My cooking thread — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

My cooking thread

System
System Posts: 597

Scope community team

edited March 30 in Coffee lounge

Comments

• foodie
    foodie Member Posts: 163 Courageous
  • foodie
    Hi all I made my lemon drizzle cake last night hope you like it I've got learning disabilities others say I'm useless at everything let me know what you think of my cake I made above many thanks 😀
  • foodie
  • foodie
    I made my own coleslaw I love it over homemade chips it's my favourite light meal 😀 when I create more recipes I will put them on here if you like them please leave a comment many thanks 😀
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,088

Scope community team

Wow the cake and coleslaw look delicious @foodie! I love a lemon drizzle. I've created you a new thread to post all of your food pictures, so that other members will be able to see it more easily. Perhaps you could post some of the recipes too?

What's your favourite thing to make?
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • foodie
    I'm making homemade spring rolls tonight my main things I love are cakes and salad stuff love red peppers when I create my recipe book I'll send some recipes I've created along with ingredients untinls and pics I'm passionate about teaching people to cook and bake who are disabled its been my dream for long time thank you for setting up a thread for me I hope others will like what I post on.here I've lost of ideas 😀😀
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,612 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope we can all have a virtual slice of your lemon drizzle cake in our virtual 'Coffee lounge' @foodie - then we can all have homemade chips & coleslaw for tea! Thank you for the photos. :)
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Member Posts: 344 Pioneering
    They look great. Spring rolls😋
  • foodie
    I'm going to put up my homemade spring rolls tonight on.here mini spring rolls 😀😀 hope you all look forward to seeing them later tonight 😀
  • foodie
  • foodie
    Hey I dicided to make my own pizza tomatoe sauce see above pic  its really good over pizza base which is also really easy to do I will put that recipe up later tonight 😀 😀 
  • foodie
    My pizza sauce tomato recipe 

Step 1 chop and get one large onion until soft 
    Step 2 open and put tin of chopped tomatoes into fried onions 
    Step 3 add 2 tablespoon of brown sugar into tomatoes
    Step 4 boil them simmer tomatoes for 1he
    Step 5 leave to cool them put tomatoes into blender 
    Step 6 leave to cool them put in fridge overnight 
    Step 7 perfect homemade tomato pizza sauce 😁
    Please let me know how it turns out many thanks for.all positive comments 😁😁
  • foodie
  • foodie
    My homemade pizza dough above 😁😁
  • foodie
    My homemade pizza dough above 😁😁
  • j1971
    j1971 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Looks really nice.
  • foodie
    LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE

Category Dessert
    Preparation Time 20 mins
    Cook Time 40 mins
    Total Time 1hr
    Yield 4

Ingredients
    6oz butter
    6oz caster sugar
    7 1/2 oz self raising flour 
    3 eggs
    3 tbsp milk
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 lemons grated 
    6oz graduated sugar
    Juice of 2 lemons 

Directions
    Line a square Tin with greeseproof paper 

Put all ingredients to make cake into mixing bowl except graduated sugar and juice of 2 lemons

mix until creamy no lumps 

Put the cake mixture into prepared Tin make sure it is pressed into corners most important

Make sure you got an adult to watch you put cake into pre heated oven at 160 centigrade for 25 to 30 mins after that stick a skewer into middle of cake if clean its done 

Leave cake to cool 

For TOPPING 
    Spoon the lemon juice and graduated sugar over cake while still cool but not hot leave to go cold 
  • foodie
    My first own recipe I created on lemon drizzle cake I will design all my recipes all the same layout I hope you all like it please leave comments below and if you make any of my recipes please let me know what you think of them.on here 😀😀
  • Tori_Scope

