Finally have my assessment on Thursday. The wait to get answers seems unfair — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Finally have my assessment on Thursday. The wait to get answers seems unfair

System
System Posts: 644

Scope community team

edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Comments

• EmAhmed
    EmAhmed Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I sent all my paperwork off beginning of June 2021, finally have a telephone assessment on Thursday, then I suppose I've gotta wait again for a desicion which is really unfair so all in all when I get a decision It would probably be over 6 months to get answers  the anxiety and stress it's causing is very severe as well 
  • leeh098
    leeh098 Member Posts: 53 Connected
    I applied a good 5 months ago now, Had my assessment last week, It’s just a waiting game now I’m afraid, Up to 8 weeks for a decision, It depends on the work load in your area, Could be less time.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,573 Disability Gamechanger
    We have lots of members waiting more than 10 weeks for a decision.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 7,005

Scope community team

Waiting times can unfortunately be quite long @EmAhmed :( I hope that your assessment on Thursday goes well, and that you don't have to wait too long to hear back about a decision. 

How are you feeling about the assessment? 

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling anxious and stressed at the moment. Is that something you're receiving any support for? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • D4G2017
    D4G2017 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I called pip today for an update, they said a letter has been sent out today, she gave me the details, i have been awarded standard care and enhanced mobility til 2024 ? but only backdated from September ? wud this be because my issues started beginning of june and i claimed end of june i think im understanding that at the time of claiming it hadn't been 3 months or more.
    Anyhows more than happy now.
  • leeh098
    I called today too for a Assessment Report, But the lady said they haven’t made a decision yet, By the sounds of it, It’s not looking too hopeful for me lol
  • poppy123456
    D4G2017 said:
    I called pip today for an update, they said a letter has been sent out today, she gave me the details, i have been awarded standard care and enhanced mobility til 2024 ? but only backdated from September ? wud this be because my issues started beginning of june and i claimed end of june i think im understanding that at the time of claiming it hadn't been 3 months or more.
    Anyhows more than happy now.

Good news. For PIP, you must have had the conditions for at least 3 months, so that's why it's only backdated to September.
  • poppy123456
    leeh098 said:
    I called today too for a Assessment Report, But the lady said they haven’t made a decision yet, By the sounds of it, It’s not looking too hopeful for me lol

What makes you say that? All it means is exactly what you've been told "a decision's not been made yet" you can't sepculate anything at this stage.
  • leeh098
    leeh098 said:

What makes you say that? All it means is exactly what you've been told "a decision's not been made yet" you can't sepculate anything at this stage.
    Maybe I’m being too eager to know, I have had a decision refused last year, But I requested a Assessment Report today, Maybe that will tell me more :)
  • poppy123456
    leeh098 said:
    leeh098 said:

Maybe I’m being too eager to know, I have had a decision refused last year, But I requested a Assessment Report today, Maybe that will tell me more :)
    Was that for PIP? Did you challenge that decision? If not, was there any reason why? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    Good news @D4G2017 - I'm pleased you're happy with the result,  & @leeh098 agree with Poppy, a decision has not yet been made, so don't be downhearted, thinking about a previous decision. Your assessment report will just show the assessor's recommendations, so you still have to wait for your actual decision letter. The DWP decision maker does usually go with the assessor's recommendation, but not always. The decision maker looks into all the info they've received, & takes everything into account.
  • leeh098
    chiarieds said:
    Good news @D4G2017 - I'm pleased you're happy with the result,  & @leeh098 agree with Poppy, a decision has not yet been made, so don't be downhearted, thinking about a previous decision. Your assessment report will just show the assessor's recommendations, so you still have to wait for your actual decision letter. The DWP decision maker does usually go with the assessor's recommendation, but not always. The decision maker looks into all the info they've received, & takes everything into account.
    Thank you, I’ll just read the report when it arrives and see what happens from there :-)
  • poppy123456
    leeh098 said:
    chiarieds said:
    Thank you, I’ll just read the report when it arrives and see what happens from there :-)

I'm assuming your previous refusal was for PIP. If the worst happens again then i'd advise you to get some expert advice to check whether you qualify. If you do then you can challenge the decision, rather than to constantly re-apply.
  • leeh098
    leeh098 said:
    chiarieds said:

I'm assuming your previous refusal was for PIP. If the worst happens again then i'd advise you to get some expert advice to check whether you qualify. If you do then you can challenge the decision, rather than to constantly re-apply.
    Yes I got refused last year, Because I have Personality Disorder, I appealed against the decision and got 2 points.. But in July I got diagnosed with Autism too, To which I sent PIP evidence of my diagnosis,  The assessment report should arrive this week, Maybe that could give me abit more information.
  • poppy123456
    PIP is not about a diagnosis. It’s how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    Kindly let us know how you get on with your assessor's report @leeh098 - as Poppy says, PIP isn't about your diagnoses, rather how these affect/impact certain aspects of your daily life, &/mobility.
    This link shows how a PIP claim form might be completed, looking into how mental health issues may impact on a person's everyday life.
    Some claimants put too much emphasis on the diagnoses they have, which would rarely be questioned. What is needed is your own detailed examples of exactly the problems you face, as others, even with the same set of problems as yourself, will be affected differently.
  • leeh098
    chiarieds said:
    Kindly let us know how you get on with your assessor's report @leeh098 - as Poppy says, PIP isn't about your diagnoses, rather how these affect/impact certain aspects of your daily life, &/mobility.
    This link shows how a PIP claim form might be completed, looking into how mental health issues may impact on a person's everyday life.
    Some claimants put too much emphasis on the diagnoses they have, which would rarely be questioned. What is needed is your own detailed examples of exactly the problems you face, as others, even with the same set of problems as yourself, will be affected differently.
    Thank you for you’re reply, I will take a look at the link you sent and have a good read through it, I will let you know about the assessment report once I receive it, I requested it today, So maybe sometime this week it should arrive.
  • poppy123456
    The assessment report is not the decision. It’s the assessors opinion based on everything you sent and what you said during the assessment. It’s a recommendation only. Though the do mostly go with the report, it has been known for them to go against it. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.