Disability aids, equipment and technology
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Bathroom Assessment

MungoMungo Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7 Listener
Sorry I am new and finding it and to navigate these boards. 
I have been referred for a bathroom aids assessments by a local hospital. I don't want the council to come to my house to do this with very good reason. 

I have been put through absolute he'll by my local council for past 15 years they have destroyed my life. Rthey have refused to carry out Care Act assessment or provide social care. It is a long and complicated case and involves bullying and victimising, false allegations because I complained. 

The upshot is I have been to local goverment ombudsman who asked council to pay me compensation and carry out a new Care Act assessment which they refused.  They won't pay me compensation  he asked them to do. However they will do another social care assessments. So I am waiting for that. Like I have past 15 years. 

In mean time I have been referred for a bathroom assessment. I don't trust the council  to be in my house. I have autism and a hoarding problem and for various reasons it is unsafe to have them in the house because of how they have treated me. 
Can I not have bathroom aids assessed as part of my care act assessment without having council come into my home. The thought of having them in my home is far too dangerous to contemplate. I can't have an advocate either as the council control access to that as well 


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    It is normally an ot from social services that does the assessments 

    I would imagine you can refuse is it council property you live in ? If so I'm not sure as they may gave a right to access 

    I would contact CAB and ask them about your query
  • MungoMungo Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7 Listener
    Contacting CaB absolute waste of time. It is someone from council. Yes I can refuse. I am asking can this not be done as part of a social care assessment (needs assessment) and not as a seperate home vist and I don't want council in my home
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,320 Disability Gamechanger
    Social services occupational therapist does the assessment 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,227 Pioneering
    My mum is having a care needs assessment which is going to have ab emphasis on the bathroom as this is where she is struggling. 

    So from my point of view, you are having a care needs assessment, they seem to be concentrating on the bathroom side of things, is this where you said you struggle? Are there other areas where you have identified you are struggling?

    You may find that with lockdown they wont do a home visit anyway and might offer you a telephone assessment. 

    My mum was offered a telephone assessment but refused and is now on the waiting list for a face to face in the home assessment but with lockdown and backlogs she has been told average of a 4 month wait. 

    If you want a bathroom assessment, what is it you want them to do? If you don't like people in the house, what are you going to do if they council agree to aids and adaptations? They are going to need to come in to your home to install/fit them etc. 

    In relation to the council not doing as the ombudsman has said, maybe you need to go back to them and ask for advice on what you should do next? Another option would be to seek legal advice. 
  • MungoMungo Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7 Listener
    Yes I know. I was asking if this could be included within social care assessment instead of need for two separate assessments
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,320 Disability Gamechanger
    As far as I am aware the assessment is done by social services 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,051 Disability Gamechanger
    A care needs assessment should cover all aspects and rooms so should only be the need for one 

    You are most likely referred as you were still waiting for the assessment 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,227 Pioneering
    edited February 20
    I don't think they are separating them, they are just wanting to do a bathroom assessment to compliment their overall assessment of you.

    You must of stated to them you have struggles with bathing for them to want to do a bathroom assessment? 
  • MungoMungo Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7 Listener
    Yes they are separating. Anyway this is getting confrontational and can do without this. As I said it is very complex. I haven't concentrated on bathroom a hospital referred me for an assessment. Art the same time I had an issue with the council over refusing social care. Council made serious false allegations against me that I had violently assaulted a social worker. Luckily I had a na advocate with me who verified this was false information. I got a letter of apology form council excpeting incident didn't occur but because of this and other issues io don't feel safe having council in my home. They have also made very abusive comments about me and lied about me so I don't trust them. They have refused social care and refused recommendations of omudmsna. As for legal advice there is no-one who is taking on legal aid cases 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,227 Pioneering
    My only advice is to contact the council and ask if they will just do the assessment over the telephone and not in person, this will eliminate the need for letting anyone into the home. As for the other issues, I can only suggest professional and/or legal advice. A lot of solicitors offer a free 30 min no obligation advice session, you might find one that can offer this. 
  • MungoMungo Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7 Listener
    Thanks. I have done all this. I have spent 15 years going round in circles getting worse. I have spent years trying to access solcitor. No-one of them do community care law. No-one will offer 30 mins and the only advice I get is "find a solcitor' which I can't. They wriggle out of everything. I did have judicial review years ago but once solcitor closed case they went back on what they had agreed to do
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,227 Pioneering
    Im sorry for your difficulties. 

    I’m hoping one of the scope team might see this and be able to offer further advice. 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,958

    Scope community team

    Hello @Mungo

    I'm sorry to hear about this situation.  Have you tried seeking advice from your local Law centre?  These operate on a not for profit basis and their website says advisors are trained, amongst other things, in community care so that could be one option.  While I'd also recommend visiting the Advice Local website which, when you enter your postcode and click 'Disability & Social Care' from the drop-down box, will provide you with a list of free independent advisory organisations close by to where you live.

    If you would prefer to speak to someone else from Scope directly, our free helpline is available which you can contact on 0808 800 3333 to talk to one of our friendly advisors.

    Please do let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.