Paying back overpayment if PIP is extended? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Paying back overpayment if PIP is extended?

System
System Posts: 758 Scope online community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: PIP extended.

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Member Posts: 5,788 Disability Gamechanger
    If your extended and your paid over your end date for pip if you lose your award do you have to pay back any over payment of your award end date 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,260 Disability Gamechanger
    If your extended and your paid over your end date for pip if you lose your award do you have to pay back any over payment of your award end date 

No...
  • Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 my neighbor has phoned me distressed as she has had a letter from pip stating that because she was extended and her award has now being looked at and refused thst she has to pay back the money  that she was overpaid 

Can she refuse or get any help with this 
  • poppy123456
    @poppy123456 my neighbor has phoned me distressed as she has had a letter from pip stating that because she was extended and her award has now being looked at and refused thst she has to pay back the money  that she was overpaid 

Can she refuse or get any help with this 

Sometimes there maybe a very small amount to pay back, it totally depends on exactly when the decision was made and when their last payment was received but the whole amount will not need to be repaid back.

If money is owed they can't refuse to pay it back. For help she needs to contact an advice agency near them. If this person is requesting the MR and Tribunal and a decision goes in their favour they will receive backdated money to date their PIP ended.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 Ok that helps my neighbor out 

So could this happen to other people that have been extended and dont get their award as you said when I asked the question foes this happen you said no 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,746 Disability Gamechanger
    In most cases there shouldn't be an over payment and as poppy says if there should be one it won't be for much but has to be re-paid.
    There is a suppose a wider issue on all these extensions and will they ever catch up, don't forget that there are also new claims coming on to the system all the time and also children when they are 16 are ask to apply for pip as they can no longer claim dla
    So to the question how will they catch up? the answer is they will one day.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine I only wanted clarification as when I asked the question poppy did say no 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 can my neighbor get help to pay it back she has been overpaid by four months its quite alot 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,746 Disability Gamechanger
    It would be unusual for 4 months to be overpaid, what were the dates involved and how much? Not quite sure what you mean by "get help", what other benefits does she get?
  • poppy123456
    Why is there a 4 month overpayment? When an award has been extended because of Covid, a person should not be made to pay that amount back. Sometimes as i advised, there is a small overpayment depending on exactly when the decision is made and when their last payment was.

• Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 it was a six month extension but the overpayment  starts from  when the award was stopped she had a four month over payment thst they say she wasn't entitled to 
  • poppy123456
    Doesn't sound right to me. I suspect there's more to this than you're suggesting. You should not be made to pay back a whole 4 months of an extended award. This person needs expert advice, which is impossible to give here on the community because no one knows the exact details. They should use this link to see what's local to them for advice. https://advicelocal.uk/ sorry i can't help any further.

• woodbine
    And there we have it in a few words "because no one knows the exact details" you got that one right poppy.

<<<<<<leaves by side door.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 we are still on the phone to someone now  whst they have said is the people they think will keep their award are being extended  she is appealing against the decision so we are waiting to find out if they can put it on hold the repayment until  the result of the appeal 
  • woodbine
    "They" have no idea who will and who won't keep their award as a renewal when it comes is just like a new application.
    The extensions mean little anyway as you could still be re-assessed before or during the extension, but i'd repeat my unanswered question, what are the dates involved and how much £
  • Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 ok thank you we have have the advice now and they have put itvon hold until the appeal 

Pip have also confirmed that if pip has been extended  and the award is taken away that if they have been paid over the end date that any money they aren't entitled to will have to be repaid 

So hopefuly there won't be many thst do lose there award 
  • poppy123456

Pip have also confirmed that if pip has been extended  and the award is taken away that if they have been paid over the end date that any money they aren't entitled to will have to be repaid 

I'm sorry but i'm finding that extremely hard to believe..
  • woodbine

I'm sorry but i'm finding that extremely hard to believe..
    yup count me in on that one as well  :(
  • Lisatho11987777
    Thats your perogative  but when people start posting saying it is happening to them 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine she owes 4months low rate care 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.