Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I owe DWP money from a few years ago, and it's been referred to them. Can they take my backpayment?

Replies

• emmaepemmaep Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Ive just been awarded lcwra after a 10 month wait. I do owe dwp debt some money from a couple of years ago and I've been told it's been referred to them atm. Can they take all of my back payment, is there anything I can do to keep some or all of it. Thanks guys
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,959

Scope community team

Hi @emmaep :) Welcome to the community!

I know your question was relevant to the post you commented on, but I thought it made sense to create a separate discussion on this topic as your situation is slightly different. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,140 Pioneering
    emmaep said:
    Ive just been awarded lcwra after a 10 month wait. I do owe dwp debt some money from a couple of years ago and I've been told it's been referred to them atm. Can they take all of my back payment, is there anything I can do to keep some or all of it. Thanks guys
    DWP certainly believe they can and will act on that basis, whether or not that is legally correct I am unclear.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,408 Disability Gamechanger
    My take on this is that the DWP can take money you owe them from this, they can even take owed money years later from a SRP if they wanted to, how much is the debt?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • freeworldfreeworld Member Posts: 19 Listener
    @emmaep you should let them know what hardship will be caused if they take some/all of your back pay... Other then that you may want to fight it all the way to high court as a legal issue to be tested as case law. Something doesn't seem right about taking money from disabled people.......
Sign in or join us to comment.