Has Anyone Had A Check Up At The Dentist Yet ? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Has Anyone Had A Check Up At The Dentist Yet ?

Teddybear12
Teddybear12 Member Posts: 782 Pioneering
I had a tooth out last Christmas as an emergency, but my first check up for two years is 11th October 2021.

Comments

• veriterc
    veriterc Member Posts: 212 Pioneering
    Had a check-up last week with my private dentist - living in the country it is almost as cheap as going on NHS as taxis to NHS dentist are so expensive! All that's changed is that fees have gone up - but service is still as good, and thank heavens painless!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,115

Scope community team

I haven't, but just wanted to wish you good luck with your appointment @Teddybear12 :) 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • veriterc
    It's weird living in depths of country.  Hospital transport will take us to all appointments EXCEPT Podiatry.  So a marvellous ex-NHS Podiatrist comes to our Village  Hall, and it works out cheaper to pay his fee rather than taxis to hospital podiatry!  
  • Teddybear12
    I have always lived in a town, but usually go to the country for holidays. You seem to have all your services sorted that's really good.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 2,016 Pioneering
    No but I need too go 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,356 Disability Gamechanger
    I was at the dentist last week for a check up (NHS) thats my 4th visit in 18 months and I'm back in December to see the hygienist.
    We live in a rural area but get either a bus or taxi into town.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,538 Disability Gamechanger
    Went last December. Glad I did as I got a years worth of toothpaste and my dentist has since gone awol. No prospect of an NHS dentist anywhere within 30 or 40 miles.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,621 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t have many luxuries or extravagances but £20 a month for private dental care I think is worth it. I get it so cheaply because I have good teeth so am less likely to make a claim; it does go up to £60 a month if you have bad teeth which I would not be able to afford. This £240 a year also pays for 2 checkups/cleans which is worth £180 by itself so basically I’m paying only £60 extra for insurance. This has proved well worth it as I fell a few years ago and broke my front teeth and it came to over £1000 to get them fixed which I didn’t have to pay. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,613 Disability Gamechanger
    I was only able to get to see a private dentist some 3 years ago; no NHS dentists available. I mustn't be too bad compared to @66Mustang as I pay just less than £25 a month, yet am just a tad older! Due to Covid-19 I was unable to see my dentist for well over a year, but, due to having a permanent brace already ordered, I got an appointment in April, & they kept to last year's costs........so only an additional £900!! Hmmm, well at least it's a permanent brace, & after that I get 4 checkups a year at no further cost....mouthwatering. :o
  • lillybelle
    lillybelle Member Posts: 571 Pioneering
    I do need to go and have done for a while. I know I need work doing. Trouble is I am terrified.
    the nerves in my gums are apparently wired differently and therefore take longer and harder to numb.
    im not the only one in my family with this problem either.
    it is very traumatic 
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Member Posts: 232 Pioneering
    I have not visited the dentist yet and still have the same problem as pre covid. The problem is which dentist is accessible. I have been to afew which when checking over the phone say they are accessible I find they are not. I am sick and tired now of having to go through this process I think I will give up and not get my teeth checked.
  • Tori_Scope

Scope community team

That's a tricky one @lillybelle. Have you tried speaking to the dentist beforehand about your worries, and any extra care they might need to take if work needs to be done?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Tori_Scope

Scope community team

Hi @littleacorn :) I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble finding an accessible dentist. In what way are they inaccessible to you, out of interest? 

• littleacorn
    The room was not very big making it difficult to navigate my powerchair around. The dentist chair was too high for me to manage to get on. I hurt my side whic took weeks to settle down. The door into the reception was stuck on the carpet and would not open fully and had to wait for someone to try and push it open. The dentists themselves were OK but I just dont think they understand what accessible really means.
  • veriterc
    Why not throw the problem back at the Administrators?  Contact Healthwatch and CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) locally, explain what you need, and ask them to give you a list of dentists in your area who are accessible for you.  If you can't get an aswer, what about asking if there is a school of dentistry at a local hospital?   
  • littleacorn
    I have passed the information on to Healthwatch but they never provided me with a list of accessible dentists in the area. There is a local dental hospital but dont knkw how to get a referal.
  • veriterc
    Just phone the Dental hospital and ask them how you get a referral.  It that fails, go to your MP - it sounds as if lack of dental care is something they should be addressing.
  • littleacorn
    I agree it should be addressed. I will contact them directly.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,613 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lillybelle - my problems may likely be dissimilar, but posting 'just in case'. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS), a genetic disorder, & long after I found local anaesthetics at the dentist just meant I felt everything/didn't work, I found difficulty with local anaesthesia was common with many of us with EDS.
    Having had a dentist who was willing to put me through procedures without local anaesthesia; a few seconds pain was better than supposedly getting numbed, & feeling everything, my penultimate dentist said they really had to ensure that I was numbed for a tooth extraction. I was very skeptical, & it took 20 mins to feel it might be working, but it did. The anaesthetic used was Articaine, which can be more successful than other local anaesthesia.
    I would suggest talking to your dentist about your difficulty in getting numbed. A visit prior to getting treatment may be worthwhile; they should listen to your difficulties, & discuss options.....there are ways forward I've found.
    4 weeks ago I had to have a biopsy done on the soft palate of my mouth. I mentioned the difficulties I'd previously had with local anaesthesia, & asked for Articaine; 4 injections later, & I hardly felt a thing.

• Sandy_123
    I rang mine today got appointment on Thursday morning eek
  • Teddybear12
  • littleacorn
    Just to give an update on my issues with going to the dentist. I decided that I would call in at the dentist I had had a problem with before covid and explain to them what had happened and why i felt I didnt want to come again. Yes that day I must have been feeling very brave! They could not have been more helpful.  They tried to get me in another room but I could not manage it in my wheelchair as it was very tight. They then took me into the room I had previously had treatment in and I explain what the dificulties were wkth getting on and off the chair. Together we solved the problem. I now have an apponitment to go back for my treatment. Sometimes as a disabled person we feel warn out having to challenge so many daily issues that we give up or become negative. It just proves that if we can remain possitive we can get things sorted out. I will have to remind myself when I feel like giving up again. 
  • Teddybear12
    edited October 12
    Hi @littleacorn How brave are you !!!  Well done.
  • Sandy_123
    @littleacorn well done now you'll be able to visit without difficulty 
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Member Posts: 252 Courageous
    I went to the dentist today. 3rd time since the pandemic started I injured a tooth a couple of weeks ago and missed my appointment  last week because I couldn't get any petrol for my car.now my tooth is loose. Tomorrow i will find out if it can be saved.i don't fancy having a gap in my teeth at my age.
    My dentist worked right through lockdown. They were amazing despite being as scared of the virus as everyone else. 
  • Teddybear12
    Hi @nannymaroon Good luck tomorrow. Hope your tooth can be saved.
  • Sandy_123
    I'm back in 2 weeks for 2 teeth to be removed. I must admit when I was there, I did wonder 🤔 why can a dentist work like this? Yet you can't see a Dr face to face both in ppi. 
  • Teddybear12
    Sorry that you have to have two teeth removed. Regarding doctors it does make you wonder. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.