Scope community team

Thanks for posting the recipes @foodie! The dough and sauce look delicious- what toppings do you like to put on your pizza?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• foodie
    My favourite topping is plain cheese and tomato are you going to try a recipe 😀😀 
  • Queenofdisabilities
    Queenofdisabilities Member Posts: 91 Connected
    Hi Foodie don't ever listen to anyone saying you're useless at everything ok?
    You are an excellent cook thats plain to see with all your pics of yummy food!!😁.
    You don't need nyone in your life that says you're useless.
    Its such a cruel nasty thing to say.
    If you ever want anyone to talk to just message me & i will always get back to you ok lovely?
    Take care keep making your yummy food & showing us the recipes.
    I love ham,pineapple,mushrooms,onions & garlic on my pizza.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,359 Disability Gamechanger
    @foodie

Thanks for sharing looks great 

However your recipe for lemon drizzle you say spoon over lemon and sugar over cake,  does it not need heating up to make a syrup to let the sugar melt? 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can't help I will
  • foodie
    I ment put lemon juice and sugar together in a bowl and mix them up together    never tried warming up the sugar and lemon juice must try that many thanks 😀 Janer 1967
  • janer1967
    Warming up si the sugar dissolves makes it nice and sticky and when cold it turns into like a thin crust like frosting 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can't help I will
  • foodie
  • foodie
    Pizza dough

Category Starter
    Preparation Time 1hr
    Cook Time 30
    Total Time 1he 30 mins
    Yield 4

Ingredients
    2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    200 grams strong white flour 
    1 packet of yeast
    140 mils luke warm water

Directions
    Put flour yeast and pinch of salt into large mixing bowl 

Pour in luke warm water and extra virgin olive oil

Mix to create a wet dough 

Turn dough into clean well flouted surface 

Work with hands until smooth 

Shape into ball 

Brush tops of dough with little oil 

Cover with cling film 

Leave to rest for 30 to 60 mins 

Then kneed dough again a little not too much 

Cover with cling film until needed 

Pizza dough done ✔😀😀
  • foodie
    homemade bread 

Category Starter
    Preparation Time 1hr
    Cook Time 90 mins
    Total Time 2 hrs 30 mins 
    Yield 1

Ingredients
    250 grams of strong white flour
    250 grams of wholemeal strong flour

2 tsp salt (small spoon)
    Packet of yeast 
    3 tbs oil
    300ml luke warm water 

Directions
    Mix together flour and salt in large bowl 

Dissolve yeast in little luke warm water leave untill bubbles form

Add yeast and nearly all remaining water

Mix well untill you have soft dough 

Turn onto a floured surface kneed for 5 mins 

Return to oiled bowl cover dough in cling film with little oil ( about 1 hr )

Then kneed dough a little to get air out 

Transfer dough into bread Tin oil the bread Tin first  oven.safe bread Tin needed 

Bake for 1 hr 20 mins look to see if raised if it has take out of oven tap bread if hollow sound its ready 

Leave to cool cut into slices bread done 😀😀
  • foodie
    I've done a bread making course at college got a certificate in making bread 🍞 I enjoy making homemade bread it's fun 😀😀
  • Tori_Scope

Scope community team

There's nothing better than a freshly baked loaf @foodie

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 624 Pioneering
    edited April 1
    Well done on your bread making course at college @foodie! As @Tori_Scope says, there's nothing better than a freshly baked loaf, with lots of butter, and maybe a bit of strawberry jam.

In fact, it's making me hungry now just thinking about it. Thanks very much for the recipes as well. That's really useful to have those. Now I have no excuse for not having a go at making my own bread!

Knowing my luck with cooking though, something is bound to go wrong :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

• foodie
    Do you think I can really produce my owm.disabled online cookbook for real and would you help like showing others my recipes on here 😀 please I'm really serious about this 
  • foodie
    Before I got into cooking and baking I had a drink problem I drank a bottle of vodka a night to block out the bad stuff in my life I've not had a drink in nearly a year now but I feel like starting drinking again I got a bottle of vodka last night not had any yet but I feel like starting drinking again 😢😢😢😢
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Posts: 4,613 Disability Gamechanger
    @foodie please don't I know its hard I havent had a drink since I was 18 my abusers forced  me and the others to drink I was an alcoholic from 14 to 18yrs old sometimes I feel like it but I never fo its not worth it even in these times life is better than drinking 

