PIP DECISION- WAITING TIME — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP DECISION- WAITING TIME

Charlotty2021
Charlotty2021 Member Posts: 21 Listener
Hi everyone, 

I applied for PIP on 9th December. I’ve just been told by a PIP customer advisor that the waiting time is 5 months for an interview and then a further 3 months after that for a decision to be made! He said 8/9 months in total. Has this been the case for anyone else? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Anything up to 10 months as a guide. We have members here that are still waiting several months after applying.
  • Charlotty2021
    Oh my goodness. I had no idea it was that length of time. Thanks for your reply. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 7,005

Scope community team

It can unfortunately take a while @Charlotty2021, as poppy123456 has said. Waiting times do vary though, so it's hard to say how long it'll be.

Will you be able to cope okay in the meantime? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Charlotty2021
    It was actually my UC work coach who told me to apply for PIP as my conditions have prevented me being able to work much at all. I was hoping the PIP could offer assistance but I guess the time frame was just a shock. Thanks for everyone’s support. I’ve found this forum so helpful x 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,765 Disability Gamechanger
    It was actually my UC work coach who told me to apply for PIP as my conditions have prevented me being able to work much at all. I was hoping the PIP could offer assistance but I guess the time frame was just a shock. Thanks for everyone’s support. I’ve found this forum so helpful x 
    Just to check - have they also referred you for a Work Capability Assessment under UC (or have you already had one)?

(PIP has nothing to do with work.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Charlotty2021
    I was awarded LCWRA last month. X 
  • calcotti
    I was awarded LCWRA last month. X 
    Good.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rayrar80
    rayrar80 Member Posts: 58 Connected
    Hi, i applied on 9th of aug, had my phone assesment on 3rd of dec and just waiting for the decision, hope it all goes well for you.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,234 Disability Gamechanger
    If you type the words “PIP waiting time” into the search on this site you will find the number of recent threads on this subject runs comfortably into double figures and always with the same answer. 

It absolutely escapes me why moderators don’t step in and guide people to previous threads or the search function. It would be a much better use of everyone’s time.
  • Charlotty2021
    Thanks everyone x 
  • ChrisH90
    ChrisH90 Member Posts: 19 Listener
    Hi everyone, 

I applied for PIP on 9th December. I’ve just been told by a PIP customer advisor that the waiting time is 5 months for an interview and then a further 3 months after that for a decision to be made! He said 8/9 months in total. Has this been the case for anyone else? 
    I waited 9 months for a decision.. For them to say No and score me 0 points.
  • Charlotty2021
    Oh wow. That’s not encouraging. So sorry to hear that. 
  • ChrisH90
    Oh wow. That’s not encouraging. So sorry to hear that. 
    I have Autism and other problems which effect me daily, The lady on the telephone assessment seemed to think I was perfectly fine after a brief 30 min phone call.
  • Charlotty2021
    I’m so sorry. You must feel really horrible and misunderstood. Sorry that was your experience. 
  • mikehughescq
    Your outcome will not be determined by the length of time waited but by the quality of your PIP 2. If you have retained a copy, and that is the bare minimum to do with any benefit claim, a good use of the waiting time would be to review it in light of what you may have learned on this site about anecdotal evidence and real world examples. You may also want to look at whether you have requested a specific award length and fix that too if you have not.
  • ChrisH90
    Your outcome will not be determined by the length of time waited but by the quality of your PIP 2. If you have retained a copy, and that is the bare minimum to do with any benefit claim, a good use of the waiting time would be to review it in light of what you may have learned on this site about anecdotal evidence and real world examples. You may also want to look at whether you have requested a specific award length and fix that too if you have not.
    I have given them real world examples in my MR and sent them diagnosis letters from ASD, I guess I’ll just wait and see, It’s just frustrating how someone can give an opinion after a 30 minute phone call, I had a good read of the Assessment report and seen numerous times how she didn’t tell the truth on her report.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,573 Disability Gamechanger
    ChrisH90 said:
    I have given them real world examples in my MR and sent them diagnosis letters from ASD, I guess I’ll just wait and see, It’s just frustrating how someone can give an opinion after a 30 minute phone call, I had a good read of the Assessment report and seen numerous times how she didn’t tell the truth on her report.

You have been advised a few times that when they write the report, it's their opinion based on everything you sent and what you said during the asseessment. If they wrote exactly what you said word for word there would be no point in having the assessment in the first place.
    Diagnosis letters aren't the best evidence because usually a diagnosis is not in question and PIP isn't about a diagnosis.
  • mikehughescq
    edited January 8
    A diagnosis letter is irrelevant. Your diagnosis will not be in dispute.
  • Mrscinq
    Mrscinq Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, 

I applied in August and had my phone consultation (which lasted an hour) on 17th December.  She told me up to 12 weeks for a decision after that.. Needless to say Im still waiting..

• calcotti
    Mrscinq said:..on 17th December.  She told me up to 12 weeks for a decision after that.. Needless to say Im still waiting..
    Because it's only been three weeks, with three bank holidays in that period,

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.