I'm trying to contact DWP to convert DLA to PIP. RelayUK is constantly busy. Should I write to them? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'm trying to contact DWP to convert DLA to PIP. RelayUK is constantly busy. Should I write to them?

WibblyWoo
WibblyWoo Member Posts: 38 Listener
edited November 20 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am trying to contact DWP PIP to convert my 20 years DLA to PIP
My health has deteriorated considerably in the last few years and I am fed up with waiting for the letter to arrive - so I decided to jump the gun
Problem is POOR speech - can't use the phone - so trying RelayUK - Which I have been trying to contact PIP since Tuesday - constantly busy
I was considering writing to them - but am unsure ?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,821 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

First off I would get 

Some expert advice about transferring to pip it isn't the same as dla and has diffetent criteria 

You need to ensure you meet the criteria before thinking about moving over 

You could write to them but there are very long postal delays at dwp so you may not get a quick response 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • WibblyWoo
    I have spent the last few years looking at the PIP crieria and have finally got round to trying to apply for it !
    Just one question at this point
    Does anyone know why DWP in their wisdom only run the phone line from 09:00 to 17:00 on weekdays ?
    Surely, with the number of applicants at present, they should at least accept calls over the weekend?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,702 Disability Gamechanger
    I thought that as well.  I had to ask a relative to phone them recently, but that relative works a 9-5 themselves which makes it difficult.

I guess they'd have to pay extra for evening/weekend staff?  Adding a text based chat system and an online 'management' system would be helpful as well.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,797 Disability Gamechanger
    Regardless of the extent to which you have looked at the PIP criteria, the decision to accelerate a claim for PIP carries a risk, which means you should really get advice at this point in order to confirm that you will get either the equivalent of your DLA award at minimum. Check out https://advicelocal.uk/ and go get that advice before you make a costly mistake. 

I tried RelayUK this week for a client and was able to connect inside 12 minutes so I wonder how long you’re waiting. An hours wait is not unusual on the main line but not the general experience with the other services. 
  • WibblyWoo
    Thanks - I have asked the local CAB for advice and they told me that they believe that I should receive max "daily living" as well as max "mobility" based on what I told them
    For example :

"Moving around activity principles
    Individuals who cannot stand and then move 20 metres will receive 12 points and
    therefore the enhanced rate of the mobility component regardless of whether they
    need an aid or appliance.
    However, as with all of the activities in the assessment, in order for a descriptor to
    apply, consideration must be given to the manner in which the claimant can
    complete the activity.
    This means that if individuals can stand and then move more than 20 metres, but
    cannot do so in a safe and reliable way, they should receive 12 points and the
    enhanced rate."

I am unable to walk more than a couple of meters without a leg brace and the above tells me that I should receive 12 points
    and similarly the daily living - I estimate at least 20 points are owed to me
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,344 Disability Gamechanger
    WibblyWoo said: I am unable to walk more than a couple of meters without a leg brace and the above tells me that I should receive 12 points
    But how far can you walk with the leg brace?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,720 Disability Gamechanger
    No one is "owed" points for PIP.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,797 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have been to CitA and they advised enhanced rate of both is there some reason they forgot to make the call to start the process off? Also intrigued as to why you quote their web site for mobility but have done your own calculation for daily living. What were there actual calculations for both? Did they also identify the appropriate award period? Bear in mind that whilst you may have identified 20 points a decision maker has no obligation to go beyond 12 and won’t do so normally. 

This is screaming to me that you believe you’ll get more on PIP than DLA and want to drive the process along. Your first post indeed talks about jumping the gun. That may be entirely applicable here.
  • postmanpat68
    postmanpat68 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    @WibblyWoo I have a leg brace and can only walk for around 25m before intense pain but scored 0 points as my assessor didn't mention it in the report and stated I can walk over 200m unaided.
    So nothing is set in stone.
  • WibblyWoo
    No one is "owed" points for PIP.

You know what I mean
  • WibblyWoo
    edited November 21
    @WibblyWoo I have a leg brace and can only walk for around 25m before intense pain but scored 0 points as my assessor didn't mention it in the report and stated I can walk over 200m unaided.