Do you you have some one to talk to about it or speak to your dr you can still speak to AA to tell them how your feeling  try not to drink please 🙂
  • foodie
    I'm cleaning getting my mind of the vodka im really hoping t create an online cookbook for people who can't cook or bake of all ages I lack confedence I've got certificate in cooking and baking 😀 I feel like no one will be intreststed in it and that is why I'm thinking of turning to vodka at least that way others know I'm not getting anywhere have you seen my recipes on here 😀 
  • foodie
    I really want to change my life around but others say I won't get to where I want to be so I feel like doing what others want and giving up my dream on cooking or baking I've had a bad past I really want things to change this time 😢😢
  • lisathomas50
    @foodie your good at your cooking forget what those people are saying  your good at what you do stick to it show those people that you can make something of your life dobt give up because of  those people being negative  write your cookery book there is entry of help for you to be able to do this  don't give up and pmwase don't drink don't throw it all away prove those negative people wrong 

I know its hard I have gone through it myself  please seek help and guidance  write your cookery book  get help to do this please 
  • lisathomas50
    @foodie your receipes  are good  take no notice prove them wrong your better than that the vodka won't get you anywhere  but your cook book will and you are helping others  you need to be strong you haven't had a drink for a year  you can do this 
  • foodie
    Thank you 😀 when I've completed my cookbook I'll show you it maybe you can show others it would you do that they could message me with what they think it could take long time to complete though I feel a little more positive now 😀 I'll keep you updated if you like too 
  • lisathomas50
    @foodie yes please keep me updated  on how your Cook book is going and how your doing glad your feeling a bit more positive  just ease don't drink 😊 
  • foodie
    Okay thank you 😀 hope we could maybe be friends in time if that's cool 😀 can we chat tomorrow if that's okay 😀
  • Tori_Scope

Scope community team

Hi @foodie :) I'm sorry to read you had a difficult night last night, but I'm glad lisathomas50 was around to chat to you. I've sent you an email, so it'd be great if you could take a look at that when you get a moment.

• janer1967
    @foodie keep going with the cookbook it will be of interest to lots of people 

Simple recipes easy to make and tasty will give others confidence to have a go 

I am trying to teach my son basic cookery so he can be more independent 

Keep sharing the recipes 

Have think about how you are going to put the book together will take your mind off the drink 

Get rid of the vodka or make it into vodka jelly but try not to have temptation in the way 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,620 Disability Gamechanger
    That cook book would be of great interest to me. I like to think I am relatively intelligent - at least not stupid - but when it comes to cooking I am totally inept (mostly due to my issues which I am working on). A book aimed at people who can’t cook very well would be a great idea and I would buy one. I know there lots of people in a similar position as well so I am certain I am not the only one. :)

• foodie
    I want to cater for.all ages from young to old I'm going to start with salads stuff I love any salads peppers celery tomatoes stuff like that can you suggest ages ranges any ideas 😀😀 
  • foodie
    I'm putting together a book about 100 fav recipes I'll put them.up here 😀 a page at a time do you can.do.them and please leave comments below if you try one of my recipes 
  • foodie
    Tomato and basil bread

Category Starter
    Preparation Time 2hrs
    Cook Time 1hr 15mins
    Total Time 3hrs 15mins

Ingredients
    500 grams strong white flour
    1 packet dried yeast 
    Tomato puree
    Good pinch of basil 
    Pinch of salt 
    Pinch of sugar 
    Luke warm water 

Directions
    Mix dry ingredients in bowl Flour Yeast Salt Sugar Basil 

Tomato puree with water to soft consistency

Mix together dry ingredients plus tomato puree in bread mix 

Lightly oil round bowl put bread mix into bowl cover with film

Leave for 1hr 30 mins then kneed well

Cover cling film again leave for 30 mins 

Put in baking bread Tin 

Pre heat oven about 160c

Cool for 1hr 15 mins keep checking 

• Tori_Scope

Scope community team

Salads sound good @foodie :) They're definitely suitable for all ages, too. Perhaps you could do a few different recipes with different vegetables, proteins (meat, cheese etc.) and dressings or sauces? 

