Hi, my name is Nissan44! I'm under threat for not paying my TV licence — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Nissan44! I'm under threat for not paying my TV licence

Nissan44
Nissan44 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm 77 and I've not paid my tv liscenceI've been bombarded with letters about not paying threating ones and had an investigator at my door luckily I never opened my door they put a note through the letter box. Now I'm under threat from these people reverting to bullying elderly people.we're on a low income but fall short by £25 for pension credit what with the fuel bills gone up monies tight anyway so I can't pay.I was told you can watch tv through freeview but apparently not how can it be free when you have to buy a liscence?so they'll just have fined me at least I can't go to jail in Scotland for debt.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    It's freeview because they don't charge you to watch it like Sky or Virgin etc. If you watch the TV channels as the programs are broadcasted or record them or you watch BBC iplayer then you need a TV license, regardless of what you watch them on.
    If you only watch catch up TV then you don't need a TC license. There's more information here. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/
    I always pay mine by monthly direct debit, which costs me £13.37 per month. Are you able to pay this way?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @Nissan44 :) 

Welcome to the online community!

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation with the TV license and investigator - that must have not been nice to experience. How are you feeling now?

As @poppy123456 kindly commented, you need to purchase a TV license if you are wanting to watch live TV on any form of device (e.g., television, tablet, phone). If you are happy to watch TV on catch up channels, then you do not have to pay for a TV license. However, if you regularly watch the BBC and you plan to watch that on catch up, then you will have to purchase a TV license; you need a TV license to legally use BBC iPlayer. I hope that helps and if you have any further questions, please just let us know :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community from me too @Nissan44 :) I'm also sorry to hear about the experience you've had with your TV licence. I hope that the above comments have cleared things up a bit for you? 

You've mentioned your fuel bills increasing, and money being a bit tight. I just wanted to point you towards our Disability Energy Support service, who may be able to help. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.