PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Paying back overpayment if PIP is extended?

SystemSystem Posts: 543

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: PIP extended.

Replies

• lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,318 Disability Gamechanger
    If your extended and your paid over your end date for pip if you lose your award do you have to pay back any over payment of your award end date 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    If your extended and your paid over your end date for pip if you lose your award do you have to pay back any over payment of your award end date 

No...
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 my neighbor has phoned me distressed as she has had a letter from pip stating that because she was extended and her award has now being looked at and refused thst she has to pay back the money  that she was overpaid 

Can she refuse or get any help with this 
    @poppy123456 my neighbor has phoned me distressed as she has had a letter from pip stating that because she was extended and her award has now being looked at and refused thst she has to pay back the money  that she was overpaid 

Sometimes there maybe a very small amount to pay back, it totally depends on exactly when the decision was made and when their last payment was received but the whole amount will not need to be repaid back.

If money is owed they can't refuse to pay it back. For help she needs to contact an advice agency near them. If this person is requesting the MR and Tribunal and a decision goes in their favour they will receive backdated money to date their PIP ended.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 Ok that helps my neighbor out 

So could this happen to other people that have been extended and dont get their award as you said when I asked the question foes this happen you said no 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,393 Disability Gamechanger
    In most cases there shouldn't be an over payment and as poppy says if there should be one it won't be for much but has to be re-paid.
    There is a suppose a wider issue on all these extensions and will they ever catch up, don't forget that there are also new claims coming on to the system all the time and also children when they are 16 are ask to apply for pip as they can no longer claim dla
    So to the question how will they catch up? the answer is they will one day.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
    @woodbine I only wanted clarification as when I asked the question poppy did say no 
    @poppy123456 can my neighbor get help to pay it back she has been overpaid by four months its quite alot 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,393 Disability Gamechanger
    It would be unusual for 4 months to be overpaid, what were the dates involved and how much? Not quite sure what you mean by "get help", what other benefits does she get?
    Why is there a 4 month overpayment? When an award has been extended because of Covid, a person should not be made to pay that amount back. Sometimes as i advised, there is a small overpayment depending on exactly when the decision is made and when their last payment was.

@poppy123456 it was a six month extension but the overpayment  starts from  when the award was stopped she had a four month over payment thst they say she wasn't entitled to 
    Doesn't sound right to me. I suspect there's more to this than you're suggesting. You should not be made to pay back a whole 4 months of an extended award. This person needs expert advice, which is impossible to give here on the community because no one knows the exact details. They should use this link to see what's local to them for advice. https://advicelocal.uk/ sorry i can't help any further.

And there we have it in a few words "because no one knows the exact details" you got that one right poppy.

<<<<<<leaves by side door.
    @poppy123456 we are still on the phone to someone now  whst they have said is the people they think will keep their award are being extended  she is appealing against the decision so we are waiting to find out if they can put it on hold the repayment until  the result of the appeal 
    "They" have no idea who will and who won't keep their award as a renewal when it comes is just like a new application.
    The extensions mean little anyway as you could still be re-assessed before or during the extension, but i'd repeat my unanswered question, what are the dates involved and how much £
    @poppy123456 ok thank you we have have the advice now and they have put itvon hold until the appeal 

Pip have also confirmed that if pip has been extended  and the award is taken away that if they have been paid over the end date that any money they aren't entitled to will have to be repaid 

So hopefuly there won't be many thst do lose there award 

Pip have also confirmed that if pip has been extended  and the award is taken away that if they have been paid over the end date that any money they aren't entitled to will have to be repaid 

I'm sorry but i'm finding that extremely hard to believe..

I'm sorry but i'm finding that extremely hard to believe..
    yup count me in on that one as well  :(
    Thats your perogative  but when people start posting saying it is happening to them 
    @woodbine she owes 4months low rate care 
    Thats your perogative  but when people start posting saying it is happening to them 
    perhaps you could link some examples to that, without examples most things are just opinion are they not? its an interesting point that you yes you hijacked this thread and turned into something about your yes your neighbour..see where i'm going with this?
    There's no such thing as low rate care for PIP...
  • BrettWBrettW Member Posts: 607 Pioneering
    Is that both parts @lisathomas50 or does she only receive the 1 part?
    no she doesn't THERE IS NO SUCH THING !
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,997

Scope community team

We've split your query from the previous thread @lisathomas50 as although it was on the same subject, it's a slightly different matter and we wouldn't want to cause confusion. I also want to add, that a new thread has been created so we can try and help answer a question that has been asked. It isn't our place to question the validity behind a query. We're here to help people, not tell them they're wrong for asking. 

I feel it may be more productive to try and find where any confusion has come in and offer help where it may be needed. 

Could she be confused about how the overpayment has arisen?

