Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Should I have been entitled to the SDP element of ESA?

SystemSystem Posts: 520

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Sdp and Enhanced disability premium.

Replies

• salfordgirl4321salfordgirl4321 Member Posts: 29 Listener
    @calcotti

Hi, sorry to jump in here but I wondered if you could please answer a question for me? I’m also on ESA in the support group and have been for 4 years. For the past 3 years I was receiving the disability income guarantee payment of £17.10 a week as part of my ESA, could you please tell me if I should of also been entitled to and receiving the SDP element too? Or would I have had to have been receiving PIP to receive SDP. Incidentally I have now been for the last 12 months on PIP enhanced daily living and do now receive SDP whilst still in the ESA support group. Thanks 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 1,239 Pioneering
    Information on SDP here https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

The disability income guarantee has nothing to do with SDP. If you were not getting a disability benefit you were not entitled to the SDP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,404

Scope community team

Hi @salfordgirl4321

I split your question from the other thread as to avoid any confusion :)  I hope @calcotti 's helpful reply has clarified any doubt you had you may have missed out on SDP and it's good to know you are now receiving it alongside PIP.  

Please let us know if you ever have any other questions and take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    When I said the disability income guarantee I was meaning I was receiving the enhanced disability premium, it’s just worded as disability income guarantee on the breakdown of my ESA support group benefit award. Or are they not the same thing?
    The amount was for £17.10 a week
    @Cher_Scope
    When I said the disability income guarantee I was meaning I was receiving the enhanced disability premium, it’s just worded as disability income guarantee on the breakdown of my ESA support group benefit award. Or are they not the same thing?
    edited April 11
    I knew what you meant. I don't know why it’s referred to as disability income guarantee in letters - there’s probably a historic reason. It makes no difference to SDP entitlement, as explained. if you were not getting a disability benefit (PIP or DLA) you could not be entitled to SDP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    So is the Disability income guarantee part of ESA not the same thing as The Enhanced Disability Premium?
    So is the Disability income guarantee part of ESA not the same thing as The Enhanced Disability Premium?
    Two names for the same thing.
    Sorry about all of this, Is the Enhanced Disability Premium an actual Disability Benefit or NOT? I just find it confusing that they would call it a disability premium if wasn’t a disability benefit, it doesn’t make sense to me.
    In regards to my last question above, I’ll copy and past an earlier reply you sent me much further up the page

Information on SDP here https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

The disability income guarantee has nothing to do with SDP. If you were not getting a disability benefit you were not entitled to the SDP.
    edited April 18
    Sorry about all of this, Is the Enhanced Disability Premium an actual Disability Benefit or NOT? I just find it confusing that they would call it a disability premium if wasn’t a disability benefit, it doesn’t make sense to me.
    No it’s not. It’s not a separate benefit, it’s a premium.  Disability benefit means DLA, PIP or Attendance Allowance.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to add another resource to confirm what @calcotti has mentioned. There are different disability premiums added to some benefits. To receive the SDP you would have to receive the daily living component of PIP (which you now do, tho previously didn't qualify), DLA care component at the middle or higher rate, or Attendance Allowance. They are extra amounts (premiums) added in to some qualifying benefits. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility    as far as SDP goes, usually so long as no-one over 18 lives with you, unless they are registered as blind, or also receive a qualifying benefit.
    So, you now qualify, but previously didn't.

ive just had a look at the link regarding the disability premiums. I’ll copy and paste here info about the DISABILTY PREMIUM 

Disability premium

You or your partner must be under pension credit age and either registered blind or getting:

• Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
    • Working Tax Credit with a disability element
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Incapacity Benefit

If you do not qualify, you may still get the premium if you’ve been unable to work for at least a year.

COULD you please tell me what the last two lines mean where it says you may still get the premium if you’ve been unable to work for at least a year?

edited April 19
    Means what it says.

Disability premium can apply to income based JSA, Income Support and Housing Benefit (in Limited circumstances). Note that the Disability Premium has nothing to do with the Severe Disability Premium. 
Sign in or join us to comment.