Facebook — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Facebook

woodbine
woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,632 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 18 in Coffee lounge
Please don't divulge your facebook user I.D but what groups on facebook are you finding useful at the moment, as well as a few political groups and local history i'm finding the following useful and interesting.

1) skint dad
2) reduce your supermarket spend

and
3) not on Amazon
I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.

Comments

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,797 Disability Gamechanger
    Have never used Facebook.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,821 Disability Gamechanger
    I only really join the local selling group 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Member Posts: 1,646 Pioneering
    I have never, or felt the need to use face book.
  • Cress
    Cress Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
    Never used Facebook, twitter etc.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,772 Disability Gamechanger
    Wow, I thought I would have been in the minority having never used any social media sites! Seems not so far!
  • mikehughescq
    Good to see so few use the pernicious nasty intrusive place. 
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Member Posts: 85 Courageous
    I am only on the Facebook group for PIP. No idea Why people use Facebook to post 3 million pictures of their pets , children, even pictures of their dinner. 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,416

Scope community team

I find the groups for my local area helpful, and those for local events organisers so I can keep up to date with new announcements of things going on in the region.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    Question Mike, if you in your own words have never used it, how would you know this?
    FB is only as intrusive as you allow it to be, and many of the FB groups i'm on are in essence little different to a forum like this, and in an admin way are usually well run.
    In the second quarter of 2021 FB had 2.89 billion active users worldwide.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,720 Disability Gamechanger
    I have FB but rarely use it. I just don't see why people like posting their whole life on it, makes me laugh sometimes. I once joined a PIP group and was so appalled at the advice people were giving, i promptly left. My advice about FB benefit groups is to not believe anything you read and the best thing to do with these, is leave.
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Facebook xan be help full my partners miter bike got stolen last night and it's been shared all across swansea and when people go missing and the market place where you can find property to rent buy houses buy cars and lots of other things stay in touch with family and friends  there is alot with Facebook  there are millions of people across the world on Facebook  scope have things on Facebook I think its fab 
  • mikehughescq
    edited October 19
    woodbine said:
    Question Mike, if you in your own words have never used it, how would you know this?
    FB is only as intrusive as you allow it to be, and many of the FB groups i'm on are in essence little different to a forum like this, and in an admin way are usually well run.
    In the second quarter of 2021 FB had 2.89 billion active users worldwide.
    I have never had a personal account and never will. I managed a work-related account for a relatively small number of years and, ultimately, could see no justification for continuing as social media pushes even people you know in the real world to extreme positions and removes nuance. 

However, you are 100% incorrect to say that Facebook is "... only as intrusive as you allow it to be.". I don't even know where to start with a statement like that. It terrifies me that people simply don't know the basics. 

On this site there is a button which connects you to Facebook for every thread. That button allows Facebook to collect the fact that you have visited this site and then track you across every other site you visit on the internet. You do not have to have a Facebook account for it to do that.

That data is sold to organisations who will also be buying so called anonymous data about devices run from your address. It's not rocket science to link the two via MAC addresses; time online; location. Add in the stupidly personal things people ask each other to disclose in places like this (like where you bank; where you studied etc.) and you have the basis for everything from stalking to fraud. You just need one site where you put in your card details and forgot to logout or forgot to clear your browser cache and away you go. So yeah, what was that about intrusiveness? 

Ever wondered why adverts pop up on sites for things you have viewed or bought elsewhere? Yeah, them again. 

That, at it's most fundamental, is the start of why Facebook is evil. Like all social media it can obviously have a positive side but you'll do well to find any articles written about that in the past five years given the weight of evidence against Facebook as a tool for good.

It also owns WhatsApp and Instagram and immediately broke its commitments as regards the former and not sharing data between the two platforms. 

