I currently rent, but would like to look into getting a mortgage. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I currently rent, but would like to look into getting a mortgage. Any advice?

System
System Posts: 702

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Mortgage?.
Tagged:

Comments

• EstelleWoolley
    EstelleWoolley Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello all. I am 35, single, living with a long term disability of which I receive the disability component of Universal Credit, plus the housing component, and PIP. I currently live in shared,  rented accommodation but I would like to secure a more stable future for myself and look into the possibility of a mortgage. Does anyone here have any advice? Many thanks. Estelle 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,160 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EstelleWoolley

Welcome on board 

Unfortunately you will struggle to get a mortgage if your only income is benefits 

Lenders are reluctant to lend as benefits can be stopped

• Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 6,669

Scope community team

Hello all. I am 35, single, living with a long term disability of which I receive the disability component of Universal Credit, plus the housing component, and PIP. I currently live in shared,  rented accommodation but I would like to secure a more stable future for myself and look into the possibility of a mortgage. Does anyone here have any advice? Many thanks. Estelle 
    Hello and welcome to the community! As mentioned above it is quite difficult to get a mortgage if your main income is from benefits, although I don't think that should stop you from trying and having the ambition. 

You might find this information page helpful, it gives some important points to consider, and recommends getting professional advice.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,172 Disability Gamechanger
    @EstelleWoolley hi, it's never been impossible to get a mortgage when all your income is from benefits, just more difficult, since the pandemic lenders have tightened up their criteria, I mentioned above trying a "whole of market broker" they often have access to more lenders than most brokers would have.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • EstelleWoolley
    EstelleWoolley Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for your advice everyone :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.