They've stopped my money and assessor states different to what I told him. Can anyone help? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

They've stopped my money and assessor states different to what I told him. Can anyone help?

System Posts: 599

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is maggy!.


  • maggy
    maggy Member Posts: 27 Connected
    Hi can anyone help me with my pip they have stopped my money and assessor states different to what I told him
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,908 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 24
    maggy said:
    Hi can anyone help me with my pip they have stopped my money and assessor states different to what I told him

    You've asked your question on a thread that's over 2 years old and it could easiliy be missed.
    I looked at your previous threads and seen that you went to Tribunal last year. Thread here.
    Did you report a change of circumstances for your PIP and now you've been refused again?
    @Tori_Scope can you create a thread for this question please otherwise it's going to cause some confusion or be missed.

  • maggy
    maggy Member Posts: 27 Connected
    My first claim got refused I won at tribunal my health has worsened and someone rung me from pip they sent me a form qhange of circumstance the pandemic was on I had no one to help me fill it in I didn't send it back I got a call asking if I sent my claim form back I said no explaining he said just sign it and send it back the assessor will ask you tge questions on the form. So I did. My award with the tribunal ended in july and they stopped my money saying if its a tribunal award it can't be extended due to the pandemic. I've had tge assessment done and got tge report back and looks like he's gone off tge first claim form I sent not tge empty one. My health has deterioted and tge report has come back with a different answers I gave to him. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,908 Disability Gamechanger
    Sending back an empty form that's just been signed wouldn't have helped you. To the best of my knowledge the assessor doesn't have access to your previous claim, even if they did, you had to take that claim to Tribunal too. The fault often lies in a poorly completed claim pack.
    The assessment isn't there for them to write what you said verbatim. It's to gather more evidence to support your claim, they then write the report based on their opinion of everything, which includes your form, the evidence you sent and the assessment.
    They do mostly go with the report but it has been known for them to go against it.
    Once the decision's been made if you're not happy then you can request the MR.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,538 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 25
    The lessons that all should take from this are 

    - a worsening of your condition is not necessarily a change of circumstances so doesn’t necessarily have to be reported.
    - a worsening which would lead to extra points should be reported but will trigger a form. If you can’t fill in the form yourself and don’t have access to help then don’t report the change as a failure to return can trigger a stoppage.
    - sending a blank form in is fine. The phone call is the claim for PIP not the form. The PIP form is no more than an opportunity to add evidence. However, having sent in a blank form to ensure the challenge process goes ahead, you must then put in evidence before a decision is made else a DM had only the HCP report to go on. 
    - as @poppy123456 points out, the HCP is not there to repeat what you say. They are there to assess. The fact they draw a different conclusion to what you said is entirely legitimate and does not make them a liar, inaccurate etc.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.