Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Vaccination covid 19

StockwoodStockwood Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 15 in Disabled people
Hi has anyone started conversation on the criteria  for the vaccine.  I'm a little confused as it says a clinically  moderate group.  Do I need to ring g.p. surgery to have a assessment for this as no one has contacted  me and I want know if I'm.on the list.  I rang in they said I'm.not yet. Anyone had any problems or did they get assessed ok fairly by there gp Dr's surgery.  They seem be very strict on criteria up here. They don't give me answers I may have to escalate it as I feel ignored by them. 

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

There was a post earlier with a link to the different priority groups and eligibility you should find it in recent discussions it was titled something like vaccine for carers 

I don't think it is down to an assessment more criteria based on your medical records 

@Cher_Scope was it you who posted the link 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,349

Scope community team

edited January 15
    Hi @Stockwood

I think you'll find it useful reading the Government's Greenbook and in-particular page 9.  This lists the various conditions that deem someone in a clinical risk group and 6th in priority for receiving the vaccine.  You don't need to ring the GP, they will be contacting everyone in order of priority.

I hope that helps.  Thanks for the tag @janer1967 :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,749 Disability Gamechanger
    The advice from GP's is don't contact them they will contact you, have had 2 text already from our GP along these lines, so we are just sitting back and waiting to be called, although senior management is a bit miffed that I might be done a little bit before her !
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • lily_242lily_242 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited January 20
    It really worries me the amount of people I have heard who won't get the vaccine (and would be able to). As someone for who Covid would probably not be simple (my body isn't the best at fighting things haha) I find it really difficult to hear that people are ok with risking others lives. And as someone whose loved ones work in Covid wards and I fear for them every day, it feels very dismissive of the sacrifice many of their friends and colleagues have made. 
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 779 Pioneering
    @lily_242 I couldn't agree more. I normally work within a research floor in a hospital but have been working from home since last March due to being clinically vulnerable. I still have access to the information regarding the issues the hospitals are facing and it's worrying. Don't get me started on the anti-vaxxers......

• lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 3,843 Disability Gamechanger
    Some people can't have the vaccination  due to the risk being higher due to health issues but I do think also people are scared because there were lots of different things being said 

The worst one the reports comeing in from Norway so it is understandable  in a way 

Scope community team

Just to clarify which groups cannot have the vaccine, this accessible guide states:
    Who cannot have the vaccine? The vaccines do not contain living organisms, and so are safe for people with disorders of the immune system. These people may not respond so well to the vaccine. A very small number of people who are at risk of COVID-19 cannot have the vaccine – this includes people who have severe allergies. Women of childbearing age, those who are pregnant or breastfeeding should read the detailed information on www.nhs.uk/covidvaccination. 

While for anyone with concerns about the safety of the vaccine, the NHS advise the following:

How safe is the COVID-19 vaccine?

The vaccines approved for use in the UK have met strict standards of safety, quality and effectiveness set out by the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
    Any coronavirus vaccine that is approved must go through all the clinical trials and safety checks all other licensed medicines go through. The MHRA follows international standards of safety.
    Other vaccines are being developed. They will only be available on the NHS once they have been thoroughly tested to make sure they are safe and effective.
    So far, thousands of people have been given a COVID-19 vaccine and reports of serious side effects, such as allergic reactions, have been very rare. No long-term complications have been reported.
    To find out more about the vaccines approved in the UK, see:

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    Some people can't have the vaccination  due to the risk being higher due to health issues but I do think also people are scared because there were lots of different things being said 

The worst one the reports comeing in from Norway so it is understandable  in a way 
    I think its beholden of us all not to spread scare stories the problem in Norway wasn't anything to worry about, as far as I can see the number of people who "can't have the vaccine" is extremely small so the thing is

GET VACCINATED / SAVED LIVES / SAVE THE NHS
    @woodbine I agree if they can have the vaccination they should  have it  i was explaining why some people don't want it as @Ibelive2020 said it scares her reading everything about it  which is like slot of people 

Scope community team

edited January 20
    To avoid unnecessarily scaring people, this British Medical Journal article states about the cases in Norway:
    “There is no certain connection between these deaths and the vaccine.”
    Just a friendly reminder @lisathomas50 - please ensure you:
    • Always check that information you get is correct and appropriate.
    • Do not present opinions as facts.
    • Share only trusted resources.
    Many thanks :)

• lily_242lily_242 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I am not scared reading about the vaccine. I trust our healthcare workers and the vigorous testing process the vaccine has undergone. I believe that everyone who can have the vaccine should: it protects them, the people they love and the general public. What worries me is when people do not take it. The vaccine is not what worries me - I will be first in line when its my turn. It is my loved ones who are frontline that I worry about and how others may put them at risk by not taking this vaccine.  :)
  • chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,968 Disability Gamechanger
    Just thought it worth mentioning, that getting side-tracked into looking at further info in the BMJ, I found this (published 18 Jan 2021) concerning people with 'severe allergies.'
    ''The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) stated that “any person with a history of anaphylaxis to a vaccine, medicine, or food should not receive the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.”

