When disability benefit is paid into a bank account, will this be classed as disregarded income? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

When disability benefit is paid into a bank account, will this be classed as disregarded income?

System
System Posts: 756 Scope online community team

Comments

• vanityfarm
    vanityfarm Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Can anyone help
    when the dissabillity benefit has to be paid into a bank will this still be classed as disregarded income or will it be added to the money already in the account and therefore will lose some of the housing benefit  and how will they know the difference .we save our benefit for our dissabillity needs such .mobility items
    regards
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Is the disability benefit your sole source of "income"? If so, it shouldn't be affected.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,578 Scope online community team
    Hi @vanityfarm, I'm not entirely sure of your question so have kept my answers general, so please let me know if you're asking for something more specific.

Housing benefit should already be aware you are receiving other benefits and the amount you receive from housing benefit adjusted accordingly. 
    If your total in your bank account is over a certain amount (including any money that came from benefits) then the savings/capital limit would apply - unless a specific disregard applies. 
    So if you saved up all of your income you receive from benefits such as PIP/DLA/ESA and that amount was more than the savings limit, it would impact your housing benefit.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,578 Scope online community team
    Is the disability benefit your sole source of "income"? If so, it shouldn't be affected.

Please be careful when stating opinion as fact. Even if your sole income is from benefits, if you save this and have more than £6,000, housing benefit would be affected.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • vanityfarm
    vanityfarm Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thankyou for your reply the reason I asked is that the dissabillity benefit is classed as disregarded incom so was not sure if it was classed as savings
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,352 Disability Gamechanger
    When you receive the money it is income but is disregarded. If you don't spend the money it becomes capital and is not disregarded.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.