Finances and extra costs
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

When disability benefit is paid into a bank account, will this be classed as disregarded income?

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team

Replies

• vanityfarmvanityfarm Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Can anyone help
    when the dissabillity benefit has to be paid into a bank will this still be classed as disregarded income or will it be added to the money already in the account and therefore will lose some of the housing benefit  and how will they know the difference .we save our benefit for our dissabillity needs such .mobility items
    regards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Is the disability benefit your sole source of "income"? If so, it shouldn't be affected.

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,940 Scope community team
    Hi @vanityfarm, I'm not entirely sure of your question so have kept my answers general, so please let me know if you're asking for something more specific.

Housing benefit should already be aware you are receiving other benefits and the amount you receive from housing benefit adjusted accordingly. 
    If your total in your bank account is over a certain amount (including any money that came from benefits) then the savings/capital limit would apply - unless a specific disregard applies. 
    So if you saved up all of your income you receive from benefits such as PIP/DLA/ESA and that amount was more than the savings limit, it would impact your housing benefit.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,940 Scope community team
    Is the disability benefit your sole source of "income"? If so, it shouldn't be affected.

Please be careful when stating opinion as fact. Even if your sole income is from benefits, if you save this and have more than £6,000, housing benefit would be affected.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • vanityfarmvanityfarm Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thankyou for your reply the reason I asked is that the dissabillity benefit is classed as disregarded incom so was not sure if it was classed as savings
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 417 Pioneering
    When you receive the money it is income but is disregarded. If you don't spend the money it becomes capital and is not disregarded.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.