The Queen — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

The Queen

woodbine
woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,595 Disability Gamechanger
All the news agencies are reporting tonight that HM The Queen has been advised to rest for another two weeks having been in hospital last week overnight, it is thought that she may miss the remembrance day services next month.
I suppose at the age of 95 and having lost her husband this year we can only expect that she is not at her best, but the question is how worried should we be?
I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Member Posts: 999 Pioneering

I've got 99 worries but the Queen ain't one... :)

She should take it easy...let the others take the strain.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,377

Scope community team

Hopefully she makes a full recovery :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,313 Disability Gamechanger
    The Queen is made of strong stuff but still at 95 she’s got to take it easy. Here’s hoping for a speedy return to duties.

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.

(Steven Wright)

• lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Member Posts: 4,693 Disability Gamechanger
    It's about time she abdicated and handed the reigns over 
  • woodbine
    I would agree but she will never do that, a number of European monarchs have "retired" at 70.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    She would never abdicate as she promised to dedicate her whole life, I hope she still has some years left in her as not looking forward to prince charles becoming king.
  • woodbine
    I always hoped that Charles would have the sense to skip a generation and allow William to become King, otherwise it's possible we will be lumbered with older ones for years to come.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,730 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree Charles will be too old and it would be far better for William to take the title , he is old enough to have spent time growing his own family and then at least we would have a king and a queen 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Member Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Personally after the Queen I would be happy for the Royal family to finish as far as us subsidising them. The thought of Charles and Camilla fills me with horror.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 2,180 Pioneering
    I agree, at 95 you can't expect the Queen to be running around all over the place. lisathomas50 said:

I disagree shes part of a monarchy that stays on throne till death. She should just go slower. Get the younger ones to take over alot of her appointments. 
    I also don't agree the royals should finish. They've been part of our history for many years  and actually fetch a lot of revenue in. 
    Can't see Charles stepping down  either.

• woodbine
    Personally after the Queen I would be happy for the Royal family to finish as far as us subsidising them. The thought of Charles and Camilla fills me with horror.
    The royal family bring in far more money than they cost us, in normal times that is, as well as paying tax. I would much rather have a monarchy than e.g President Blair or Cameron, a monarchy stands for stability as opposed to presidential elections every 4 years and all the expense that would entail.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,775 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 30
    Been trying hard not to comment as it’s like shooting fish in a barrel but come on. Be serious now. 

The myth that the monarchy bring in more than they cost was finally debunked in 2017 by a hugely detailed analysis provoked by a company called Brand Finance who repeated the claim made here only more so i.e. they claimed the gain was even bigger than estimated. They then hilariously found themselves subject to a level of scrutiny they clearly weren’t expecting and so finally a very public analysis was done involving a level of detail which was definitive. So, we have known for 4 years that actually the monarchy absolutely does not pay for itself via tourism or indeed much else. How easily we blank these things out. 

Now let’s throw in a pandemic and remind ourselves of all those people who saw their careers in the tourism industry ended and the absolute outrage at those multi million pound businesses whose staff took pay cuts or used furlough whilst their CEOs just carried on… and then let’s look at the royal family. Not a lot of incoming tourists since March 2019. They feel our pain but weirdly they didn’t offer to take that empathetic pay cut. 

As regards monarchies standing for stability? Well that’s a little bit of confused thinking. Monarchies are not elected and thus tend to be less volatile. However, history shows that monarchies most certainly don’t equate to stability. There are too many obvious examples of where self-preservation saw monarchies support dictatorships; fascists and coups for that to be even a tiny bit true.

Far from it being admirable that a 95 year old is taking a couple of weeks off from working, the better question might be to ask whether she won’t be claiming her obscene income during that period. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,313 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 31
    As a matter of interest how does the Queens income compare to say Ronaldo’s at Man U? Anybody know?

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.

(Steven Wright)

• mikehughescq
    She as an individual has a salary just under that of Ronaldo. By the time you add in image rights for both the figures are harder to compare and largely meaningless.

Not sure why a comparison is relevant. Putting aside that both figures are obscene there is no perception that taxpayers are funding him. 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I for one love the Queen, and what she does for the country. I don't think anyone in history has worked as hard as she has, and I think she is an essential asset. I would hate to see the country not have a monarch and turn into a presidential country I think what it is to be english is to have a King or Queen. I think cost aside they are priceless and essential in my opinion.

I'm just not looking forward to Charles being King, I also want and hope he gives it to Prince William when the time comes. But saying that I hope the Queen still has some years left in her and wish her well.
  • Cress

I'd be more then happy to retire them all...European royalty cost a hell of a lot less...dunno why ours have to be so costly.

I've heard said that once the Queen goes people will be less keen to have a royal family...be great to have a vote...can't see it ever happening.
  • Cress
    rubin16 said:
    I for one love the Queen, and what she does for the country. I don't think anyone in history has worked as hard as she has, and I think she is an essential asset. I would hate to see the country not have a monarch and turn into a presidential country I think what it is to be english is to have a King or Queen. I think cost aside they are priceless and essential in my opinion.

I'm just not looking forward to Charles being King, I also want and hope he gives it to Prince William when the time comes. But saying that I hope the Queen still has some years left in her and wish her well.
    Spanish get a royal family for 7 million a year...I'd be happy to keep ours if that were the cost.

• mikehughescq
    rubin16 said:
    I don't think anyone in history has worked as hard as she has
    I’m not especially anti-royalist. I just wish we’d treat them as the minor entertaining anachronism they are rather than something we delusionally fund. It’s a sorry state of affairs how few people appreciate, for example, the extent to which we will be funding the legal costs of Prince Andrew via his subs from the Queen. However, assertions like above make my blood boil. Being transported around the world at our expense in order to shake hands; eat and watch stuff doesn’t meet any definition of work I’ve ever come across. 
  • Cress
    leeCal said:
    As a matter of interest how does the Queens income compare to say Ronaldo’s at Man U? Anybody know?
    You think she might be up for a career change? :D
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,377

Scope community team

Cress said:
    leeCal said:
    You think she might be up for a career change? :D
    I think she'd probably get through the same amount of pressing as Ronaldo does in a game.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.