The PIP handbook which is published by DWP says otherwise....
    Who stated the 25 and 200 metre distances - you or the assessor ?
    Did you provide evidence and did they get you to walk ?
    Did you appeal ?
    25 metres unaided is impossible for me repeatedly and safely for myself - more like 2 or 3 metres
    "Individuals who cannot stand and then move 20 metres will receive 12 points and
    therefore the enhanced rate of the mobility component regardless of whether they
    need an aid or appliance."

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 1,994 Pioneering
    edited November 21
    WibblyWoo said:

The PIP handbook which is published by DWP says otherwise
    And if you want to persue it in court - you should be guaranteed a win !

Just to point out a tribunal is not a court, just so we can be accurate and not confuse others. 

*just to point out, the user I quoted edited their post. 
  • poppy123456
    WibblyWoo said:

Did you appeal ?

"Individuals who cannot stand and then move 20 metres will receive 12 points and

postmanpat said they can walk around 25m. Enhanced mobility (moving around) is up to 20m.
  • WibblyWoo
    If you have been to CitA and they advised enhanced rate of both is there some reason they forgot to make the call to start the process off? Also intrigued as to why you quote their web site for mobility but have done your own calculation for daily living. What were there actual calculations for both? Did they also identify the appropriate award period? Bear in mind that whilst you may have identified 20 points a decision maker has no obligation to go beyond 12 and won’t do so normally. 

This is screaming to me that you believe you’ll get more on PIP than DLA and want to drive the process along. Your first post indeed talks about jumping the gun. That may be entirely applicable here.

I have been on DLA for almost 20 years and have been waiting for the PIP conversion for the last 8 - but since DWP do not appear to be in any hurry - I decided to jump the gun
    My health has deteriorated considerably on many fronts and I do feel that I should be sucessful in claiming care and mobility components - hopefully both maximum - since I do pass the descriptor test on both
  • WibblyWoo
    edited November 21
    WibblyWoo said:

Did you appeal ?

postmanpat said they can walk around 25m. Enhanced mobility (moving around) is up to 20m.

So Postmanpat shot him/herself in the foot
    can this distance be completed repeatedly and safely ?
    If not - appeal
  • postmanpat68
    postmanpat68 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    edited November 21
    WibblyWoo  It was a phone assessment and the assessor decided I can walk over 200m despite several examples and written reports from Neurology experts, I am at the MR stage now.

I got 0 points for everything, the medical report didn't seem as it was mine as nothing I said was mentioned, I also had the "you can drive so you have good lower and upper limb strength excuse" despite the fact I drive an automatic and have been given a blue badge in the last 12 months.
  • poppy123456
    WibblyWoo said:

hopefully both maximum - since I do pass the descriptor test on both

Oh dear, is this the PIP self test you completed? In a previous comment you said you got advice from CAB, or was that their website, rather than an actual person?
    The PIP self self is not at all reliable, infact i think it's one of the worst things on the internet. It doesn't give an accurate result at all, unless a person fully understands all the criteria and the majority of people don't.
    Before jumping the gun, i'd advise you again to get some proper expert advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

• WibblyWoo
    edited November 21
    WibblyWoo  It was a phone assessment and the assessor decided I can walk over 200m despite several examples and written reports from Neurology experts, I am at the MR stage now.

I got 0 points for everything, the medical report didn't seem as it was mine as nothing I said was mentioned, I also had the "you can drive so you have good lower and upper limb strength excuse" despite the fact I drive an automatic and have been given a blue badge in the last 12 months.

Well for myself - I will require a face to face assessment - otherwise its not exactly going to last very long - I cannot speak on the phone
    I use a urine collecting device too - so thats 12 points alone
  • poppy123456
    edited November 21
    WibblyWoo said:

I use a urine collecting device too - so thats 12 points alone

You really should take another look at the descriptors because the maximum points for managing toilet needs is 8. Whether maximum points can be scored here depends on why you use this device. I'm sure someone here will advise further on this. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

• calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,344 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 21
    WibblyWoo said: 25 metres unaided is impossible for me repeatedly and safely for myself - more like 2 or 3 metres
    But you said that you can walk 25 m with your leg brace so the correct descriptor is more than 20m but less than 50m (depending on whether or not 25m is to the required standard).
    WibblyWoo said: I use a urine collecting device too - so thats 12 points alone 
    Quite likely to be 2 points for needing an aid or appliance unless you need assistance to manage the device.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.