It's UI is awful. It's accessibility is awful. It's security for the data you choose to give it as an account holder is poor. It's regular changes to security settings are inappropriate for all bar the most IT literate users and so vulnerable users are left even more so. It's contributions to conflict and suppression are so well documented I need hardly go on. However, given that you seemed oblivious to that first fundamental point one does wonder just how little people understand the invasiveness. cazza6565 said:
    I am only on the Facebook group for PIP. No idea Why people use Facebook to post 3 million pictures of their pets , children, even pictures of their dinner. 
    I think this is a really good example of another phenomenon. I cannot think of a single worse place to go for benefits advice than Facebook. It is like the wild west. If you pretty much want to find the origin of any post on here claiming HCPs get paid for failing people etc. then those groups are where you start. Indeed one of the triggers for my seeking permission to shut the work-related account was reading the Facebook posts on DLA and PIP which were allowed to stand wholly unchallenged on a group relating to one of my health conditions run by a national charity. It beggars belief really. 

Any last vestiges of trust regarding Facebook should have gone two weeks ago when they had their 6 hour outage. What a huge reveal that was. Basic IT 101. You spread risk. So, if you're running a platform as big as Facebook then you do not want all your servers in one location or running everything. All a bit embarrassing for the world to discover in consequence of the outage that Facebook runs all its own servers and runs everything from them. Thus the (really not very funny) sight of Facebook staff unable to get into the building to fix the outage because their passes no longer worked as they were verified by the same servers which had gone down. Rookie error or sheer arrogant stupidity? You decide. 

Anything else you want to know?  :)
  • woodbine
    What I do know is that you can't uninvent the wheel, social media in all its forms has been with us for quite some time now and is here to stay, agreed it's not perfect but most things in life are far from perfect.

I'm almost sorry I started this thread now because what happens all too often is that they get ambushed by the naysayers, shame really.

Any site I visit can link me to where ever they want I have nothing whatsoever to hide.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,416

Scope community team

edited October 19
    However, you are 100% incorrect to say that Facebook is "... only as intrusive as you allow it to be.". I don't even know where to start with a statement like that. It terrifies me that people simply don't know the basics. 

I agree with and understand what you go on to explain in your post, the way Facebook (and many other social media platforms might I add) access and use our data is somewhat unsettling, but I wouldn't really describe it as the basics personally because to many people the way those things work are far from basic.

Of course, some of Facebook's conduct is public knowledge due to the way it has been covered in the media but I think that other parts are the sort of things you would only know by seeking out that information , finding it out through your profession or other things like that.

I do see the point that @woodbine makes too though about Facebook only being as intrusive as you allow it to be. As users, we have access to a range of privacy settings that we don't always have reason to doubt the functionality of, from hiding profile information to limiting what data Facebook can collect. They could absolutely do more, and I have no hesitation in being sceptical about them given some of the things they've done recently with data, but I guess it all comes back to personal preference at the end of the day. I totally get why you wouldn't want to use it and I rarely use it myself these days, but I also understand that others might be comfortable with the data Facebook collects about them, and the privacy options they do have.

I second what you went  on to say about the accessibility though, it's dreadful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • mikehughescq
    edited October 19
    woodbine said:
    What I do know is that you can't uninvent the wheel, social media in all its forms has been with us for quite some time now and is here to stay, agreed it's not perfect but most things in life are far from perfect.

I'm almost sorry I started this thread now because what happens all too often is that they get ambushed by the naysayers, shame really.

Any site I visit can link me to where ever they want I have nothing whatsoever to hide.
    The push internationally is for regulation. The large social media companies are scared of this for many reasons. Some of them better than others. There are two things we know for certain. One is that nothing is forever and regulation for Facebook is likely to be the start of a long slow death knell. The other is that when it comes to social media people swarm. So, people started with Friends Reunited and MySpace. They swarmed to Facebook and then onto Twitter. Then it was Snapchat and now it is Instagram and WhatsApp. This time next year it will likely be something else but the monopolistic nature of those last two and their relationship with Facebook should again really give people pause for thought. 

