News and opportunities
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Still not had 2021 shielding letter

angnryanangnryan Member Posts: 47 Connected
edited January 13 in News and opportunities
I hope I've put this in the correct section. As of today I have still not received my shielding letter for this latest lockdown, January 2021, I'm really worried they have taken me off the shielding list as the last i heard was a text on 30the Dec which just said all clinically extremely vulnerable people in tier 4 should shield,  this was before the pm announced the latest lockdown,  I have copd and I'm carer to my autistic son,  can anyone help please 
Tagged:

Replies

• Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,348

Scope community team

Hi @angnryan

Oh dear, that's frustrating.  I've had a look on social media and many others who shielded last time and fall in the 'clinically extremely vulnerable' group have also not received their letter yet.  To avoid you getting more anxious about this, maybe give your GP a call for their advice? 

Also, how are you managing otherwise?  Do you need any further support around caring or your COPD?  I hope you are keeping well and safe  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Shielding for this lockdown (England) wasn't offically announced until 4th January and it can take a few weeks to receive the letter.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • angnryanangnryan Member Posts: 47 Connected
    Hi and thanks for your reply, I rang my GPS and the reception lady just snapped at me and said we don't send out the letters and put the phone down before I could ask my question,  I'm coping with my copd and caring,  just about,  but my mental health is terrible, I also have obsessional compulsive disorder and it's gone really bad, hearing others haven't had their letter yet gives me some relief though. so thank you very much for taking the time to reply 

Scope community team

@angnryan I'm sorry the doctors receptionist wasn't more understanding  :(

Do you get help with your OCD?  I wouldn't want you struggling in isolation, so please let me know if you need any signposting to people who can help.  

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear your health is affected so badly by all of this. Many people have been greatly affected in the past year and the current situation isn't helping anyone.

Unless you're working then the shielding letter really isn't needed. Just follow the advice given by the Government and stay home where possible.

For your mental health you could also refer yourself for a needs assessment by contacting your local council.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you had other mail from royal mail? (not parcels etc)

Some places have gone weeks without mail due to staff shortages.  You know you're in the shielding group though, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting the letter.  :)
    Hi, thanks for reply,  it came at 1.15 today so one thing less to worry about 
  • scotleagscotleag Member Posts: 88 Courageous
    I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. Last letter I got was dated Nov 4th and it arrived about two weeks later. I got a text from the council two days ago saying latest lockdown letter us being sent out  and "will be with you shortly" If the past is anything to go by then that could be anytime this month
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I haven’t had my letter yet during the first lockdown I didn’t get one till 12 weeks after it started 

you don’t really need the letter for anything unless you need it for work so if you know you should be shielding just follow the guidelines from before 
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 779 Pioneering
    There is no need to worry about receiving the letter, as far as I can see if you have an email address you get the email quickly and the letter follows a few weeks later. Those shielding people haven't changed at all. Just follow the guidance from the last time. Most GP surgeries are being bombarded from people calling to find out when their vaccination will be so are under tremendous pressure themselves, that may be why they are not particularly friendly when answering the phone. 

Scope community team

angnryan said:
    Hi, thanks for reply,  it came at 1.15 today so one thing less to worry about 
    @angnryan That's good news.  I hope you feel more relaxed now  :)

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,749 Disability Gamechanger
    My advice also would be if you were shielding in the first lockdown then do so now, letter or no letter.

STAY HOME, PROTECT THE NHS, SAVE LIVES.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
    I have carried on shielding anyway,  haven't been out since 14th March 2020 not even in my garden, too scared 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,161

Scope community team

Hi @angnryan

I'm glad to hear you are taking your shielding so seriously and are looking after yourself. Despite this, are you still managing to get hold of all the essentials like food and cleaning products?
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,749 Disability Gamechanger
    That is one of the big differences between lockdown1 and lockdown3 first time round the weather was great, now its cold and wet, but at least we have the spring to look forward to my daffs are already coming up.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
    edited January 13
    Ross_Scope yes I'm managing to get food and cleaning supplies, I have a recurring slot at supermarket until March this year, and use online for cleaning products as they are often unavailable at supermarket 
    Letter arrived this morning. Main take is specific reference to vaccine prioritisation. Also says shielding in place till Feb 21st but I'd be surprised if it ends then as even if cases are falling they'll still be very high, plus two-three weeks for vaccination to kick in means you can deduct roughly 1M from what the headline figures are then.

There's also a reference to free Vitamin D. I've been taking daily for months. I registered for the free scheme when it was first announced but have yet to receive anything 

You can register here
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/get-vitamin-d-supplements/  
    Typo in last post - should read deduct 2-3M from headline vaccinated figure come Feb 21st in order to show numbers not just vaccinated but protected
  • berry123berry123 Member Posts: 256 Courageous
    I received letter last week but i domt think it helps with pip application etc new or renewal 
Sign in or join us to comment.