What really annoys you ? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

What really annoys you ?

woodbine
woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,254 Disability Gamechanger
Have you got one thing that really annoys you?

For me it has to be lateness, not just other people being late (grrrr), but I hate being late myself.

So over to you...
Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Member Posts: 548 Pioneering
          Bad manners, it doesn't cost anything to be polite 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,549 Disability Gamechanger
    Not many things annoy me honestly but a few I can think of:

- People saying something/they will be 15 minutes, then when 15 minutes goes past they say it'll be 10 more minutes. Just say 25 minutes to start with then I can plan around it! Same goes when the time is measured in longer amounts of times like days/weeks for example a waiting list being 3 months then after 3 months they tell you it'll be another 3 months. Just say 6 months from the start!

- Superfluous and unnecessary paperwork/admin/bureaucracy.

- People who are grumpy/angry/aggressive for little or no reason.

- Bad manners, I agree with above.

I sound like a right old grumpy fart now :D 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,213 Disability Gamechanger
    Lying really annoys me unless it is a person with a very good memory they get found out 

Bullying of any form 

More lighthearrd a bad meal in a restaurant  
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    Z list celebs, packaging on medicines, (big box with only 4 tablets type thing i mean )
  • Cressida
    Cressida Member Posts: 920 Pioneering
    So many things  :D in particular lateness is one of my pet hates. Mind you I'm always early for everything. If a meeting starts at 2pm I'm ready at least 5 minutes before. Middle lane hoggers is another one. This thread could run and run ......
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,923 Disability Gamechanger
    Where do i begin :lol:

Untidiness 
    Disrespect
    Being spoken to like a child
    Being patted by strangers when out and about

No doubt I will come back with more...
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • woodbine
    This could be endless, the list could be a long one.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Bad service in a shop or restaurant.

people who habitually don’t smile.

internet service providers charges 

people who litter.

employers who cheat their employees.

companies who don’t pay their sub-contractors in a timely fashion.

however I have a secret weapon for all of these ...acceptance/ tolerance. The problem is if you dwell on these things they get to annoy/upset you repeatedly instead of the one or odd occasions.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,445 Disability Gamechanger
    Corruption, poverty and people who use the word “bully” as a proxy for “anyone who dares disagree with me or give me a reasonable instruction”.
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Posts: 4,584 Disability Gamechanger
    Bullying 
    People not listening
    Petrol prices 
    Abusive people 
    Poverty 
    Homeless 
    Cutting grass 

There are so many things good thread though 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,642 Disability Gamechanger
    People in general really.  :D

But if I had to pick specifics, it would be inconsiderate actions, single mindedness, patronising, condescending...people unable to see something from any viewpoint other than their own. 
  • coylygirl
    coylygirl Member Posts: 281 Pioneering
    Liars, particularly those that gaslight you to make you feel that you are the one in the wrong.  Have recently been a victim of this and it took me 2.5 years to get out of the situation
  • Cressida
    People who drop litter. Especially people who chuck stuff out of car windows ..........  :#
  • Charlieniblett
    Charlieniblett Member Posts: 54 Connected
    People who don’t pick up after their dog.
    People who leave their shopping trolleys in the middle of a car park.
    People who litter.
    People who pull out in front of you without looking.
    People with no common sense or who are generally too lazy to use it.
    I think I just have a general dislike of people!!
  • 66Mustang
    Another one for me...doesn't happen here luckily but happens a lot on other forums I use.

People who are rude or aggressive towards others on the internet.

Now I don't like rudeness anywhere and am not condoning being rude in real life, but it does take a special kind of coward to do it from the safety of their computer screen. If you are going to be rude, at least face the person and do it, don't be a chicken!
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Member Posts: 548 Pioneering
          People that always have to have the last word, even thought they're wrong...and they probably know it  ;)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,974

Scope community team

People who are patronising or condescending can rile me right up! I had a few teachers at school, or people I've known in general, who were patronising and it makes my blood boil.

It also annoys me when people deliberately embarrass other people, especially if there's a power imbalance.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    edited May 24
    Lists
    specifically shopping lists
    more specifically shopping lists given to me because I happen to be going out somewhere which might be a mile away from a supermarket which I could pop in to whilst I’m out trying to enjoy myself doing something  else.

luckily it doesn’t happen very often these days 😄
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Poor grammar...eg when people write and say " I should of gone" when it ought to be " I should have gone".
    Also when people use an apostrophe s for  plurals.
  • woodbine
    I have another and you hear it used everywhere even on the TV and radio, it's when people say, terday or termorrow  instead of today and tomorrow, it really grates on me.
  • woodbine
    edited May 25
    I have another and you hear it used everywhere even on the TV and radio, it's when people say, terday or termorrow  instead of today and tomorrow, it really grates on me.
    And one other my son always (and often) says can you "borrow" me £20 dad  :)
  • Cressida
    edited May 26
    @woodbine Couples who when walking towards you on a narrow pavement are holding hands and refuse to let go of each other :( Do they expect me to walk in the road  >:) So rude! 

How could I have forgotten those annoying people who feel the need to talk loudly on their mobile phones when browsing in a supermarket or clothes shop. Just why  :/

I can't stop now  :smiley: People who clothes shop with a partner and the partner just stands there getting in the way of other shoppers ..............

