I didn't mention my hospital stay to the DWP 2 years ago. What might happen if I tell them now? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I didn't mention my hospital stay to the DWP 2 years ago. What might happen if I tell them now?

Options
asmia
asmia Scope Member Posts: 12 Connected
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello every1!!!!! My name is asmia and I am disabled 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @asmia have you had a good week? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @asmia - welcome to this friendly community for disabled people, & thank you for joining. How are you doing? :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @asmia welcome and best wishes ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @asmia and a warm welcome to scope and our community, hope you are well and looking forward to the weekend?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @asmia

Welcome to the community, how are you?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • asmia
    Options
    Hello every1!!!! What a friendly community for disabled people!!!! I am very happy that I found a community that I can finally connect to!!!!!!! I would love if you can give me advice as I don’t know who to talk to and I am quite worried!! I would be grateful for any advice!!!!!!! Xxxx
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hello @asmia - if you let us know what's worrying you, perhaps we can help. Just ask any questions you like. :)
  • asmia
    Options
    Ok thank you…… in 2018 November unfortunately  I broke my right leg. I was at my local hospital where I had my operation as I’ve a metal rod. I was in hospital for a week and a half, my mind was completely blank and very confused at that time. I used to have physio every other day to regain my confidence as I lost all my confidence in walking.
    Then it was decided that I would transferred to a Rehabilitation centre, I was meant to stay for 3 weeks but ended there for 2 months where I used to have physio daily and that where I regained all my confidence.

I am worried about me not informing/reporting to the DWP. I am worried about my benefits may be stopped or reduced.

Please tell me what I should do as I am too scared to phone DWP as they might ask me too many questions and because I shake too much and I sweat as well due to my condition.

sorry if it’s a bit length xxxx
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Thank you for explaining a little. Please can you say which benefits you were receiving at the time?
  • asmia
    Options
    At that time I was receiving Dla and esa and now I am still receiving Dla and esa
  • chiarieds
    Options
    With DLA this should have been stopped after you had been in hospital for 28 days, but neither the day you're admitted nor discharged count as days in hospital. If stopped this would have started again after you left hospital. Please see: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Going-into-Hospital-and-benefits/Benefits-that-stop-being-paid-if-you-go-into-hospi    
    If your ESA was income related, this would reduce after 28 days (but wouldn't stop until 52 weeks). Contribution based ESA wouldn't have been affected.
    As I'm sure you now realise, you should have reported this change in your circumstances: https://www.gov.uk/report-benefits-change-circumstances    Benefit overpayments have therefore occurred: https://www.gov.uk/benefit-overpayments/when-repayments-have-to-be-made
    If you decide to rectify this, be assured you are not talking to the DWP, just a call handler. Here are the DLA contact numbers:  https://www.gov.uk/disability-benefits-helpline
    Your benefits will not stop, & arrangements would just be made to pay back from your benefits, so they would be reduced until this is paid. This might be the better option to stop you worrying further, & would be putting matters straight.
    I appreciate phoning isn't easy, but if you made notes beforehand as to what you want to say, crucially the dates of your hospital admission & discharge, you'll probably find it's easier than you thought, & you'll feel relieved when you know it can get sorted.
    Thank you so much for saying about your predicament, & I hope some of the above has helped. Good luck, & kindly let us know how you get on, thank you. :)
  • asmia
    Options
    I am scared I don’t know what to say, but it’s my fault that this didn’t come in my mind at that time and now it has. I don’t know what to do and what to do! I am scared that they might stop my benefits as it’s the benefits I am depending on
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Your benefits won't stop, just be reduced at a rate you can pay until the overpayment is sorted. This at least would then give you peace of mind. Please don't be scared; you're not the first person this has happened to. Thinking about ringing is worse than actually doing it so many of our members say when they need to ring with different questions.
  • asmia
    Options
    What do you mean by a reduced rate I can pay until a overpayment is sorted?? Can someone else phone on my behalf? How’s this happened to you before, or any1 u know?
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Any overpayment would be taken from your benefits; this would only be an amount you can afford to pay. This hasn't happened to me, but we have had several forum members receiving benefits overpayments. Someone else can ring for you, but you will likely be asked if you give your permission for them to speak on your behalf.
  • asmia
    Options
    Sorry if I am asking too many questions, it’s just that I am paying carer’s contribution and also my personal assistant, I don’t want them to take too much
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Nothing the matter with questions. :) They will work out for you what you can afford.
  • asmia
    Options
    Sorry to keep disturbing u with lots of questions, but I would like to know when my overpayments are sorted, will I be receiving my full dla?
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Certainly.....once the overpayments are repaid, your DLA will return to the normal full amount. Please don't worry about asking questions. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.