What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Hi, my name is david400! I'm losing my job due to ill health. What benefits could I claim?

david400david400 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Help please
I am losing my job due to ill health.
My employer is saying that I can't work on reduced hours.
Can you please help with the benefits I could claim.



  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,210 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 23
    Hello and welcome to the community @david400 :) How are you? 

    I'm sorry to hear that you're losing your job to ill health. Has your employer looked into ways to keep you in work? Dismissal should be a last resort, as outlined on the gov.uk website:
    Considering dismissing an employee

    Dismissal is a last resort and you should consider as many ways as possible to help the employee back to work, including:
    • getting a medical report from their GP with the employee’s permission - they have the right to see the report before you do
    • arranging an occupational health assessment
    If the employee cannot do their job because there are no reasonable adjustments that can be made, it may be fair for you to dismiss them, even if they’re disabled.

    In terms of what benefits you could claim, you can use a benefits calculator to work out what you might be entitled to. Have you ever tried one before? 

    Just to let you know, I've renamed your post and moved it into a different category so that other members can find it more easily.

    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,305 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    I suggest you go and see your gp and get fit note stating either you are fit for work on reduced hours or get singed off sick 

    You then get Ssp fir 28 weeks and any company sick pay if they pay this 

    Then go through a medical dismissal if appropriate ask to see the company policy on this 

    Once sap has run put you can possibly claim new style esa dependant on your ni contributions and if still unfit supply fit notes so you can be assessed for your fitness for work which could pay more 

    As above do benefits calculator as you can enter all details 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 434 Pioneering
    If you have have ill health and give your employer a Fit Note from your GP they should pay you Statutory Sick Pay for up to 28 weeks. Or have you already had that? 

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 434 Pioneering
    Possible relevant benefits will be
    • new style ESA (depending on NI record and not eligible while entitled to SSP
    • Universal Credit depending on household income and excluded if savings over £16,000. Applying for UC will end any means tested benefits you currently get including Tax Credits
    • Personal Independence Payment if your health conditions limit your ability to carry out prescribed activities
    Benefit calculators will help you workout what you might get. If claiming on grounds of ill health you will have to have an assessment to determine eligibility for relevant awards.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.