Hi, my name is Sammie74! I'm due to get my first UC payment, I'm so confused — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Sammie74! I'm due to get my first UC payment, I'm so confused

Sammie74
Sammie74 Member Posts: 35 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I'm 19 and I'm due to get my first u/c payment I've just been given a to do list it's asking me if I've had any gap in my employment I've never worked I was at college so do I put no and then the last question I put no to see what happened it said I earned more than 542 and I put 0.00 in all the months the u/c people keep telling me to put no to the last question I'm so confused this isn't helping my mental health at all any advise 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,627 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Hi,

You answer yes because you've never worked before so there were gaps in your employement. The reason they are asking this is because of the benefit cap. If you're living at home with parents and have no dependent children your maximum UC entitlement will be £257.33 per month which is less than the benefit cap anyway, so it makes no difference.
    May i ask if you're a student still? do you have a health condition that limits your ability to work?
  • Sammie74
    I'm no longer a student anymore I put a claim in for universal credit for my mental health depression I've been sending fit notes in why are the people at u/c telling me to answer no to all the questions then when I do this it's asking me to put amounts the person I was talking to at u/c said just put 0.00 on everything but when I've done it says I earned more than 542 it so stressful I can't get a proper answer they just keep saying put no if I do put yes to the gaps it doesn't ask any questions but says I've had gaps in the last 12 months 
  • poppy123456
    The advice you've been given by DWP/UC is incorrect. You are correct, if you answer no then it will ask about your earnings. You've had no earnings because you've never worked so you answer "yes" there were gaps. You will have no further questions to answer once you put yes.
    As advised, the benefit cap won't make any difference to you anyway because your maximum UC entitlement will be less than the benefit cap.
  • Sammie74
    So there telling me to put the wrong thing down do any of them have a clue so when I put yes to the gap thing is that all I need to do won't they ask me anything or should I just explain in my journal that it's very confusing  I really don't understand why 2 people from u/c in my journal told me to put no to the last answer I'm going to do it Monday its stressful this especially when you get different answers 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    As previously advised, all you need to do is answer yes and there will be no further questions asked. You don't need to explain anything else on your journal.
    The same question was asked for my daughters UC and because she's never worked (she's 20) the simple answer was "yes"
  • Sammie74
    OK thankyou for this I've just had about 4 mental breakdowns my mum tried to help but she was as confused as I was so I feel a bit better it needs to be make clearer to understand like have you worked or not in last 12 months again thankyou 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome, glad i could help. You're not the only person that gets confused about this question and why it's asked.
  • Sammie74
    Did your daughter get paid as normal there apparently sending me a questionnaire for a wca too this will be my first u/c payment I've sent it 3 fit notes in so far is this normal practice 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,742

Scope community team

Hi @Sammie74

Welcome to the community, it's nice to meet you. 

Sorry to hear that UC is causing you a bit of stress at the minute, though it's understandable, it isn't always clear exactly how you should answer certain questions. I hope the replies above have been helpful

Just to let you know, I have moved your discussion over to our Universal Credit category.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    You also need to make sure you report your health condition, as well as continue to send in fit notes with no gaps until a decision's been made on your work capability assessment.
  • Sammie74
    Yeah my fit note runs out on the 17th which is a Sunday so it's gunna be a pain might ring my doctor before the date to try get one before my old one runs out  if they do this 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.