I have a few questions about ill health retirement — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I have a few questions about ill health retirement

System
System Posts: 626

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Ill health retirement.

Comments

• Jobo7
    Jobo7 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Jean71
    I am in the same situation. Can you offer any advice please? We're you successful in your application? Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,763 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jobo7

This is quite an old post so you may not get a response as I don't know if the member is still active 

You may be better starting a new post so it can get attention 

I do have experience of ill health retirement from a human resource aspect if you have any questions 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • Jobo7
    Hi @janer1967
    I have lots of questions. 
    Is there any way of private messaging you please?
    Thank you
  • janer1967
    @Jobo7

You can only pm a member when you reach 25 posts so until then you can ask on this thread if you do the @ lije you have done I should pick it up 

I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • Jobo7
    Hi @janer1967
    I am off long term sick with various comobilities fibro, RA, spinal spondolosis and achilies tendinitis to name but a few. I am struggling mentally with depression and anxiety mainly surrounding not being able to function in my role as a nurse. I am therefore considering applying for IHR.  I am anxious in case I don't qualify but can't perform safely in my role due to pain, forgetfulness, reduced mobility, fatigue. Can you offer any advice? I am under OH. 
    Thank you. 
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

If you are under oh they should recommend your future options 

I presume you are in a pension and how old are you? 

Ill health retirement is a hard one to get and will need good evidence to show you can no longer work as it means not being able to work in any capacity for the company 

Have a look at your pension provider website or your papers see what the conditions are 

Other options are reasonable adjustments or medical dismissal I would ask for a copy of the policies 

For retirement they will ask for access to your medical records and you may need to see pension company doctor 

Lots to think over 

Do you claim pip just asking as this can help as 8t evidences you are recognised as having a disability 

Hope this helps a bit happy to answer any more questions 
  • Jobo7
    Ok thank you. Very helpful. I ll speak to OH in mire detail. Much appreciated. 
  • Jobo7
    How does medical dismissal work? Does that interlink with IHR? 
  • janer1967
    No it doesn't link to retirement basically you are dismissed 

There will be no pension  payment . Some companies do pay compensation similar to a statutory redundancy payment.  However they are not obliged to by any statutory requirement 

This is why I mentioned getting a copy of the policy relating to this 
  • Jobo7
    Ok I ll check it out. Thank you
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,575

Scope community team

Hi @jobo7 :) Just to let you know, I've split off your comments from the previous thread into a thread of their own, as you had quite a few questions that warranted their own post. I'm glad Janer1967 has been able to help you out. Please do ask any further questions you may have once you've taken a look at the policies. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.