Does she know when the decision was made to refuse her PIP? Has an overpayment occurred because she wasn't notified and they continued paying mistakenly?
    It's my understanding that the extended award wouldn't have any bearing on an overpayment and she shouldn't be having to pay back money from the extended award. If your neighbour has a letter saying something different, I know many people here at Scope who would be very interested to see it.

When Poppy mentioned that overpayments can happen, it's usually in the case of when a payment is received close to when a decision is made, but it's not usually for much and it would be very uncommon for it to be for four month's worth. 
    There's no such thing as low rate care for PIP... 
    woodbine said:
    no she doesn't THERE IS NO SUCH THING !
    Lots of people say 'low rate care' when talking about PIP, usually meaning the lower of the two rates. Obviously it isn't the correct terminology but it's quite widespread, in the same way people often say 'high rate care PIP' when they mean 'enhanced'. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    Lots of people say 'low rate care' when talking about PIP, usually meaning the lower of the two rates. Obviously it isn't the correct terminology but it's quite widespread, in the same way people often say 'high rate care PIP' when they mean 'enhanced'. :)

They do yes but you wouldn't expect that terminology to come from someone that represents people at PIP Tribunals.
    @Adrian_Scope the  letter stated that she owed 4months pip  which had been extended for 6minths  her award was stopped and she owes  from the date the award was stopped  becsuse of the extension which didn't help they decided she wasn't eligible  fir help when her review went in which was four months before 

Pip have said that if they decide thst they dudbt need thst help anymore from the time the review was supose to happen  then that money  then has to be paid back  this is now on hold  as she us appealing the decision 

I have also put in a complaint  bearing in mind this is in wales and not in England  it is sll in hand now 

Just don't appreciate the comments that were made towards me I have emailed  community though 
    edited January 19
    Do you have proof that this happened? Regardless of where in the country it is, Wales have the same rules for PIP that England do.
    @poppy123456 habit  easier to understand  and I only go through pspper hearings now to help with the baglog in wales havent done a tribunal for three years  we have been asked to help as this can be done at home  
    @BrettW she gets both parts I think we got it sorted now but I have put a complaint into pip its on hold now  as she is appealing  I have had a look at the refusal I think she will win the appeal I have someone who can help her so fingers crossed 

I help alot of people in my lane  answer questions and things but becsuse I am not well  I thought I would ask on here 
    Hope she wins her appeal and has this worry and debt lifted from her shoulders
    @brettw thank you I hope so to i think hopefuly its sorted I am confident any way 

I think its becsuse there is si much backlog  even whilst I have been ill I have been plodding through some pspper appeals 

I have to go through them check them follow the guidance on points  finish it off then has to go to someone else to be checked then to the decision maker its not an easy process with the pandemic 

We were asked to help out as there is such a back log  in wsles alot of prople do papper appeals  as they find it easier and can get more help 

Its been three years since I did a tribunal lol  but I dibt mind helping something to do lol 

Hope your ok you are awaiting g decision hope it goes well 
    thank you @lisathomas50 nothing I can do but wait for their decision now. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,536 Disability Gamechanger
    To clarify. Most PIP overpaid because of an extension will not be recoverable. This will especially be true if the extension was initiated by DWP and not by request of the claimant. However, in a small number of cases there may well be a recoverable overpayment if it turns out the disabling condition had improved on or before the date of the extension and no declaration of a change of circs. 

In other words, if you’re extended and know full well that there has been an improvement in your functional ability you’ve not declared then, when that comes to light, a recoverable overpayment decision will likely follow. 
    @mikehughescq I have spoken to pip today I dont know ow wether it may be a mistake but at the moment it is on hold her condition remains the same I have read the letter

She is appealing  so the payment they are  requesting she doesnt need to pay back  on the phone they said it was re payable any advice would be welcome  please so that I can help my neighbor 

To be fair her condition remains the same  she hasnt got better and still has the same problems  hopfuly she will  get her reward back 
    I have to ask this @lisathomas50 in what capacity do you "go through" paper appeals? and for whom. I'm really confused now.
    PS any chance you'll be able to step into the breech on benefits advice now that poppy has been driven away?
    Just a thought.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,950

