Christmas Ads — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Christmas Ads

Teddybear12
Teddybear12 Member Posts: 1,474 Pioneering
edited November 6 in Coffee lounge
John Lewis and Marks & Spencer have released there Christmas ads. No doubt the rest will follow.  Do they influence where you shop and what you buy? 

Comments

• lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Member Posts: 4,735 Disability Gamechanger
    I just like watching the Xmas adverts doesn't make me think I should buy fom one of them 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,914 Disability Gamechanger
    It doesn't really influence me but in general people tend to upgrade their food shopping to more luxury market 

@Teddybear12 you have posted this in the work and employment section it may be better in the coffee lounge 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • Teddybear12
    Hi @janer1967 It was meant to be coffee lounge do not know how I put in work and employment. How do I change it?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,914 Disability Gamechanger
    Admin will move it for you if you ask them to 

A new discussion will go into the section you are in at that time so if you want to post in coffee lounge make sure you are in that section when you use the new discussion button 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,839 Disability Gamechanger
    It doesn't influence me either but i do sometimes have a look in M&S when doing Xmas shopping. I've just bought myself a coat from there for the first time.
    You can't move a thread yourself but admin can. @Ross_Scope @Adrian_Scope this thread maybe better in the coffee lounge?
  • Teddybear12
    Hi @Ross_Scope Could you please move this post from work & employment to coffee lounge. Thank you.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,686

Scope community team

I've moved your post into the coffee lounge for you now @Teddybear12 :smile: 

I don't find that Christmas ads massively influence my shopping habits, though I do enjoy looking to see whether any of the shops have any fun Christmas foods I'd like to try.

I haven't watched the John Lewis ad yet. What did you think of it?
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Teddybear12
    Hi @Tori_Scope Thank you. I did not think the John Lewis ad was one of there best.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,348 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 6
    I think that given a choice of seemingly similar products people tend to go for brands they have heard of or are familiar with, this is one reason why adverts on tv etc work, they familiarise you with a product and brand name which later you will recognise above others. 

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist...as if you didn't know.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 2,023 Pioneering
    They don’t influence me. I shop where I need to shop factoring in where I get the best deal and where I can get what I like. I pay no attention to adverts really, I’m often off making a cup of tea, browsing on my phone or at the toilet when an advert kicks in. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,787 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal interesting you say that but I find I actually do the complete opposite

I recently needed a new product and was looking to spend about £50. My logic was that if I bought a brand everyone had heard of then I’d be getting maybe £25 of product and £25 of brand name/advertising. By going with the lesser known brand that don’t advertise, all of my £50 is going on the product so I’m getting a product actually worth £50.

I’m aware it’s not that simple and I’ve just made the numbers up but hopefully you get what I mean. :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,787 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 6
    Just to add to my above comment

Rolex is a well known culprit of what I am trying to explain. An average steel Rolex is about £8000 but it’s said by some that the watch is only worth around £1000 in materials and workmanship - the rest is brand name, advertising and celebrity endorsement.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Good points @66Mustang.

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist...as if you didn't know.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,703 Disability Gamechanger
    I rarely watch ads as I really dislike them, especially the 'sponsor' ads that are the same for months at a time in the programmes I watch every day.  if anything it puts me off those products!  :D

I tend to change channels and watch a few minutes of another programme when the ads are on.  However I did watch a couple of ad breaks last night and thought the christmas ads this year seemed a bit weird tbh.  Maybe they're always weird and I've just forgotten but I didn't see any that would make me consider the products!
  • Cress
    Cress Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
    I only actually watch prime and netflix so zero ads...but I do like the leaflets posted through with pics of the different stuff available.  ..especially the desserts and all those different nibbly party foods and snacks..
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Member Posts: 491 Pioneering
    I love the christmas ads, our favourite was the john lewis snowman ad from a few years ago, i made my wife the snowmen from it as christmas decorations, i haven't seen any of the new ones yet

• woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,675 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope where I shop Ads make no difference, but John Lewis have come out with some stunning ads in recent years. I also like Colin the carrot by Aldi.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • Cress
    Cress Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,839 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 6
    Colin the carrot? Haha that was funny.  ;) I've just read that poor "Kevin the carrot" has been axed from Aldi and been replaced with Ebanana Scrooge.  :ohttps://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/aldi-christmas-advert-axes-beloved-25393565
  • Teddybear12
    edited November 6
    Hi @poppy123456 I have just read about Kevin the carrot being axed as well. We will have to see what Ebanana Scrooge is like. A banana is different.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.