Universal Credit Advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Universal Credit Advice?

System
System Posts: 644

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is Ste777!.

Comments

• Ste777
    Ste777 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Re Universal Credit, I took Carol for her first face to face appointment with her work coach at JCP this afternoon. Last week on Thursday we had to agree to our commitments over the phone, Carol had hers, I never got my call. Eventually on Friday it was arranged by my work coach to call me at 4.10pm, it was Carol’s work coach who decided to swap with me, and so she had someone called Sian.
    I’d better mention that we had both received calls from someone called Allan, he was very good, and I told him about my health conditions (disabilities) and he was very understanding which gave me a bit more confidence about changing to UC.
    So back to Friday afternoon, the work coach rang me as arranged, this was to agree to my commitments, now seeing as I’d previously stated my health conditions a week or so earlier, shouldn’t I have had an appointment prior to agreeing to my commitments to allow them to evaluate my health conditions, and maybe they could then put me in the correct group?
    But of course that didn’t happen, so this work coach tells me he has to go through all the commitments stuff, and then I would agree to it. I mention to him about my health conditions, he asks me if I have a fit note, I tell him I can get one but seeing as I’d been ill with Covid, I hadn’t managed to get one yet. He says seeing as I don’t have a fit note I’d be classed as fit for work etc, I said fine and I’ll get a fit note as soon as I can. So the questions start, of course me being me (ADHD) I can’t conform to these questions, none of them related to me given my health conditions. I could tell he was getting irritated, he told me to stick with the questions and not to mention my health conditions again, I couldn’t do it! He was well p***ed off by now and threatened to forget doing the commitments thing as I “wasn’t willing to agree to it”, meaning that would affect our UC payments, he was threatening to sanction me!
    As I said he was p***ed off, then he said to me “I don’t think you even want to work! Then if that wasn’t bad enough he then followed with, “well it seems to me that you’ve already decided that you aren’t going to work ever again!”
    I couldn’t believe what he’d just said to me! I was shocked! He then tells me that he’s going to check with someone what to do next. I was getting upset, what had I done wrong? My eyes filled up, I was just hoping he’d hurry up back and get this over with!
    Eventually he returned and told me he was making an appointment for next Thursday 2nd December, I decided the time 11.10am, for me to go in to see him with my fit note and I guess to talk about my options?
    I had called the doctors and asked for a fit note, I explained why I needed one, the next day a doctor rang me to check what exactly I wanted putting on the fit note, he said that he’d get it posted to me, I told him I’d rather collect it as my appointment was on Thursday. So I go to the doctors today to collect it, and I get told it has already been posted out to me!
    So now I’m hoping my fit note will come tomorrow morning, otherwise I’ll have to go to the appointment without it. I’ve said that I don’t want to go alone, so our eldest said she’d come with me. So I’ll be there face to face with the work coach that was so rude to me on the phone last Friday, and I would think that I’m a victim of disability discrimination?
    Sorry for all the detail, but I thought too much information is better than not enough. I know I’ve left it a bit too late to get advice but any advice would be welcome at such short notice.

Thanks, Ste777
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,329 Disability Gamechanger
    For uc you are classed as fit for work until you have been assessed otherwise 

This involves reporting your medical condition through your journal then supplying fit notes until process is complete 

After being signed off for 28 days your work coach should refer you for work capability assessment 

You will get form to complete about your functionality to work and then have an assessment with a hcp who produces a report to send to a decision maker 

They then decide if you are fit for work or if you should be put into a support group 

Only then do you stop sending fit notes 

The whole process can take months around 10 months 

Your work coach can turn off your commitment during this time but at their discretion 

All this doesn't excuse his rude attitude you can request a diff work coach 

Hope this helps a bit good luck for tomorrow 
  • Ste777
    Ste777 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    @janer1967 thanks for that advice, I’ll see how I get on tomorrow, but I’m definitely asking to change my work coach. After the phone call last Friday I spent the whole weekend and part of Monday with severe depression.
    Depending on how it goes I’ll try and get on here as soon as I can to post how I got on, thanks again.
  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 2,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Ste777 Fingers crossed. Good luck. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,792 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    When you claimed UC did you report your health condition as part of the claim? You would have been advised that you need to provide details of a Fit Note within 7 days confirming that you have a health condition limiting your ability to work.

As advised by janer your work coach has discretion to turn off work commitments but by default under UC you are treated as a jobseeker until such time as a Work Capability Assessment has been carried out and a decision made.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.