The tomato and basil bread looks tasty!

• foodie
    Why don't you try making it 😀😀 the bread smells really nice once it's done 😀😀 I
  • foodie
    I'm going on a diet want to lose 1 stone in.weight in 2 months 😀😀 my cookbook could be all about healthy foods does that sound good idea 
  • lisathomas50
    @foodie glad your feeling better today sorry I haven't been on here today my mum is back at my house for two weeks she has dementia  I am nornaly around though love your recipes you put on here today 😊
  • foodie
    Thank you 😀 hey could we maybe become friends on here and will you show others my recipes let me know what they think 😀😀 hope your mum is okay 😀
  • foodie
    Don't have any friends 😢😢
  • foodie
    I'm doing an open university course in mathematics i Love numbers im hoping to progress into a diploma in mathematics though open university at some point as well as creating my online cookbook 

• Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,005

Scope community team

foodie said:
    I'm doing an open university course in mathematics i Love numbers im hoping to progress into a diploma in mathematics though open university at some point as well as creating my online cookbook 

Sounds super, how is the course going?
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • Caz_Alumni
    My word @foodie - multi-talented or what? 

Chef skills, plans for an online cookbook, and an OU course in maths. That's pretty impressive - well done you. That must keep you pretty busy all-in-all :)

• foodie
  • foodie
    This is my maths certificate from open learn from open university I did 😀
  • foodie
    Everyday maths 1 from open university online 
  • foodie
  • foodie
    I got 78 percent pass out of 100  from my maths exam online on the everyday maths 1 course 
  • chiarieds
    Congratulations for such a good score for your OU maths exam @foodie :)
  • foodie
  • foodie
    Love this song it makes me feel like I'm not alone hope it helps you all too 😀😀
  • foodie
    Would you like to know a little about my background of so let me know 😢😢
  • Ibelive2020
    Ibelive2020 Member Posts: 799 Pioneering
    @föodie like you i love báking food etc takes my mind off things 
  • lisathomas50
    @foodie hi how are you today my mum has good and bad days  well done on your maths I did open University I did law and physiology  and I did my social workers degree  not because I wanted to be a social worker but how to help people if they had problems with social services 

My friends love your recipes  
  • foodie
    Cool 😀😀😀 have they got full copies of the recipes I've put up 😀 and can you help me show my recipes to others who are your friends if it's cool me asking 
  • foodie
    Love your cake by the way 😀😀
  • foodie
    Love the cholate cake ibelive2020 😀😀 it's really nice 😀
  • lisathomas50
    @foodie I screen shot them  
  • foodie
    Cool 😀 how many people have you shown them.too 😀😀
  • foodie
    Could we maybe be friends lisathomas50 if that's cool 😀 
  • Ibelive2020
    Thank you @föodie i cook as it takes my mind off things -ié my past and things i cook most of my famílies meals from scratch 
  • foodie
    Could we be friends on here maybe in time lbelive2020 
  • Ibelive2020
    @foodie of course we can thát be nice thank you 
  • Ibelive2020
    Happy Easter @foodie hope you have a peaceful calm day 
  • foodie
  • foodie
    I made a cheesecake today 😀 hope you all like it made it 30 mins ago 
  • Ibelive2020
  • Ibelive2020
  • Ibelive2020
    My first attempt today at making homemade yorkshire puddings 
  • Caz_Alumni
    @foodie

Well, for a first attempt, they look absolutely spot-on :)

And cheesecake for pudding? Absolutely delish! 

