Energy companies — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Energy companies

woodbine
woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,356 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 20 in Coffee lounge
As four of the Uk's smaller energy companies are expected to go bust this week, Bulb the 6th largest is urgently seeking funds to stay in business reports the BBC tonight, Bulb has 1.7 million customers, the smaller four have around 1 million between them.

Ofgem would step in to protect your supply/money if you were to be affected.
the wholesale price of gas has risen by 250% this year and electricity by around 150%.
I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 352 Pioneering
    Hi @woodbine

Thanks for helping to increase our awareness about the difficulties currently being experienced by the UK's smaller energy companies. You have certainly provided facts that I was not previously aware of  :) It sounds really tough for the smaller energy companies at the moment which is sad as they are usually the most personal providers. Hopefully, things will start to improve really soon! 
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • lemurlover
    lemurlover Member Posts: 14 Listener
    edited September 20
    Say yay to brexit.

@L_Volunteer It's us who will pay for it not the companies.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,257 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 20
    @lemurlover
    sky news reports 
    ‘Boris Johnson says issues facing energy companies and problems with supply chains are down to "the global economy coming back to life".’
  • lemurlover
    @leeCal Boris Johnson is a dishonest and incompetent buffoon.

This is evidenced by

a) UK energy prices now being the highest in Europe, compared to almost the lowest in 2017
    b) UK energy infrastructure being beyond dire and overreliant on gas for which we have no storage.
    c) We are hugeley reliant on gas due to the above, and our interlinks are trash.
    d) Our ETS is independent, so no wiggle room.

There are outside factors of course, but the main ones are tory incompetence and brexit.

As for the supply chain stuff.... it's far worse here than in the EU. It's not all brexit of course, stuff like semi shortages and the pandemic are definitely issues. But the fantasy that it hasn't made us far worse off, is just that, a fantasy.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,005

Scope community team

As a Bulb customer, I am hoping something can be resolved.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 1,836 Pioneering
    Just in case this might help people:

What happens if your energy supplier goes bust?

• Customers will still continue to receive gas or electricity even if the energy supplier goes bust. Ofgem will move your account to a new supplier but it may take a few weeks. Your new supplier should then contact you to explain what is happening with your account
    • While you wait to hear from your new supplier: check your current balance and - if possible - download any bills; take a photo of your meter reading
    • If you pay by direct debit, there is no need to cancel it straight away, Citizens Advice says. Wait until your new account is set up before you cancel it
    • If you are in credit, your money is protected and you'll be paid back. If you were in debt to the old supplier, you'll still have to pay the money back to your new supplier instead

• woodbine
    Say yay to brexit.

its got nothing whatsoever to do with brexit, its another "perfect storm"
  • lemurlover
    edited September 20
    @woodbine That's factually inaccurate. Interconnection and ETS costs are far higher, and that is purely because of Brexit. JIT gas storage has also been an issue, and pushed by this tory government. We are heavily reliant on gas yet store just 2% compared to the EU27 who store around 25%. Due to brexit we have no mechanism for covering shared capacity depletion.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    woodbine said:
    Say yay to brexit.

Some pleasant reading for you about current situation and Brexit!

Let us know what you think.
  • woodbine
    If i'm honest I couldn't care less  :(
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,538 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    Say yay to brexit.

I’d be interested to know what you do think is down to Brexit and Brexit alone. Currently your score stands at zero and everyone else can identify half a dozen things without even thinking absolutely it. We must be really stupid.
  • woodbine
    Mike, i have not suggested anyone is stupid, i refuse to play that game with you or anyone, my position on brexit is simple it's happened and we have to get on with it, blaming everything on brexit will not get anyone anywhere, there are a number of things that have lead to a massive surge in energy prices and a quick google will explain it to anyone who is interested.
  • mikehughescq
    So to be clear… is it that you accept that Brexit has screwed people over royally but see no value in acknowledging that in order to move forward or is or that you genuinely think it’s not an issue? Your posts consistently suggest it’s the latter but when queried you suggest it’s the former. 
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

While the subject of Brexit certainly could be argued as being a strand to this, I think it would be straying off-topic to delve into what people generally feel about it and it's consequences. The situation with the energy companies is quite a huge one in itself, and I imagine many people have been worried over the past day or so about what is going to happen. Whether you do or don't think Brexit is a factor is completely up to you of course, but lets try to keep the conversation focussed on the subject at hand which is the energy companies, rather than straying deeper into other subjects on the side which risks the thread going off-topic.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• mikehughescq
    Afraid I disagree @Ross_Scope. The two are inextricably linked. 

See https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en/knowledge/publications/de27d8b1/the-impact-of-brexit-on-the-energy-sector and

https://www.nationandstate.com/2021/01/08/brexit-creates-major-problem-for-uk-energy-companies/

I'd say it is actually impossible to have a discussion about energy companies in the context of recent events without acknowledging the massive impact of Brexit. I'm not interested in which way people voted etc. Couldn't care less. However, denying the link is the equivalent of saying "I wish to learn nothing from history" and as ever "history repeats itself. It has to as no-one ever listens."

