late great Freddie, it doesn't matter what caused his death I just know it was a very sad day, but he will live on for many years to come. My 7 year old granddaughter knows the words to We Will Rock You and I intend to teach her a lot more  :)  but she doesn't understand Marc Bolan  :D
    Yeah try www.xyzlyrics.co.uk for more Queen lyrics.

Also if she's got a console such as Xbox or Switch, there was a Queen Karaoke game that came out around last November that's got most of the good stuff.

Talking about records, have just seen the news that Gerry Marsden MBE has passed away very sad, with his group the Pacemakers they were the first group ever to have their first 3 singles go to #1 in 1963.
    He worked tirelessly for many years in his support of the Hillsborough families and their search for just for the 96.
    R.I.P Gerry "You'll never walk alone"
    See the topic I made about that about 2 hours ago mate.

• chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,218 Disability Gamechanger
    My first LP was this, a re-mastered version of music originally recorded in 1967, which came out in 1973:
    Perhaps some of you might enjoy this.....originally recorded before Sandy Denny joined Fairport Convention, & with the Strawbs, especially Dave Cousins vocals, sheer joy IMHO.

well said @woodbine, you haven't lived until you hear the Liverpool fans sing You'll never walk alone at their football matches, they'll just have to sing a little louder now  :(

it had dropped off my screen mate
    woodbine said:

it had dropped off my screen mate
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/75787/60s-pop-star-gerry-marsden-of-gerry-and-the-pacemakers-dies-at-78#latest

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Community Team Posts: 1,922 Pioneering
    Surprisingly can't actually remember what my first purchased record was :D Given I collect CDs it's a mystery that I've forgotten.

Me and the partner received a vinyl player for Christmas, so will probably start collecting those too. Only have 2 so far
    Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 1,164 Pioneering
    My first album on vinyl  was the late great prince purple rain  no one will sing purple rain like he did  RIP
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 1,164 Pioneering
    I have alot of vinyl records singles and doubles that were my nans the great elvis presley King of rock and roll snd Perry como Frank sinatra   the blue notes  I also have heavy rock on vinyl  including the late great  Freddie Mercury with Queen  with unrealised singles i have some gramophone records aswel 
  • MarkGibbons1MarkGibbons1 Member Posts: 11 Connected
    Mine was save all your kisses for me by the brotherhood of man in 75 I think was only 4 or 5 at the time!!
    Mine was save all your kisses for me by the brotherhood of man in 75 I think was only 4 or 5 at the time!!
    That was 76 actually, according to Wikipedia it won Eurovision for the UK that year, was UK number 1 the day I was born (April 7th 1976)

• MarkGibbons1MarkGibbons1 Member Posts: 11 Connected
    That was 76 actually, according to Wikipedia it won Eurovision for the UK that year, was UK number 1 the day I was born (April 7th 1976)

Thank you Mr Allan I knew I was probably 5 and would have still been 5 has wasn't 6 to the October I just couldn't remember the year. Thanks for finding that out for me.
Sign in or join us to comment.