Does size matter? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does size matter?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
OK that got your attention, and this thread isn't about what some of you might be thinking !  :)

Going back to the early days of TV screens were around 12", over the years they have grown and 55" even 65" screen TV's aren't uncommon.

And yet many of us are happy to watch films etc on our laptops with screens between 11" to 17" or even our mobile phones with even smaller screens.
I know that personally I watch a lot of stuff on my 13" Mac with no problems.

Your thoughts?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I thinnk, @woodbine, you've been taking lessons from @Tori_Scope about how to name a thread successfully enough to make people click out of enormous curiosity as to what they might find 

I think size is important but it depends what I'm watching. If it's something I've seen a million times then I don't really mind what device it is on, but if it's something new, or something that I love watching, then the big TV is preferred. Plus, the picutre quality is so much better on a TV than a laptop
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I have a small 23” tv but it’s fine, I don’t want anything bigger because I think they take over the room.

( and there was me thinking you were talking about pumpkins ?)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm very shortsighted so I love a big screen as I can now read the subtitles...
    I won't watch anything on a laptop, ipad or mobile.

And how very dare you @woodbine my first thought was cakes.. :D
  • Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
    Options
    @woodbine...If watching Footie...the big screen is hard to beat..
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Big screen dverhtime 55 inch TV 

Don't use devices to watch films buf that's due to my sight issues 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's me thinking you were going to talk about chocolate.  :D I  prefer the larger screen myself and have a 50" TV, although it's not on the wall so it does take up a fair amount of space but i can't imagine looking up to watch any TV. Definitely not a fan of watching anything on an ipad or my phone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pumpkins, cake and chocolate you lot have interesting minds  :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like to watch movies etc on our 57 inch  wall mounted tv screen, next one we get will be bigger, love the big screen
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Pumpkins, cake and chocolate you lot have interesting minds  :)

I was being a lady :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can't handle anything too big myself!  :#

Mines only 23" and getting on for 10 years old...tried to upgrade recently but found the larger screen just triggered my vertigo so stuck with the old one in the end. 

On the flip side, I can't watch anything on a small phone screen either though.  And I prefer a big laptop screen, 15.6" is a nice size for me.  So I guess it's all about personal preference, the appropriate size can vary depending on the context.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think 7 inches is about right. 

I am happy to watch things on an iPad Mini which has a 7 inch screen.

I also have just a 13 inch laptop. Used to have a 11 but Apple don’t do 11s anymore. 

I actually prefer a personal device to a TV as I am short sighted so I have to wear my glasses to see the TV. If I use a personal device I don’t need to wear my glasses.
  • Amalegra
    Amalegra Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Options
    I bought a 55” tv a few years ago to replace a 32” as I had difficulty with subtitles. I do prefer a smaller tv but with my poor eyesight it is impossible. Now I find it easier to watch my daughters 65” one so I might have to upgrade again as I do love my foreign subtitled films and sadly my eyesight seems to be going downhill once more. I will NOT be moving the 55” into my bedroom, though, as I did with the first change. Too big and ugly. Banishment to the spare room this time and at least my grandchildren will love it when they stay!
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I have a 43” TV. The layout of my room, the input for the Ariel, etc all impact where I can place the TV. I don’t think I’d fit much of a bigger TV into the corner to be honest. 

I do watch programmes on my laptop sometimes which is a 15.6” I think. 

Very rarely on my iPhone, sometimes a very short YouTube video. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.