Drivers who don't acknowledge you when you let them out of a side road or give way for them. 

• OverlyAnxious
    Having to try and explain the same thing 20 times when all of the information was in the first email I sent...  :angry:

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Member Posts: 344 Pioneering

Liars
    Bullying of any kind
    People spitting in the street
    Those that drop litter
    Fly tippers
    People with no manners (costs nothing to say please and thankyou, hold a door open etc)
    I pride myself on arriving somewhere early, so can’t understand why some always arrive late!
    Using mobile phones on public transport (unless for emergencies)
  • 66Mustang
    edited May 29
    People with an extreme opinion - on either side - who think people who don’t agree with them are automatically on the other side of the argument, and that no middle ground exists.

Could also be summed up as people with the opinion “if you’re not with me you’re against me”.

It seems you can’t sit on the fence these days, you have to pick a side!

As an example the assumption that if I disagree with the extreme left then I must be right wing. Or vice versa.
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Insincerity 

Bad service

Porky pies (rather tell the truth)

Scammers 

Jobsworth (not go extra mile)

Bicycles etc. on the pavement.

• Cressida
    Drivers who fail to indicate at a roundabout  :|
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,414

Scope community team

Excess packaging.

Being patronised, underestimated or not treated with mutual respect.

Hearing people chew and slurp  :s  

Being told what to do (disclaimer: unless in a work-related scenario!)

People ringing me up when I'm engrossed in a telly programme

I could go on..  :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,414

Scope community team

Excess packaging.

Being patronised, underestimated or not treated with mutual respect.

Hearing people chew and slurp  :s  

Being told what to do (disclaimer: unless in a work-related scenario!)

People ringing me up when I'm engrossed in a telly programme

I could go on..  :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,380 Pioneering
    For me it has to be a lack of respect, even if you don't always get along with people, they still should be shown respect, plus it makes you the better person. Hope that makes sense. Thank you. 
  • fluffycat
    edited June 1
    Potatoes always sprout later in week or next week. (Anya were sprouting though so small in first place)

Apple trick doesn't work.

Sweet Potatoes last longer though. 
  • 66Mustang
    WestHam06 said:
    For me it has to be a lack of respect, even if you don't always get along with people, they still should be shown respect, plus it makes you the better person. Hope that makes sense. Thank you. 
    I agree totally with this comment
  • 66Mustang
    Another one of mine is people who are rude when they see someone with something nice, for example a sports car or a nice watch.

I know of a few people with nice cars and they apparently attract negative comments from the public.

Why can't you own something nice without people being rude about it?
  • fluffycat
    Hot Weather !!!

(Especially when night time temps are !!!)
  • leeCal
    edited June 1
    The persistent coo coo of pigeons, what on Earth are they saying that needs repeating so often?! Grrrr 😡 (especially early morning cooing!)
  • woodbine
    we have wood pigeons that wear clogs and do an early morning jig on our roof  :#
  • fluffycat
    I feel like in countryside with wild parakeets squawking and feral pigeons evening co coo (or whatever they sound like)
  • leeCal
    @fluffycat said:
     I feel like in countryside with wild parakeets squawking 
    I went to Kew a couple of years ago and was amazed to see so many parakeets in the trees there, I had no idea they’d become naturalised like that. Mind you our winters haven’t been that severe for some years now I suppose. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    66Mustang said:

Why can't you own something nice without people being rude about it?
    Envy...  Which is something that really annoys me so appropriate for the thread lol.
  • DaddyBear
    DaddyBear Member Posts: 35 Connected
    People who make assumptions about me when they don't even know me or anything about me.
  • DaddyBear
    DaddyBear Member Posts: 35 Connected
    Oh and on buses being told " I don't look disabled " 
  • fluffycat
    leeCal said:
    @fluffycat said:
     I feel like in countryside with wild parakeets squawking 
    I went to Kew a couple of years ago and was amazed to see so many parakeets in the trees there, I had no idea they’d become naturalised like that. Mind you our winters haven’t been that severe for some years now I suppose. 
    Apparently they are tame in some parts and will hand feed from an apple in hand. (never tried)

I've hand fed Lorikeets at a theme park with nectar type juice. 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community Co-Production Group Posts: 1,523 Pioneering
    People who say. There's always someone worse off that you.
    Is it me? For it doesn't help in anyway.
  • leeCal
    Internet service providers who spend millions sponsoring tv programs and then write to me saying they have to put up their prices. 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community Co-Production Group Posts: 1,523 Pioneering
    Cyclists that use the road and not the cycle lanes. 
  • mayautbutterfly
    mayautbutterfly Member Posts: 2 Listener
    People mimicking me.
  • bonniebohemian
    bonniebohemian Member Posts: 13 Listener
    legal theft by the govt
    people who pull out in front of me and don't have the decency to put their foot down
  • chloeknight16071992
    chloeknight16071992 Member Posts: 176 Courageous
    You know what annoys me mostly? Is the thought of anyone being arrogant, extremely egotistical in their self-absorbed manner. I don't like narcissists. Repetitive routines and being interrupted. 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 4,912

Scope community team

Thanks for sharing @chloeknight16071992 :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Member Posts: 752 Pioneering
    Being taken for granted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.