Tesco online shop. — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Tesco online shop.

woodbine
woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,675 Disability Gamechanger
Do any of your shop online or use the Tesco app? Both have now been down for around 30 hours, we started an online order on Friday but when I went back to add items the site is down, apparently it's been hacked.
You might have thought that a retailer that makes as much profit as Tesco would be better protected from hackers??
I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,348 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m not sure that any site is safe from hackers these days, it’s a worry especially if they hold credit card data etc. ☹️

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist...as if you didn't know.

• woodbine
    luckily all they hold from me is my email and password i put my address and cc details in each time I use them. But you're right it's a worry.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 2,205 Pioneering
    They've probably got people working on it to get it back up and running
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,914 Disability Gamechanger
    If it's anything like another major food retailer I worked for they will only have skeleton IT staff working over the weekend 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Member Posts: 85 Courageous
    The website and the app are both still down dye to the hacking issue. No financial data at risk they say. Stolen passwords used to try and access Clubcard accounts
  • woodbine
    maybe the hackers will give me a million clubcard points on their way out ?   :)
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,842 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    luckily all they hold from me is my email and password i put my address and cc details in each time I use them. But you're right it's a worry.
    Unless you have refused to accept cookies from them, which would make it very hard to shop there, you will have disclosed your email address, password, browser, the device you’re browsing on, your card details, location and your ISP even if the Tesco site itself doesn’t appear to you to have retained them. 

Easy enough for hackers to grab the server cookie data and check against other stolen, sold or public data to see if your email address, password or card details have ever popped up anywhere else on the internet. If they’re serious they then use the data to test the security of the device you used to access the Tesco site. Mostly they; just sell the data and you either get identity or card fraud or your own anonymity on the net is further compromised. 

All done by automated scripts nowadays so we’re talking seconds or minutes rather than months. If Julie has used the same device and browser to look at sites or buy something then they’ll have that data too especially if she also accepted cookies and not cleared the browser cache etc. They certainly have enough if she accessed the same site from a different device. Easy enough them to check against places like here where you’ve given us both your dates of births. If they wanted to be go the extra mile there is much they can do from there. 

Regardless of what Tesco now say you need to, at minimum, change your passwords and clear all your browser data. 
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Member Posts: 4,735 Disability Gamechanger
    Most sites get hacked even scope nothing is safe anymore thete is only so much you can do llyods bank was hacked not long ago 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.