Inside the Care Service with Ed Balls — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Inside the Care Service with Ed Balls

Teddybear12
Teddybear12 Member Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
The first part of two part programme was last night. Ed Balls sets off to find what life is really like on the front line for those that work in elderly social care and the people they serve. It was very hard to watch in parts and how care workers earn just above minimum wage as unskilled workers is beyond me. 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,575

Scope community team

That sounds interesting, thanks for sharing @Teddybear12 :) 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    My Grandad sadly passed away yesterday and was in a nursing home after having a fall and subsquently a bleed on the brain that left him with brain damage. I can't fault the staff at the nursing home they were so lovely and really took care of my grandad. Its hard to think that they are only paid mininum wage as I couldn't do what they do.

I'll try take alook on catch up when I can as it looks interesting and if every place and care is like the one my grandad recieved then its shocking to see what they have to do to be paid little and desearve alot more recognition.
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 166

Scope community team

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandad @rubin16, the staff do sound lovely, and it's a comfort to know he was well looked after. My own grandad passed away in his care home last year, just before the pandemic, we were glad that he was in a safe place and looked after too.

As you say, it's difficult to think about how little social care is valued as a job in terms of wages, when it is so vital to society as a whole.

Thanks for sharing @Teddybear12, I'm sure lots of the community will be interested!

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Teddybear12
    Hi @rubin16 Sorry to hear about your grandad. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care.
  • Teddybear12
    I am posting again to bring this back to the top of the threads. I am sure others will want to offer condolences to @rubin16 on the loss of his grandad.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for both the link & 'bumping' this post @Teddybear12 - @rubin16 I'm so sorry about your Grandad; it's very kind of you to share how well looked after he was in his nursing home (you too @Alex_Scope ). I remember, altho it's a long time ago, how well my Dad was looked after in a council run home. We looked at all the nearby private homes first, which were dreadful, but he couldn't have had more compassionate staff than in the council run one. It truly helps when we know how well our loved family members can be looked after by such caring staff.
    You're in my thoughts & prayers too, rubin.
  • bg844
    bg844 Member Posts: 262 Pioneering
    On the subject it baffles me people claiming Carers Allowance/similar are paid so little yet they basically do a full-time job. My carer does a magnificent job especially getting me out and about and for emotional support, of course I pay for meals and give them a treat here and there to show my appreciation. Many things wrong with the world when people who work exceptionally hard are often seen as the low-skilled including those who work in care homes which in my eyes is a much more difficult job. Pure ignorance and I’d love an MP or similar to do their jobs. @rubin16 I hope things manage to get better for you soon, rest in peace to your Grandad.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,730 Disability Gamechanger
    @rubin16 I'm sorry for your loss 

I am fortunate that I have not experienced any of my family having gone into care homes but my mum was a carer she was a home help don't know if they exist anymore 

I've recorded the Ed balls programme to watch 

I watched that programme about the carer who was left on her own in care home during pandemic and then she ran off with one of the patients to keep him from police can't remember what it was called 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,321 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:..can't remember what it was called 
    Help.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Thanks for everyones messages.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 539 Pioneering
    You are welcome @rubin16. It is the very least you deserve. Sending you hugs at this difficult time  <3
    I am a Scope volunteer. I have knowledge about the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 2,180 Pioneering
    I watched it last night. Condolences to @rubin16.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,575

Scope community team

I'm very sorry for your loss @rubin16
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,730 Disability Gamechanger
    I have just watched it and looking forward to next part 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.