My daughter claims UC. If she claimed carers benefit for helping me, would she lose anything? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My daughter claims UC. If she claimed carers benefit for helping me, would she lose anything?

System
System Posts: 635

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Disability benefits without the fight.

Comments

• Colin123
    Colin123 Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    If my daughter whom is working and gets a small amount of UC as she has a small child, If she was to claim carers benefit for helping me, will she lose anything and is it taken of me and given to her ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,839 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 29
    Colin123 said:
    If my daughter whom is working and gets a small amount of UC as she has a small child, If she was to claim carers benefit for helping me, will she lose anything and is it taken of me and given to her ?

That will depend what benefits exactly you're claiming. You must be claiming either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance for someone to claim either carers Allowance or Carers element of UC for looking after you.
    If you're claiming the Severe Disability Premium in with another benefit then this would stop if your daughter claims either of those benefits for looking after you.
  • Colin123
    I receive daily Living and enhanced Mobility , ESA with two component's not sure of the Severe Disability Premium, does this help 
  • Colin123
    I do also get the Severe Disability Premium,
  • poppy123456
    edited October 29
    If you are living alone or all the adults that you live with are claiming one of the disability benefits mentioned above or they are registered blind then you are entitled to the SDP, providing your ESA is not New style ESA. (unless you're already claiming it) You would loose the SDP if your daughter claimed either Carers Allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you.
  • poppy123456
    You commented on another thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/84614/disability-benefits-without-the-fight#latest that your ESA includes the Severe disability premium. Therefore this advice is correct here..
    You would loose the SDP if your daughter claimed either Carers Allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you.

• System
    System Posts: 635

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Disability benefits without the fight.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.