I paid off my budgeting loan and asked if I could get another. Are there strict eligibility rules? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I paid off my budgeting loan and asked if I could get another. Are there strict eligibility rules?

idontlikeliving
idontlikeliving Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I paid off my budgeting loan, and I asked my work coach if I can apply for another one. A work coach msged back who isn’t my work coach and I really don’t like her, she gives off nasty vibes. Well she said you have to ring the UC so I did, a lovely girl said yes you can have one but our systems are updating so you can either ring back to finalise it or tell your work coach they can finalise it. (I’ve always found getting a budgeting loan easy because it’s always for things I needed badly) well I said what she said on my uc portal and she says back. You will have to ring uc again because they know your circumstances, and I will have to ask my manager if you can have it because of the very strict eligibility rules…. 

I’ve never know them to be very strict when it’s something I need. I’ve spoke to her a few times and she always puts a downer on things to me. Am I being too sensitive? 
I googled eligibility and far as Im aware I fit the criteria. But now she’s said that I’m scared and worried I won’t get one. UC really know how to scare people with mental illnesses.  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    A budgeting advance isn't guaranteed, it depends on the reasons why you want one. As this link says "you might" get one.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • idontlikeliving
    @poppy123456 I’ve already looked up if I might be eligible and i fit it. I took out a loan for a mattress, duvet. Clothing including a coat in January. 
  • poppy123456
    I realise that but it's not 100% guaranteed that you will get the loan, even if you've had one previously.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • idontlikeliving
    I got the advanced loan. I did my research to who was entitled and for what. I told the work coach online it’s says this and that and she said I will phone you back. And she said ok you can have the loan…. Which I’m happy about. One less thing to worry about 
  • idontlikeliving
    Google can be a life saver 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I think what Poppy was saying is even if you meet the eligibility criteria that can be found online through google that does not guarantee you the loan. 

I don’t believe you have been fully granted it yet. You say in the post above you need to ring back and finalise it. Until that is done nothing has been confirmed in my opinion. 
  • idontlikeliving
    @MarkN88 I’ve already got it. Got finalised and it’s been sent to me 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    That’s good then. 
  • poppy123456
    Glad it worked out good for you. My advice was correct though, some people are refused, even though they meet the criteria.

Just to also point out for others reading this. When claiming Universal Credit the loan you can apply for is called a Budgeting advance, not a budgeting loan. For this you usually apply by ringing the UC helpline.
    Budgeting loans are for those claiming the old legacy benefits such as Income Related ESA or Income Support. For this you apply online.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.