Can you ask for the assessor's report before DWP have made a decision? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Can you ask for the assessor's report before DWP have made a decision?

System
System Posts: 593

Scope community team

edited October 4 in PIP, DLA, and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: Finally had pip phone assessment!!!!.

Comments

• savrina
    savrina Member Posts: 9 Listener
    hi new to this and very nervous , i rung pip last week cause hadnt heard anything about assement , they gave me number to call ias , rung them and lady said i could have telephone assement the next day , had it and bloke said will send to dwp this morning , dwp got report next day , was going to ask for report but it says you cant until dwp make decision about pip , is this true . thanks sory about spelling .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,779 Disability Gamechanger
    savrina said:
    hi new to this and very nervous , i rung pip last week cause hadnt heard anything about assement , they gave me number to call ias , rung them and lady said i could have telephone assement the next day , had it and bloke said will send to dwp this morning , dwp got report next day , was going to ask for report but it says you cant until dwp make decision about pip , is this true . thanks sory about spelling .

HI,
    They will send the report before the decision is made but whether that's a good idea is another matter. It does tend to increase your anxiety levels more than they may already be, especially if the report isn't quite what you expected to read. If you still want a copy before the decison's been made then ring DWP again.
  • savrina
    thank you poppy , keep reading so much stuff you get confused , and its hard as i see a few peeps saying that mental health claims are harder , but first time applying and been on meds for 30 years just thought even with all my problems , cause i work you couldnt get pip 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,779 Disability Gamechanger
    savrina said:
    thank you poppy , keep reading so much stuff you get confused , and its hard as i see a few peeps saying that mental health claims are harder , but first time applying and been on meds for 30 years just thought even with all my problems , cause i work you couldnt get pip 

Being on medication doesn't automatically entitle you to PIP. People do work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming then this can go against you. Naturally on any internet forum you'll mostly only hear the bad stories. If someone's had a decision they're happy with, they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,996

Scope community team

Welcome to the community @savrina :) 

I just wanted to let you know that I've made your comments on the other post into a separate post in our PIP category. 

It can certainly get confusing when there's conflicting information out there, but I hope that poppy123456 has been able to clear that up for you. 

As has been said, it's more common to hear the bad stories online so try not to worry too much. It's definitely possible to get PIP awarded for reasons relating to your mental health. 

How do you feel your assessment went? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • savrina
    hi Tori scope , sorry for late reply ,think it went ok had a melt down through it lots of tears 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.