Worried GP may refuse to provide fit notes as fiance can't speak to him, and he's not on meds — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried GP may refuse to provide fit notes as fiance can't speak to him, and he's not on meds

Options
emlg1222
emlg1222 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi all,
I'm currently trying to apply for uc for my fiance and i. my fiance has urinary incontinence and depression and anxiety. I'm really at my wits end here, it's so difficult trying to sort it out for him as he is unable to do it himself due to his mental health conditions. I'm currently looking at the citizen's advice page and doing the 'to do list'. It says he will need a fit note from the doctor before being sent the uc50. I am very worried that the doctor will refuse this as he has been unhelpful in the past. My fiance last saw the doctor in march 2020, who confirmed his results from the urology department and told him that his urinary incontinence was most likely caused by his severe anxiety and left him with that. He was on sertraline when he saw the doctor, but around 3 months later stopped taking them because he felt like he was feeling a lot worse on medication, but did not tell the doctor, and still hasn't. Around 2 maybe 3 years ago he was also on propranolol for his anxiety and came off that too, and a few years before that on different anti depressants. The doctor has written maybe three or four fit notes signing my fiance off sick from work due to depression and anxiety (and back pain which the doctor also says is caused by his anxiety) between 2018 and early 2020 when he last saw the doctor, so it is a problem which has been ongoing for a while and a problem the doctor has been aware of, and he has (reluctantly) agreed to fit notes in the past. My fiance stopped work in march due to his conditions. I'm just very worried the doctor may refuse due to my fiance not speaking to him in a year, stopping the medication and also because it'll be me asking for a fit note (with consent from my fiance) as his anxiety is so severe he is unable to speak to the doctor. Is anyone able to advise on this?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

First of all is this a joint claim and do you work? 

To get uc with no work commitments you will need yogo through work capability process 

Report medical condition on his journal but yes you must supply fit note within 7 days and continously till he has been assessed 

After 28 days his work coach should refer him for wca and you will get the uc50 form . Then will follow the assessment and a decision made 

Only getting lcwra pays any additional money and turns off any work requirements 

You can of course claim uc if entitled without the additional payment bit he would be expected to look for work 

All you can do is explain the need for fit note to his gp 

Any further questions just ask 

Does he get pip at all 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.