My point is that whilst you can't control the swarm you absolutely can control where they swarm to or think of where you swarm to and what you post. Governments are finally waking up to just how serious the consequences are if you don't. Individuals really aren't. Thus why I posted the Facebook like button comment. People really need to understand that you simply have to be on a site with those on and your data is being harvested. Yes @Ross_Scope Facebook itself allows a degree of control of what other people can see but that misunderstands the wider point. A site like this which connects unhesitatingly to Facebook in effect gives away far more even if you have never had or have a Facebook account. I wonder if people understand, for example, that this is why I never like or love a post on this site. Who do think powers that button? Where do you think the data goes? Yes, that's right. Them again. 

I'm genuinely sorry you think of people as "naysayers" @woodbine. I'm sure your thread was started with the best of intentions and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to feel ambushed. However, I do struggle considerably with the idea that the outcome of such a post could not have been predicted. Last time I looked the weight of positive to negative in terms of publicity about Facebook I think the latter so comprehensively outran the former that it wasn't even up for debate. 

I'd like to think that instead of being seen as some kind of naysayer it would be recognised that giving people irrefutable facts can only in the long run be a positive thing. There are vulnerable people on this site and the idea that, for example, people could not think through the potential consequences of posting who you bank with (quite literally one of five pieces of information security experts say you should never post online) is terrifying. The fact that people were happily posting away until I said something is deeply worrying. 

Your last statement is concerning. This really isn't about having nothing to hide or being big and brave and upstanding in front of "the man" or "the state" or whoever. This is about data being put together which you think is anonymous and yet which can literally be used to change your life for the worse. I have never posted my precise location on here or indeed anywhere. I turn location services off for all apps and all devices at all times bar one app when in use. Nevertheless a poster was able to come on here and post a newspaper article suggesting that I was a convicted paedophile. They had my name correct. They were within 15 miles of my location. And I am careful. Granted that looks at first like an extreme example and yet it really isn't. This sort of stuff is happening every day. How do we think anti-vaxxers are turning up outside the homes of scientists? It's not through using a phone directory. 

I know at least 3 people who have been robbed when they were away because of things they have posted online being combined with ease. That included places they walked with their pets being identifiable; how much they were looking forward to holidaying at x and so on. 

I have no idea whether you have anything to hide or not but that is so not the point.  
  • woodbine
    OK I have one more comment then I give up, social media has for many people over time and especially during these difficult time been a lifeline, I know it certainly has been for me.
    And personally I don't care if social media harvest my information.

• mikehughescq
    I’d say Zoom and FaceTime rather than social media but whatever. 

One day @woodbine you will care very much about the data you have given away. Nothing comes without a price. The thing with social media is to understand that it isn’t a product. You are. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 2,191 Pioneering
    I do have Facebook, I don't use it like I used to anymore, mainly say happy birthday etc. Have a snoop as people put every movement on there they do, tagging in every location. I like twitter at the moment, can follow people of interest.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 11,025 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry that the Scope team tend to bend over backwards seeing both sides; should perhaps be the case ordinarily, but not always. Facebook is not innocuous, as Mike has been at pains to say....why would he be commenting if not to help|?
    Both Mike & myself believe the post was started innocently, & he's not trying to be a 'naysayer,' just say be aware if using Facebook.....we need to know about privacy issues, & be concerned about them.
    My daughter has long disconcerted me in posting pictures of her children, & saying she was going to visit me on xxxx date; amazing there have been no repercussions tbh.
    Please don't think I always agree with Mike, as I don't, & have in fact commented on another thread this evening; do I believe him the vast majority of the time (& I always look into the links he gives), absolutely? This is no exception.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    I find facebook groups to do with certain health conditions very useful. I'm a member of a Mitochondrial group and I started the Ataxia UK branch for my county on there too. These groups have helped me connect with others in a similar situation, and learn more about the conditions I have.

I'm a member of several blogging groups and I find these resourceful and again, enjoy connecting with other bloggers.

Facebook, well the messenger part, was a lifeline for me when I was in ICU/on a ward/then rehab. I think my mental health would have been severely impacted had I not been able to talk to family or friends during those 9 months.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.