What's the best evidence to provide regarding proveing the discriptors? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What's the best evidence to provide regarding proveing the discriptors?

System
System Posts: 635

Scope community team

edited November 6 in PIP, DLA, and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: 0 points on pip assessment any point in a mr?.

Comments

• Taz4u
    Taz4u Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited October 27
    Hi Poppy123456 i wanted ask you what is the best evidence to provide regarding proveing the discriptors apply, im currently getting help with mental health problems, i previously got 6 points and didnt contest further, i miss understood few of the discriptors for instance bathing and bathng, i assumed that only applied if somebody had to wash you physically, and communicating verbally i assumed this applied to speech disorder
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,839 Disability Gamechanger
    @Taz4u HI, it would have been better to start a new thread rather than post your question on someone else's, as this does cause confusion.
    May i ask when was the decision made on that claim? If it was within the past 13 months then you can still request the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) Starting a new claim using the same evidence you previously used will likely seen another refusal.
    Evidence should state exactly how your conditions affect you. Medical evidence rarely states this and usually only states the basics such as diagnosis, medication, appointments etc etc.
    When filling out the form you should give a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. Anecdotal evidence is the best you can send.
    Washing and bathing doesn't only apply to those that need to be physically washed. There are other descriptors in this activity too such as needing prompting, using an aid etc etc.  PIP is awarded based on the help you need, you don't need to be receiving any help.
    Communicating verbally doesn't just apply to those with a speech disorder.
    Have a read of this. https://pipinfo.net/#activities
    You may want to get some expert advice before doing anything else to check that you qualify because not everyone qualifies. Start here https://advicelocal.uk/

• Taz4u
    Taz4u Member Posts: 2 Listener
    My question is unless you have record stuff or have independed witnesses their no actual way of proving, one of the incident i nearly resulted in a car crash unless i was hit in any case i would have been severly injuired or worse case scenario dead, i had a hospital appointment due to the fact the actual ward was at a different place i was struggling to follow instructions which lead me to cross main roads without thinking straight, one of the issues i have going unfamilar places as i get my family to take to  take me appointments i spent 30 minutes looking for the actual building and at that time couldnt tell the difference between left and right, its all good documenting it down but unless something actual happened and i had witnesses to prove its all waffle 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,842 Disability Gamechanger
    The burden of proof in social security is not the criminal one of “beyond reasonable doubt”. It’s just the balance of probabilities. Thus you don’t need witnesses or “proof”. You just need credible, consistent and detailed examples. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.