Brexit is the biggest single factor in where we are now and constantly telling people they can't talk about it or it's not relevant really doesn't help people understand that. It's like voting for a dictator and having everyone decide that they won't tell you that you voted for someone who murdered thousands thanks to your vote because it might upset you. 

These last comments are not aimed at an individual but at the idea that Brexit cannot be discussed and cannot be responsible for anything at all.  
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

edited September 21
    I appreciate that @mikehughescq, and apologies if my post came across as though I was denying a link completely, I acknowledge that there is one there and have read plenty of stories on this over the past couple of days that have mentioned as much. I'm not familiar enough with the intricate details to comment further (nor do I consider myself to be wise enough on the subject :D ) so I would encourage people to read up on it if they are interested, see above links from Mike as examples.

Of course everyone is very much welcome to talk about Brexit and everything that comes with it, again I apologise if you felt as though I was suggesting that we shouldn't discuss it at all. My point was more that, while we can acknowledge it as a factor in this situation and provide links to relevant resources, we should be careful that the thread doesn't stray off topic and become a conversation focussed on it as was implied by your comments towards @woodbine

"So to be clear… is it that you accept that Brexit has screwed people over royally but see no value in acknowledging that in order to move forward or is or that you genuinely think it’s not an issue? Your posts consistently suggest it’s the latter but when queried you suggest it’s the former. "

I recognise it isn't your intention to deviate from the subject and that there is a link there between energy challenges and Brexit, however comments such as this risk veering towards debating attitudes towards Brexit rather than how it has impacted the current energy situation. As woodbine says too, there are other factors that have had an impact here aside from Brexit.

• woodbine
    I think I have made my position on Brexit crystal clear and this thread as @Ross_Scope rightly points out has gone off subject, I have had my say so will not be making any further comments.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,613 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 21
    I agree with @woodbine - my thoughts just prior to the EU referendum were that whatever happens, we just have to go with it. Yes, it's had implications, I don't think anyone doubts it, but Brexit has happened. IMHO however, whilst this thread may appear to have gone off topic (but I don't worry too much about that), & as you know read all the links you give, perhaps it would appear a tad confrontational to ask the OP about their stance on Brexit, i.e. rather than just give your comments/links relevant to the thread itself. As such you were addressing/questioning the OP rather than just commenting on the thread I feel.
    Surprised a member of the Scope team apologised.....
  • mikehughescq
    edited September 21
    I’m not sure asking a question should be deemed confrontational. If that were the case then the forum would surely not exist. 

My point was explicitly targeted to a post by @woodbine which contained an apparent contradiction and an interesting pattern whereby we have had repeated threads started on big current affairs events of concern and they are characterised as the sum of many factors but, when one of them is Brexit, and especially when it’s the main one, @woodbine doesn’t think we should discuss that at all.

It’s an odd stance to take and I was simply trying to establish whether it was because he’s in denial of Brexit as a main factor at all or it’s that it is but he struggles/doesn’t want to acknowledge/talk about that. 

My logic for that has already been explained. It is not to highlight a poster or some personal hypocrisy. It’s to highlight that the continued starting of threads - lorry drivers shortage, energy companies, CO2 crisis etc. - where Brexit is a clear and major factor, is utterly pointless if all that happens each time it comes up is a refusal or discuss that in the round. 

It’s like starting a thread on maths but insisting that we can’t discuss the division symbol because some people don’t like it, think it shouldn’t exist or isn’t really maths. I’m struggling to think of a bigger elephant in the room but we seem to have decided that anyone who mentions the elephant is being rude rather than simply trying to address the issue in the round. 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,613 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 22
    Asking a question isn't confrontational; most members join asking one. My point was just to say that comments/links can be given without querying a posters thoughts/beliefs .....whatever. It's not that Brexit cannot be discussed, rather than it can be without commenting about another person. @woodbine s beliefs don't matter any more than mine, but he has a right to start a discussion, as does any member. Other members such as yourself can contribute, & no one has an obligation to respond, do they, whether they appear contradictory or not? Discussions can occur without the OP commenting further surely, or without them being questioned too.
    I see you've added to your comment, & I at least don't think you're being the slightest bit rude, rather that Brexit can be mentioned as & when appropriate, but without the need to query another.
  • mikehughescq
    I don’t think his beliefs do matter any more than mine or anyone else’s. I do believe that if you post something unclear and apparently contradictory within the same thread, or in this case within the same post, then on a discussion forum people reading that should be able to ask for clarity, which is what I did.

I also believe that if someone has started repeatedly asking for the opinion of others on important and interesting issues then to repeatedly try to shut it down with “no, that’s not Brexit it’s just a perfect storm” suggests you either don’t really want that discussion or you are hopelessly confused/don’t really know what you want from starting the thread.

I find it interesting that the moment Brexit is mentioned people refuse to acknowledge it and get stuck into the poster who dared mention it. Yet if the issue had been caused by the pandemic then clearly not. My role means I’ve been especially impacted by both and had to work through the consequences of both in advance for sometime now across a massive range of issues. That sometimes means that things like this specific subject are things where I/we/my colleagues had long ago concluded this was coming explicitly because of Brexit and long before other factors made it worse.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.