Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I currently rent, but would like to look into getting a mortgage. Any advice?

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Mortgage?.
Tagged:

Replies

• EstelleWoolleyEstelleWoolley Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello all. I am 35, single, living with a long term disability of which I receive the disability component of Universal Credit, plus the housing component, and PIP. I currently live in shared,  rented accommodation but I would like to secure a more stable future for myself and look into the possibility of a mortgage. Does anyone here have any advice? Many thanks. Estelle 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,238 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EstelleWoolley

Welcome on board 

Unfortunately you will struggle to get a mortgage if your only income is benefits 

Lenders are reluctant to lend as benefits can be stopped

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,228

Scope community team

Hello all. I am 35, single, living with a long term disability of which I receive the disability component of Universal Credit, plus the housing component, and PIP. I currently live in shared,  rented accommodation but I would like to secure a more stable future for myself and look into the possibility of a mortgage. Does anyone here have any advice? Many thanks. Estelle 
    Hello and welcome to the community! As mentioned above it is quite difficult to get a mortgage if your main income is from benefits, although I don't think that should stop you from trying and having the ambition. 

You might find this information page helpful, it gives some important points to consider, and recommends getting professional advice.
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,785 Disability Gamechanger
    @EstelleWoolley hi, it's never been impossible to get a mortgage when all your income is from benefits, just more difficult, since the pandemic lenders have tightened up their criteria, I mentioned above trying a "whole of market broker" they often have access to more lenders than most brokers would have.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • EstelleWoolleyEstelleWoolley Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for your advice everyone :) 
Sign in or join us to comment.