I'm no longer in a couple, so my UC claim is changing. Will this affect my LCWRA? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'm no longer in a couple, so my UC claim is changing. Will this affect my LCWRA?

System
System Posts: 644

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Is LCWRA on going?.

Comments

• debby24
    debby24 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Good morning everyone I was awarded lcwra a couple of months ago unfortunately my circumstances have changed and I'm no longer in a couple. I now need to claim universal credit as a single person . Will this effect my lcwra or will it just carry on being paid. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,358

Scope community team

Hi @debby24. When you change your claim to a single claim, it'll wipe all your past statements and journal entries so be sure to take copies if you want to keep any of these. 
    Your LCWRA won't be impacted and should carry over to your single claim. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • debby24
    debby24 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you that's good to know
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,778 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure about this but I think you should report the change through your existing UC journal and your (ex) partner should do the same. I think the one who reports first will have their existing claim revised to a single person claim and the other will have to reapply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,778 Disability Gamechanger
    Since my last post I have found the following which indicates that neither of you have to make a new claim.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/955780/adme2.pdf
    Joint claimants – couple split up

E2156 A joint claim couple will cease to be entitled to UC when they split up; however, each member of the couple will be entitled to a further award as a single claimant without the need to make a new claim. For each, the new assessment period will begin on the same date of each month as the assessment period for the old joint award.   UC Regs, reg 21(3)

Example
    Tom and Katie are entitled to UC as a couple. Their assessment period is the 3rd of the month to the 2nd of the following month. They cease to be a couple on 27th November when Katie moved out. Tom rings up to notify DWP of this on the 27th. The DM terminates the award of UC from the first day of the assessment period in which this change occurs – namely the 3rd of November, Neither Tom nor Katie have to make a new claim to UC and they are each awarded UC as single claimants from 3rd November.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.