That's been another busy day in the kitchen for you, then! Hope you really enjoy the fruits of your labour this evening :)

• Ibelive2020
  • chiarieds
    Lovely cheesecake @foodie - I really like them :)
    Perfect looking yorkshires @Ibelive2020 - you should have seen the look on my daughter-in-law's face when she got a quarter of a yorkshire pudding, as I do mine like my Mum did in a large rectangular tin.....she asked my son why they weren't round. :)
  • Ibelive2020
    Thank you @chiarieds up until today i would use aunt bessies frozen yorkshire puddings well now i know i can make them from scratch bye bye frozen yorkshire puddings 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • foodie
    Do you think I could make this online cookbook for real do you think I'm good enough I lack confedence in myself people say I'm rubbish or useless 😢😢😢😢😢
  • Caz_Alumni
    Yes @foodie! Fair enough, it might not be easy - but I think we can all see that you've got some fab cooking skills and a lot of dedication :)

Plus, I'll be very honest with you - I live with a chef who has nearly thirty years experience of cooking. Now he does make a mean cheesecake, so I'd have to taste both your version and his to be able to compare properly ;)

But for sure, he can't make yorkshire puds that look as good as that!!

So, you keep on doing what you're doing - hopefully, slowly and surely that will you to build up a bit more confidence :)

• foodie
    The online cookbook is for disabled and others with learning disabilities it's going to be easy recipes cos I'm disabled too I'm thinking of a good title maybe green fingers cookbook for disabled 
  • Ibelive2020
    @Caz_Scope those áré my yorkshire puddings i máde them today nőt so bad for my first attempt lol 
  • foodie
    I've had a rubbish past taken vodka and tablets f we heard ago had rubbish friends friends who only wanted to be my friends when I had money got me doing silly stuff it got to the point where I wanted to end everything so I took tablets and vodka I got sectioned in hospital under mental health act I don't want to go back there again hung around with others who controlled me it was awful now I'm trying to get my life back on track my ex friend was a gambler he got me into gambling now I want to change my life around I also self harmed back then now things I'm hoping are going to be different I think I've got good friend's maybe in time 
  • Ibelive2020
    @foodie i have had rubbish past 2 was in fostercare etc plus violent relationship years ágó im with a lovely mán now Been together 10 years we have 6 lovely children my oldest 2 árent hís bút they call hím dad he loves them as hís own i have Been used like you friend wise i only talk to 4 ppl on my street i hardly go out bút i have máde some great friends on here 
  • foodie
    I've been given a second chance at life I don't want to go back into drinking vodka every night I was a horrible person back then luckily I've got counselling once a week which helps me but there are times which I think about given up everything and turning to drink this is my last chance to change 
  • foodie
    If I fall back into old habits I will be going to prison I've been told that  I'm hoping with counselling and chatting on here that I will become the person I really want to be do I have friends on here 😀
  • Ibelive2020
    @foodie please dönt fall back intő bad habits and i defo dönt want tóo see you going tóo prison yes i know life is hard at times for everybody some worse than others i understand thát i have good and bad days i suffer with PTSD dépression anxiety some times my anxiety tries tó strangle me bút i have learnt tó live with it now i just distract myself busy yes when you drink vodka your problems go for abit bút when you wake the next day they are still going tó be there my brother died 10 years ágó because of drink and drugs hé had alot of help bút how van you help someone who wont help themself ????
  • Ibelive2020
    And the love of my children my partner and friends on this community get me through each and everyday i have changed my life around so if i can do it then anyone can 
  • foodie
    I've got 10 pounds on me I want to get vodka tonight my doctors say cos I'm on tablets I should not get vodka i m  in t so minds I want some but I not sure it's hard 😕😕 do I have people on here who understand what I'm going though I think that.will help I will let you know what I get from shop tonight if you like sorry about this message back here later tonight stay safe 😢
  • foodie
    Went to shops but didn't get bottle of vodka got Chinese takeaway I'm trying to focus on open university course in maths if I feel down again can I tell you all 😊 I'm going to try really hard to do the right thing thank you all 😊😊
  • lisathomas50
  • foodie
    I've had 5 months of doing my open university course.maybe I should go back into studying take my mind of the drink 
  • foodie
    Ment I've not done my open university course for 5 months cos of my drinking 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.