Wheelchair user looking for alternative funding to make garden accessible — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Wheelchair user looking for alternative funding to make garden accessible

System
System Posts: 635

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: PAID HELP WANTED URGENT- DIYer TO BUILD GARDEN CONTAINERS.

Comments

• Supportw
    Supportw Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi, how did you get on? I have a similar situation. full time wheelchair user whose garden needs a makeover so that it can be accessible. council only fund so much so looking for alternative funding methods. thanks.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,915 Disability Gamechanger
    @Supportw this is a 3 year old post so you may not get a response from this user 

Also your situation is different you are looking for funding they were looking for someone to pay to do the work 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • Supportw
    Thanks. Similar in that both seeking work doing relating to outside space. Funding may end up going this way depending on outcome of search
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,376 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Supportw and welcome to the community.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the council's partial funding. You don't say what percentage of the funding the council has offered, however even if just 50% then  you are looking for match funding, ie the cost is split over more than one grant giver.  Those doing grants often like this type of funding as they are not meeting the full cost, leaving some funding for others. 

While it is not a source I have personally used, crowd source funding can also be good source for raising funds, and as the council are prepared to meet some of the costs you are not trying to raise the full amount.

Here is a site that may help you: https://www.disability-grants.org/

It has a lot of good information about grants, criteria and how to apply for them, as well as other sources.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Supportw
    why do you think I am quick to dismiss council funding? I only stated a fact that they're funding some of the works. I tried disability grants and I am also considering crowd funding and researching this.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,376 Disability Gamechanger
    Perhaps because you stated you were looking for alternative funding?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Supportw
    additional thrn
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,414

Scope community team

Hi @Supportw

Just to advise, I've split this thread from the original to avoid any confusion.  In addition to the helpful advice already received, I'd recommend looking at Scope's 'Fundraising for things you need' webpage.  This has lots of information about grants and crowdfunding too. 

Please let us know how you get on and I hope it's not too long before you can fully enjoy your garden.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.