Letting people know about mixed age couples and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Letting people know about mixed age couples and benefits

System
System Posts: 626

Scope community team

Comments

• auntiep69
    auntiep69 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    I am 51 my husband is 66 he got his state pension last year. He was on esa. I get carers. With those payments plus a small private pension once a month less than £100, we are not entitled to universal credit or housing costs. My husband is still getting pip so we get no help with anything so all our money goes on rent fuel costs everyday living and food. No extras for any fun lol xx
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,739 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @auntiep69

Thanks for sharing with us 

Do you have any questions or just letting us know your situation? 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • auntiep69
    Just letting people know about mixed age couples and benefits. Husband was on esa now on state pension but as we get £5 over universal credits payments they don’t help or give us any payments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,739 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this with us sure it will be if interest to those others in similar situation 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • auntiep69
    Also if you get pip that will get taken away if you apply for attendance allowance. They don’t give both
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,993 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @auntiep69 - & welcome to the community. I hope you are both keeping well. Just to add that you can't get Attendance Allowance if you get PIP or Disability Living Allowance. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/eligibility
  • auntiep69
    I know I said you can’t get both x thanks for the welcome x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,575

Scope community team

Welcome to the community @auntiep69 :) I split your comments on the thread you commented on into a new discussion so that other members would be able to find it more easily. I hope that's alright! 

Thank you for sharing your experience with our members. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • auntiep69
    That’s fine. It’s very confusing. Taken us nearly a year and still not rectified. Opening a new claim as husband was in support group for esa so should of been awarded limited capability for work a work related group. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,329 Disability Gamechanger
    auntiep69 said:
    I am 51 my husband is 66 he got his state pension last year. He was on esa. I get carers. With those payments plus a small private pension once a month less than £100, we are not entitled to universal credit or housing costs. My husband is still getting pip so we get no help with anything so all our money goes on rent fuel costs everyday living and food. No extras for any fun lol xx
    Whether there is entitlement or not depends on the numbers. Have you applied and had your claim turned down?
    If you husband would be found to have Limited capability for Work and Work Related activity your UC claim would be made up of:
    couple element £409.89, LCWRA element £341.92, carer element £162.92 = £914.73 plus your help with rent. 
    If your husband has new State Pension £759.20 (£175.20/week), occupational pension £100 and you have Carer's Allowance £291.42 (£67.25/week) the your income is £1150.62. On these figures unless your rent is less than £250/month there would be some UC payable. The LCWRA element would not be included for the first three months but from the fourth month some UC would be paid. You can put your actual numbers into a benefits calculator https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators to check entitlement.

If your husband gets Enhanced Rate Daily Living PIP he should, because he is pension age, automatically be treated as having LCWRA without any assessment.

Even if you are not getting UC you may be able to get Council tax Reduction from your local authority to help with your Council tax bill.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,329 Disability Gamechanger
    auntiep69 said:
    That’s fine. It’s very confusing. Taken us nearly a year and still not rectified. Opening a new claim as husband was in support group for esa so should of been awarded limited capability for work a work related group. 
    He would only have been given LCWRA as a result of being in ESA Support Group if the claim for UC was made before the ESA ended. Unfortunately what usually happens is that people reach pension age, ESA stops, they then realise they may be able to claim UC and do so. There is now a gap between the end of the ESA claim and the UC claim so LCWRA has to be reassessed (unless automatic due to receiving enhanced rate daily Living PIP).
    There really should be grace period during which the claims are still treated as linked - but there isn't.
    The way round this is to claim UC just before reaching pension age. If this is done not only is LCWRA carried over but also the LCWRA is payable from the start of the claim without the three month wait. However there is no reason why a claimant would know to do this.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • auntiep69
    We were advised by a benefits welfare person to claim for the disability element because they tell you nothing. We got a call in April 2020 from local council to claim uc for our housing costs. Worked out we get £5 more than if we claimed uc. As a mixed age couple. It’s ridiculous as the two pensioners next door are in same situation one disabled one carer but get looked upon differently as they not mixed age
  • auntiep69
    Husband started state pension March 2020 and we were given no letters or calls to say about claiming uc.. until the April call

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.