£20 uplift court case — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

£20 uplift court case

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
Many of you will know that when the UC uplift of £20 per week was brought in last year some people on legacy benefits mainly ESA did not get the £20.
A court case to get this payment is ongoing this week and expected  to conclude tomorrow, if the high court ruling goes in our favour then many of us will be owed £1500 (approx), that is of course if the DWP don't appeal a successful decision.

We await the judges decision.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,807 Disability Gamechanger
    Be nice if it went in our favour, surely the case is right and we all should have gotten the uplift, see what happens

• tcellmutation
    tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    Not sure too many people understand the case. The simplistic version is “they got £20pw. We want £20pw.”

A great theory but even if discrimination is held to be found it’s then up to the government to respond and that response won’t automatically be “okay we give in here’s £20pw”. Far from it. 
    Exactly! They'll pay us the full £1.5K upfront
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I think we'll be doing well if we get £1,000, and they won't pay it out quickly either.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    If they are forced to pay then for those affected it will be the full £1560, my suspicion is that if the DWP lose they will appeal and appeal and appeal, they have a history of doing exactly that.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• tcellmutation
    I think I will get my money. Show me the money!
  • tcellmutation
    Not sure too many people understand the case. The simplistic version is “they got £20pw. We want £20pw.”

A great theory but even if discrimination is held to be found it’s then up to the government to respond and that response won’t automatically be “okay we give in here’s £20pw”. Far from it. 
    Worth posting again perhaps. The chances of a win are unknown. The chances of a win being anything other than phyrric are also low. At best this is likely to be a win in name only.
    I respectfully disagree
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm a legacy benefit claimant myself but to be honest, i'm not expecting to receive any money backdated for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tcellmutation

Worth posting again perhaps. The chances of a win are unknown. The chances of a win being anything other than phyrric are also low. At best this is likely to be a win in name only.
    I respectfully disagree
    Feel free. I’m in weekly contact with one of the parties to the case and we’ve had a couple of long chats about it. Phyrric victory is the phrase being banded about.
    If money does get backdated to everyone can I have half of yours?
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering

Hi all,

Please can we all be reminded that, when sharing opinions about the UC uplift, we respect one another's views, and to be mindful of making light-hearted comments that could be easily misread.

Out of interest, what result would everyone like to see if the court case were to be found unlawful?

Thank you :) 

Libby

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    @Libby_Scope personally if we won the case, I'd like all the money we should have received paid in full and a public apology.  But I know that this is wishful thinking.
  • tcellmutation
    World cost the government billions of pounds in backpay wouldn't it?
  • Toffee
    Toffee Community member Posts: 251 Pioneering
    Why is the court decision takeing so long 
  • tcellmutation
    Toffee said:
    Why is the court decision takeing so long 
    I don't know. Why is the court decision taking so long?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Waiting a few months for a court decision is completely normal. The judge has to consider all of the evidence, all of the arguments presented, review the law etc, form a view and write a judgement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tcellmutation
    calcotti said:
    Waiting a few months for a court decision is completely normal. The judge has to consider all of the evidence, all of the arguments presented, review the law etc, form a view and write a judgement.
    Yeh I know, I thought he was telling a joke like knock, knock, who’s there

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.