What Do You Remember ? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

What Do You Remember ?

Teddybear12
Teddybear12 Member Posts: 745 Pioneering
When I was a child my mother used to bake every week. She made buns (cup cakes) biscuits, cakes and scones. The best treat of all was when she made a pie and there was some pastry left over. She made fly cemetery. Pastry with currants and butter on top. We loved it.  

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,212 Disability Gamechanger
    I really liked bread and butter pudding and bread pudding when I was young. My mum would also peel apples and I would ask for the peel to munch on, yum, I love apples still. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,961 Pioneering
    My mom baked once a week too, Sunday. Cakes, fudge, toffee, bacon and egg pie. Loads of fairy cakes with coconut on. We never had processed foods. Well they weren't available, you couldn't go buy any ready made meals.  Everything was seasonal too. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,207 Disability Gamechanger
    My mum used to bake every Saturday cakes , buns , pies, biscuits bread 

In teenage years we got bread from a bakery and as a treat whoever went to the bakery got to choose a treat for us

All changed treat its a treat to have home baked cakes though I do bake quite often 

Mum made everything from scratch and even though she is 84 now still does most of the time 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,243 Disability Gamechanger
    My mum (bless her) was shocking at cooking but she could make a great trifle, I remember (vaguely) must have been around 1968 she ordered a turkey from the butcher for Christmas day, it was so big my dad had to chop the legs off to get it in the oven, after that we went out every year for Christmas dinner.
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Member Posts: 220 Courageous
    My mom made the best boozy Christmas cake. By now, mid October the fruit would've been soaking in rum and brandy for a month. The cake itself would be baked in mid December and dosed with extra rum being poured over it daily until Christmas day. It was very rich like a big Christmas pudding. One slice would put me to sleep for the day. I haven't tried making it myself but I've found something similar for sale online. But nothing could rival mum's recipe.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,243 Disability Gamechanger
    SM late mother made a similar Christmas cake, she also used to make a version where you boiled the fruit to make a cake which was also yummy.
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.