Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My UC statement shows DWP are taking £61, which leaves me with £1 after rent. What can I do?

SystemSystem Posts: 545

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Capability for work questionnaire.

Replies

• Debs69Debs69 Member Posts: 21 Listener
    Hi, I'm so upset my universal credit statement was ready went and had a look and they are taking £61 DWP!
    It leaves me with £1.00 after pay my rent.
    I get LWC but I'm appealing it so no payment while they do MR!
    I had enough of it all now I seriously cant cope cant take no more.
    I just dont have any thing left 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,199 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debs69 sorry about your dilemma 

This is an old post from last year so may not get picked up by others 

I hope you are ok 

Do you know why they are taking the money out of your payment ? 

Try not to give up on your appeal I know it is hard 
    No I havent a clue sorry couldnt work it out how to put new post.
    Everything just too much I cant cope.
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,281 Pioneering
    Have you left a note on your journal? I would do this and ask them what it’s for. 
    I did that ask for explanation they called the police 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,199 Disability Gamechanger
    Whi called the police ? What did you put in your journal to prompt this action 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,001

Scope community team

@Debs69, can I ask if your statement includes both your standard allowance and the housing element and whether the housing element covers your rent before any deductions?
    Community Manager
    Scope
    I have some rent arrears so I pay £557.18
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,194 Pioneering
    That would indicate that although you only have £1 of UC you are also getting ESA of £322/month (the assessment rate) so you have £323/month after paying your rent (which I know still isn't much).
    It is the deduction for the ESA which is the major deduction from your UC.
    If it is causing hardship you can ask them to reduce the debt/loan recovery deduction but it is quite a bit lower than many deductions. Are you paying back a Social Loan? If so you agreed to make the repayments when you took the loan. Do have debts from other previous benefit claims?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    Yes have 3 lots off overpayments c/tax I pay each month myself then IS and HB overpayments were taking £15.00 a month but this month, they taking an extra £46 with no explanation as to what it is for ?
    I am in middle of MR on decision made on WCA I got LWC and believe I should be in LWCRA (support group) and my ESA is stopped while they reconsider my claim!
    Just feel like this is done on purpose they are trying there best to grind me down.
    Just cant help it, that's way I feel .

Scope community team

Hi @Debs69. Can I ask how long you've been claiming ESA? When did it stop? 
    It says on your UC statement that you're still receiving it. When did you last receive an ESA payment? 

It looks as though Debt Management have decided to increase the repayments for your IS and HB overpayments. You can call them directly and explain this is putting you in financial hardship and ask for them to lower the amounts. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
    I have only 3weeks left to appeal I have someone from SARC calling wednesday to put in for MR.
    I have been signed off since 1st june 2020 it's taken until 5th feb 2021 for WCA and got decision 13th feb 2021 but already knew I was LWC because a work coach called on the 10th feb setting up work commitments.
    I am really struggling with depression anxiety and cant leave home all this is becoming too much I cant sleep the amount of stress its causing me Is making me feel ill.
    If I cant agree to commitments then I'm sanctioned.
    It's just one thing after another they called police today because I said I cant cope anymore!

edited February 22
    In the opened post you said the ESA had gone to appeal in which case they should still be paying it which is what I assumed was happening. 

It now appears that you are at MR stage so ESA is stopped. You need to tell UC that you are currently not being paid ESA (although one would hope they could see that for themselves) and ask them to amend your UC payment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    First you have to ask for MR while they go through that they dont pay esa.
    They probably take a month to decide.
    I know it's a process but cant stop worrying I'm not sleeping which makes my head go over and over it all.
    It's one thing after another it not good for my mental health when you cant leave your home I just need some help but I hitting a wall.
    Debs69 said:
    First you have to ask for MR while they go through that they dont pay esa.
    Yes, I know that.

Scope community team

This must be incredibly stressful @Debs69. Are you getting much support with your mental health and do you have any friends or family helping you?
    I hope having a bit of an action plan helps somewhat.

If you're no longer receiving ESA you need to contact UC and let them know the exact date it stopped/the date you last received a payment from them. 
    For the arrears, contact Debt Management to explain it is putting you in financial hardship and impacting your mental health and request they lower the repayments for IS and HB recovery.

In the mean time while you wait for them to look at that, it would be worth you speaking to your landlord and any upcoming bills etc to explain the situation and ask for leniency or to lower payments while you sort it. 
    Do you have enough food in etc to cover you? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.