Advice - PIP Mandatory Reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Advice - PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

MrJackT
MrJackT Member Posts: 19 Listener
Hello, 

My PIP decision letter came in the post recently and unfortunately I was not awarded PIP, which I strongly disagree with. 

I am wanting some advice, as I am now challenging the decision and writing the Mandatory Reconsideration Letter. 

1) Would the DWP mark against you for quoting the health care professional/decision makers comments that you disagree with and explaining why you disagree? This is because certain comments were made that I disagree with. 
-Comments that they said which are not true and comments that I said which they failed to mention. 

2) Can you send in more evidence once you’ve already posted off the letter. 

3) How long does a mandatory reconsideration take?

4) Can you add information that I forgot to mention in the assessment as the assessments are overwhelming. My mam also helped me write the letter, which I have included in the letter. 

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,652 Disability Gamechanger
    1/ This isn't going to get you a PIP award. What will help if you have't already done this is give a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Put the report away and forget about it, the assessment is in the past. Concentrating on the report if it gets to Tribunal stage can harm your case.
    2/ Yes more evidence can be sent after the letter has been posted but you're better off sending everything with the letter.
    3/ 2-12 weeks.
    4/ You can add as much information as you want but remember they will only take into consideration what your condition was like at the time the assessment took place.
  • MrJackT
    @poppy123456

1) Yes I know, however they have made comments which would mark against the descriptors and I have looked at what I said and what they haven’t mentioned would of got some points. 

2) The decision was made on the 2nd December and I got the letter on the 9th December. I am trying to get in touch with the correct people to get some letters, however it might take them a while to write them hence why I asked this question. 

4) I forgot to mention some points which I have now added after getting the question properly explained to me. 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 2,298 Pioneering
    Bear in mind the assessor is not there to write what you say or tell them, they produce their report based on their judgement of your functional ability to carry out the descriptors. They form their own opinion based on your form, evidence and what you tell them. 
  • poppy123456
    The assessment report is their opinion based on everything you sent and what you said during the assessment. It is not for them to write what you said word for word. Those real world examples are the way forward, as mentioned previously.
    If you're chasing after people for evidence then you need to ask yourself is it needed and will it help? Unless the evidence states exactly how your conditions affect you then is it needed?
    You can send evidence after you've sent the letter but there's no guarantee they will receive it before a decision's made and there's no guarantee they will wait for that evidence, even if you tell them you're going to send extra.
  • MrJackT
    @poppy123456 Yes, the letter would help a lot on how it all affects me on a daily basis. For one, whilst scapula winging is rare it limits your day-to-activities. Such as; lifting, brushing your teeth and rotating the scapula. The scapula only rotates 120 degrees when a normal scapula rotates 180 degrees. The scapula also has no muscle and is just bone. There is more to it but that’s a brief description of one of the conditions. I stated how this condition affects me doing certain actives etc, however as I mentioned the health care professional failed to include many things I said in the report.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 2,298 Pioneering
    edited December 2021
    MrJackT said:
     I stated how this condition affects me doing certain actives etc, 
    Stating doesn’t really help. You need to go into more detail, what happened when you attempted the activity, where were you, was anybody there, what was the consequence of you attempting this activity, etc. 

MrJackT said:
    however as I mentioned the health care professional failed to include many things I said in the report.
    As already advised the HCP is not there to write down in the report what you said. 
  • poppy123456
    MrJackT said:
     however as I mentioned the health care professional failed to include many things I said in the report.
    As advised, they are not there to write word for word what you tell them. This is one of the reasons why requesting the report isn't always a good idea because people then concentrate purely on what was said in the report. Put it to one side and forget about it!

• MrJackT
    Thanks for the advice @poppy123456

I posted the letter off yesterday and it arrived at the DWP today.

Does the DWP usually send you a text to say they’ve received the Mandatory Reconsideration Letter? 

Thanks
    Jack
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,806 Disability Gamechanger
    MrJackT said: Does the DWP usually send you a text to say they’ve received the Mandatory Reconsideration Letter? 
    No
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MrJackT
    @calcotti @poppy123456 As I already mentioned I have sent if the Mandatory Reconsideration Letter. 

However, I have now got a letter from my GP. I also have some other evidence that I would like to include. 

I am obviously going to post this to the DWP to help with the claim. I was wondering do I need to include a little letter asking them to read the new evidence etc and obviously include all the important info. 

Thanks
    Jack
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    MrJackT said:
    Thanks for the advice @poppy123456

I posted the letter off yesterday and it arrived at the DWP today.

I'm assuming you posted it "signed for, next day delivery" if so then it would not have arrived with DWP today. It would have been signed for by someone from Royal Mail sorting office, not someone from DWP and it will be somewhere in the building.  All mail going to DWP has to go through a mail sorting process and it's not classed as arriving until it's been added to the computer and this can take a few weeks.

You don't need to include a letter asking them to read all evidence because they should read it anyway. Just make sure you put your name and NI number on it. Whether the letter is worth sending will depend what exactly it says. GP letters aren't the most useful to send because a GP won't know exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. For evidence, less is always more.
  • MrJackT
    @poppy123456 I paid for the Guaranteed Delivery by 1pm. It was posted to the mail handling site address that was on the PIP decision letter. 

I can assure you the letter from the GP is worth sending, as she mentions certain things. I won’t mention the details, however it is worth sending along with some other things. 
  • poppy123456
    MrJackT said:
    @poppy123456 I paid for the Guaranteed Delivery by 1pm. It was posted to the mail handling site address that was on the PIP decision letter.
    Not guaranteed to be with DWP at all. Infact there's zero chance it will be with them today. Spending money for this service is a waste of money to be honest. Proof of posting is all you need, which is free from any post office.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,299 Disability Gamechanger
    MrJackT said:

I can assure you the letter from the GP is worth sending, as she mentions certain things. I won’t mention the details, however it is worth sending along with some other things. 
    Unless your GP has directed their letter straight to each of the 12 activities and your ability to perform then reliably it remains highly unlikely it will carry any value or weight. A diagnosis, description of symptoms, treatment and medication are largely irrelevant as they won’t be in dispute. Prognosis may help with award length but won’t be relevant unless you get an award. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.