Severe disability premium eligibility — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Severe disability premium eligibility

Laineypops
Laineypops Member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi does anyone know what the eligibility is for getting the severe disability premium if sharing a flat with a flat mate? I’ve just been told I may have been eligible for this and have never got it.  I share a flat with someone in a joint tenancy, they are not a relative or partner. They work and receive no benefits. We have our own bedrooms, the flat has two bathrooms (mine is off my bedroom), we share a kitchen and living room. We are both responsible for our own rent, I pay my half of the rent into flat mates account as requested by the letting agent. 
I am also In receipt of DLA middle rate care.
🙂

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,344 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 1
    You have to be
    • receiving Daily Living part of PIP, middle or higher rate care component of DLA or Attendance Allowance
    • be a single adult (or any other adults who are part of your household must also get one of the above benefits)
    • nobody must get carer's Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after.
    From what you have posted you do meet the above criteria because the person you share with is not part of your household.

Obviously you also need to be in receipt of a means tested benefit capable of having the SDP added to it. If you are, contact that benefit department and ask for them to add it. They should backdate it to whenever you first met the qualifying conditions.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Laineypops
    Thanks for your help. I am in receipt of income related ESA support group
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,344 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for your help. I am in receipt of income related ESA support group
    Contact them. It should be a straightforward phone call (once you get through).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Laineypops
    I certainly will, thanks 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    You may be asked to supply evidence that you are not in a relationship with your flat mate.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,720 Disability Gamechanger
    TheAlien said:
    You may be asked to supply evidence that you are not in a relationship with your flat mate.

If the OP is claiming ESA as a single person then i see no reason why they would question a relationship now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.