Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

I owe DWP money from a few years ago, and it's been referred to them. Can they take my backpayment?

Replies

• emmaepemmaep Member Posts: 0 Listener
    Ive just been awarded lcwra after a 10 month wait. I do owe dwp debt some money from a couple of years ago and I've been told it's been referred to them atm. Can they take all of my back payment, is there anything I can do to keep some or all of it. Thanks guys
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,214 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @emmaep :) Welcome to the community!

I know your question was relevant to the post you commented on, but I thought it made sense to create a separate discussion on this topic as your situation is slightly different. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 481 Pioneering
    emmaep said:
    Ive just been awarded lcwra after a 10 month wait. I do owe dwp debt some money from a couple of years ago and I've been told it's been referred to them atm. Can they take all of my back payment, is there anything I can do to keep some or all of it. Thanks guys
    DWP certainly believe they can and will act on that basis, whether or not that is legally correct I am unclear.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,975 Disability Gamechanger
    My take on this is that the DWP can take money you owe them from this, they can even take owed money years later from a SRP if they wanted to, how much is the debt?
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • freeworldfreeworld Member Posts: 16 Listener
    @emmaep you should let them know what hardship will be caused if they take some/all of your back pay... Other then that you may want to fight it all the way to high court as a legal issue to be tested as case law. Something doesn't seem right about taking money from disabled people.......
Sign in or join us to comment.