Scope community team

@woodbine I appreciate that @poppy123456 's decision to leave is a significant loss however our members come to us for support and not judgement. If you feel aggrieved by specific posts and unable to respond in a friendly manner, I'd advise you to move onto a conversation where a constructive dialogue can be had. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    @Cher_Scope i thought given the circumstances i was being as reasonable as I could be, personally I feel really sad for the hundreds of people that are now going to come here for benefits help and not get the depth of knowledge that poppy was able to offer, it is always my endeavour to be as constructive as i possibly can be, my post offered 1) a statement and 2) a reasonable question.
    If we are not careful here we will end up as nothing but a chat forum, I have seen the same thing happen to other forums over the years.
    BUT I have had my say now and I rest my case.
    x
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 827 Pioneering
    @woodbine what's happened to @poppy123456? Please don't say she's left the forum?  :(
    @Cressida the sad news is that she has, she posted around tea time that she was doing, she did say if anyone wanted to keep in touch that they could pm her and she would give her email address.
    She will be badly missed not just by individuals but I suspect by the forum overall for her first class benefits knowledge and her patience, but enough to say we all have our limits.
    John
    x
    @woodbine thank you I've seen the post now. I feel so sad for her and those people who could have benefitted from her expertise. It's such a shame that things have come to this.  :'(
    @Cressida I  couldn't agree more, poppy has become a really good friend over the years, we were both on MSE together before here in fact it was poppy who suggested i join scope. I'm hoping that at some point she will come back (i'll keep nagging her, might even set senior management to the job !)
    But what is is as they say, its a fact that a forum like this desperately needs somebody with poppys huge knowledge of what is a huge subject and for many a frightening one.
  • kes2611kes2611 Member Posts: 118 Connected
    I have only been here couple of days n poppy was v helpful.It a shame she has left cause she had alot of knowlodge.People shd remember that this a forum n i doubt poppy n others get payed for all the advice n knowlodge they pass on.Be kind people. X
    People need to stop all the the doomsaying now and move on. Yes Poppy was knowledgable on benefits advice but there are plenty of people on here who will still be able to give accurate advice. The Scope staff themselves have a vast experience in all things related to disability and @mikehughescq has as much if not more experience in these areas than Poppy does so the forum will not be as devoid of accurate advice as some people would have you believe.

It is far healthier for any forum to have a diverse viewpoint from mutiple people rather than becoming reliant on a single source anyway as this leads to its own problems in the long run and regardless of what some may claim and despite the departure of Poppy these forums will remain a goldmine of valuable information.

Poppy herself has stated on here that all her knowledge was gained from doing internet research and educating herself and anyone can follow in her example and do the same to help people on here if they so wish.

@BrettW morning how are you the weather here is awful my steps and the lane where I live look like a waterfal 
    edited January 20
    Hi @lisathomas50 I'm fine thank you. The weather is awful here at the moment we have really heavy rainfall. I've heard there are a few flood warnings here in the surrounding areas but I don't think there's anything listed for here at the moment so all should be well. As long as the River Don doesn't burst it banks again like it did last year we should be fine :smile: Stay indoors while its like this and keep yourself warm and safe
    @BrettW I think I need a boat lol 😆 my house gas about 10 steps going  down to the road so I am to high to get flooded at the front where most of the water runs down the lane 

Be glad when it stops 
    BrettW said:
    People need to stop all the the doomsaying now and move on. Yes Poppy was knowledgable on benefits advice but there are plenty of people on here who will still be able to give accurate advice. The Scope staff themselves have a vast experience in all things related to disability and @mikehughescq has as much if not more experience in these areas than Poppy does so the forum will not be as devoid of accurate advice as some people would have you believe.

It is far healthier for any forum to have a diverse viewpoint from mutiple people rather than becoming reliant on a single source anyway as this leads to its own problems in the long run and regardless of what some may claim and despite the departure of Poppy these forums will remain a goldmine of valuable information.

Poppy herself has stated on here that all her knowledge was gained from doing internet research and educating herself and anyone can follow in her example and do the same to help people on here if they so wish.

@BrettW I think you need to re-read this post and check for rudeness. If you had been on the forum longer than a few months you might have a better understanding of the different skill sets that the disabilitygamechangers have. 
    There is no rudeness in my post @Cressida and none intended...
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,536 Disability Gamechanger
    BrettW said:

It is far healthier for any forum to have a diverse viewpoint from mutiple people rather than becoming reliant on a single source anyway as this leads to its own problems in the long run and regardless of what some may claim and despite the departure of Poppy these forums will remain a goldmine of valuable information..
    My experience in the past 4 years has been that actually there very much aren’t enough people on here who can give accurate advice. Scope staff absolutely don’t have the depth of experience required and I have had to point out incomplete and misleading advice several times in the past year alone. 

I’d appreciate it if no expectation was put on myself to fill the void created by the departure of @poppy123456. That certainly won’t be happening. 
  • worried33worried33 Member Posts: 399 Pioneering
    woodbine said:
    @Cressida the sad news is that she has, she posted around tea time that she was doing, she did say if anyone wanted to keep in touch that they could pm her and she would give her email address.
    She will be badly missed not just by individuals but I suspect by the forum overall for her first class benefits knowledge and her patience, but enough to say we all have our limits.
    John
    x

I dont think I have the ability to DM her, but please let her know I am sad she has left and I appreciate all what she has done on here.  If anything that should at least make her feel better knowing some people appreciate the help she has given to people.
Sign in or join us to comment.