However, MHRA revised its position on 30 December after careful consideration based on enhanced surveillance of over one million doses of the vaccine in the UK and North America—including in jurisdictions where people with serious allergies were never barred from receiving the vaccine. It found no evidence of an increased risk of anaphylaxis to the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine among people with serious but unrelated allergy histories and advised that only people who had an allergic reaction to the first dose of this vaccine, or who previously had reactions to any of its components, should not receive it.''

Please see the following link for more detail: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n120

Then hopefuly i can have the vacine then nothing has been said by my doctor to me since they told me I couldn't have it  so I will ask tomorrow 
  • CressCress Member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    That's reassuring to know @chiarieds
    And thank you for the link, it's so important to have factual information as opposed to random opinion which can be so worrying to members. :)
    I didnt even make an opinion its was an off the cuff comment that has been there all day no one said anything but thats fine 
    You win i will ask for my account to be de activated 
  • CressCress Member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    I see no winners in this situation,  scope has lost it's best benefit advisor.
  • chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,968 Disability Gamechanger
    It is because people are scared about the vaccine that we should give them scientific reassurance. Many of the Muslim faith are reported to not want the vaccine because stories were circulating that it wasn't halal. See the following link: https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/15/false-claims-covid-vaccine-contains-animal-products-could-stop-muslims-getting-jab-13754049/
    People like @Ibelive2020 & many others are scared because of much misinformation circulating, & I'll not repeat any other things here. I tried to reassure you too @lisathomas50 with info last updated 31st December from the Covid 19 Green book chapter 14a, pps 9-10 that those with lupus should receive the vaccine, & being completely honest with you too, said that unfortunately those that were immunosupressed didn't seem to make as many antibodies. As our scientist's knowledge keeps rapidly changing, our Drs understanding will change too. Just in case, it might be an idea to have a look at this link before you see them, especially the pages I've mentioned: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948757/Greenbook_chapter_14a_v4.pdf   I hope you can get the vaccine, & just because comments are not always answered straight away, it doesn't mean that people are ignoring you, just they'll get back when they can.
    @Cher_Scope also gave you guidance, & thank you for the links, Cher. To beat this pandemic, we need people to seriously think about getting vaccinated to protect the few who can't have it, so about Covid-19, above all, we need to make sure what we say is factual.
  • Ibelive2020Ibelive2020 Member Posts: 803 Pioneering
    im nőt scared of vaccine i have nőt said i am what i did say was this whole covid i am scared of as i have children with severe complex needs im just scared incase any of my children catch the vírus tó be honest im nőt sleeping properly this whole pandemic scares me 
    And @lisathomas50 has nőt scared me about covid either őr the vaccine im used too lil pr**ks anyway 🤣🤣🤣
    edited January 21
    @Ibelive2020 hi to be fair this has made me feel worthless  like I shouldn't be here  i made an off the cuff comment about why people may not o want to have the vaccination  or cant for what ever reason 

Whatever I had of said its nothing to do with thst though is it as its been clearly pointed out its because poppy has left  and now this is what is going to happen every time I comment or say something 

They don't care that they have driven people away that they make people feel bad and make them feel worthless every thing I have said basically they have had a go at me for I thought this was duposed to be a friendly site where peoe could chat 

Yesterday it was nice people chatting to me haveing a laugh talking to someone who has a similar condition [removed by moderator - personal attack].
    @lisathomas50 dönt feel worthless just because someone has said something tó me your amazing my best friend some people just dönt think before they speak i would never lét anybody make me feel worthless and i defo would nőt be leaving this group for nobody so come on woman pick yourself up dúst yourself down count tó 10 xxxx
    @Ibelive2020 how can you do thst when every word you say iis analysed  criticised  on here I have only said what has hapoend to me  I have told any one else its how it happens  maybe the prople who do this should run the forum then 

I wasn't abusive I was standing up for myself like they do they think they are the experts but it has now become obvious the real reason so it doesn't realy matter people won't speak to me any way and if I they do it will only to be critical or make me look small 

Ignore them nobody is better than anybody we áll in sámé boát xxx
    @chiarieds I havent told any one not to have the vacine my comment was just a reply to someone who said about anti vaccers on off the cuff reply to some reasons why prople aren't havring in it as its been on programmes on the news in newspapers why no opinion no facts just an innocent comment that then turned into world War three  and a personal attack 

But further up the thread it comes to light whatever I say its all about poppy leaving 
    @chiarieds I have spoken to my dr this morning and she has told me thst the advice for myself is not to have it doesn't mean no one else has to have it people should have it if they can 
    @lisathomas50 "off the cuff" remarks on important (as in life and death) subjects are not helpful. Sorry to see you are going.. bye
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,926

Scope community team

I think this thread has served its purpose and has sadly gone off track.

We have other discussions regarding the Covid-19 vaccinations across the site so if anyone wants to continue a discussion on that topic, it would be best to use one of those.

Discussions such as these will always be controversial and have a range of opinions, some of which we will not agree with but it's important to remain civil and objective, while keeping our own replies factual. Giving an opinion on a topic, for example saying "I think lots of people aren't having the vaccine because they're scared" is fine, but be sure any opinions aren't given as facts. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
This discussion has been closed.