What benefits could I be entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What benefits could I be entitled to?


I am thinking about handing a sick note at work because I have been struggling with several things. 

I usually work 16-20 hours a week, however I sometimes work 18-25 hours a week. 

If I was to hand in a sick note what benefits could I be entitled to? 



  • Libby_Scope
    Libby_Scope Posts: 756

    Scope community team

    Hi @MrJackT :) 

    I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with your health and work. I think the best option here would be to contact a professional who can advise you further, once you've outlined your full situation etc. Advice local is a great place to start to gain local advice about benefits, work, and money etc. 

    The information that Advice Local provide is tailored to your location and is classified as a reputable source. 

    If you have any further queries or questions, please don't hesitate to get in contact :)

    Online Community Information Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,135 Disability Gamechanger
    First off you would get statutory sick pay (SSP), anything else will depend on your own and household circumstances.
    You could try one of the benefit checkers: turn2us or entitled2.
    Please be nice to new members 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,781 Disability Gamechanger
    SSP is payable for 28 weeks from your employer. You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UNiversal Credit. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. Report your health condition if you claim and send in fit notes from your GP.
    A claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming.
    3 months before your SSP ends if you're paid the correct amount of NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you can claim New style ESA. You won't receive any payments until your SSP ends and you'll need your SSP1 form and a fit note from your GP to claim this.
    If you claim both of those together the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.