Hi, my name is Thedoc83! I have anxiety and depression, and struggle to break tasks down — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Thedoc83! I have anxiety and depression, and struggle to break tasks down

Options
Thedoc83
Thedoc83 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
I have hidden disabilities which are clinical anxiety and depression.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Thedoc83
    Welcome to the community, good to see you join us and thank you for telling us a bit about yourself.

Do you receive any support to manage your anxiety and depression, such as from a GP or therapist?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Thedoc83 - & welcome to this friendly online community. We have many members with hidden disabilities, including anxiety & depression, so I'm sure you'll find a lot of understanding in this supportive group. :)
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    I had therepy but I couldn't apply myself because I was so deep into my anxiety and depressive episodes. I am on medication. I have a mental health nurse but I just see myself as incapable of getting to grips with thongs and coping and dealing and doing and taking on things because I cannot take on or do too much 
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    I panic and don't see things logically and break things down 
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    I'll go e you an example..moving out...it.consits with alot of things and I don't know if I can do it or cope with it daily weekly etc 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Thedoc83 - as you've identified, sometimes all we can do is small steps, whether we have a physical or mental health problem, or both. My 'achievements' are small, & it can be do one thing in a day, then not another. So, just try small steps, not too much, just one small step at a time. It is logical to break things down, & not overwhelm ourselves in that there's too much that we can't consider getting through it. Small steps....
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community from me too 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Thedoc83 :) Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing anxiety and depression. You're right that it can be difficult to engage with talking therapy when you're in a dip, which is one reason why medication can be helpful for some people. You mentioned that you've been taking some medication, has that been helping at all? 

I know what you mean about finding it difficult to break tasks down, and therefore getting overwhelmed, as I experience this too. Is this something you've mentioned to your mental health nurse? Do you have any family or friends you could speak to to see if they could help you to break down tasks? Moving out is definitely a big one, so is there anything smaller you could use as practice in terms of breaking tasks down and taking small steps?

You're not incapable, it's just difficult for you right now due to your mental health. Try not to put yourself down over it, as it sounds as though you have a good awareness of what the problem is, and have been taking steps to try and improve your mental health :)

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into our category for discussions relating to mental health, and have tweaked the title of your post slightly to make it easier for others to find.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    I cannot imagine myself taking on doing everything dealing with everything coping with everything juggling Eveything for example work girlfriend kid house to look after and Eveything in between 
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    I haveskon conditions I have to manage aswell
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    I have skin conditions as well
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    The medication is helping but o don't want to rely on it 
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    The thought of everything coping dealing taking on doing and things that pop up you have to do overwhelms me and gets me anxious massively that I can't see myself improving my life 
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    Life is not made to be easy and I just can't see myself taking everything on and coping 
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    I dont think anyone gets it. I am brain wandering so much that I can't see myself doing and coping with things and it's not that I can't see and in the end I will cope and do things..I know myself I can't and I won't be able to 
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    I am struggling through bow and my.lifr is easy because I have my mum around and my brother if I have to as act on my own accord make decisions be independent I will be out of my depth 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @Thedoc83

Thanks for your replies.

It's quite common for things such as having children, working and having a partner to cause worry, especially when trying to juggle them all at once. I'm sure everybody reading this has found it challenging at one point in time. It can be important to do things in manageable chunks, and only take on more responsibility once you're ready. 

Of course, whether you do those things is completely up to you, and you should take your time to only do them when you are ready, and in little steps. I understand your concerns that you will feel out of your depth if you are left to make decisions on your own, and it's clear how much stress this is causing you at the minute. It is possible to become more independent while maintaining a supportive presence around you, and that support can be crucial in developing independence, so I'm glad that you have your family alongside you.

Aside from your family members, do you receive any other support to manage your conditions? Is your GP aware of how you feel at the minute?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    My GP is aware which is why I am ok medication
  • Thedoc83
    Options
    But even if I don't do all of those things I'll still need my own flat and to work and juggle things and do things and cope with things etc and even typing about it I feel anxious and out of my depth 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @Thedoc83

Thanks for your reply. Please ensure that you take care of your well-being, if typing about these things is causing you anxiety, it might be worth taking a break and relaxing, or maybe doing something you enjoy?

Have you ever considered referring yourself for a social care needs assessment through your local authority? In the event that you ever did live alone independently, you might be entitled to some level of care to help with things such as daily tasks.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.